Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 5:45:28 PM EDT
I'm a part-time LEO and have been wanting an AR for quite some time and have finally approached the price range with my savings account.  Through the pd, I understand that we can get a decent deal on an AR from a couple different manufacturers.  Bushmaster's site stated that they stamp the AR with law enforcement label of some kind.  Would it be illegal for me to own if I ever resigned my position.  Not that I intend to anytime soon, but don't want to spend the money on something I'll be forced to sell.  I'm not looking for a dept only AR, but an officer purchase.  Which manufacturers offer the best deals for officers?  Would I be better off just purchasing a civilian post ban model (can't quite afford a preban)?  Any help, comments, or suggestions would be much appreciated.  Cash donations are also accepted.  *grin*  Thanks.

Misanthrope
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question i've been wondering myself.

I'm not very well versed as most here are but i believe the purchase and ownership is quite legal as long as you're still a LEO.  What happens to the rifle IF you were to resign is another question.  I'm assuming if you purchase using a Department letterhead that your agency will offer you to transfer/sell ownership to another LEO.

I took the easy way out by purchasing a post-ban AR.  If i were to get killed or something crazy like that i'd like someone in my family to be able to inherit it.

Besides, i have no need for a flash supressor, bayonet, or folding stock.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I know Armalite does and I'd guess the other mfgrs. have people serving as LE liaisons or LE sales managers.

A phone call to them should get you the info. you need.  LEO most likely denotes pre/post features such as flash suppressor, folding stock, etc.

Postban units are usually available with a LE discount.  Owning it personally will subject the cost to the Fed. tax,  but it's a lot simpler to pay it now than mess with it later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top