Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 9:06:44 PM EDT
I've been fighting my laptop for over a month now.  Hard drive was slowly going to hell in a handbag.  I finally bought a new hard drive and tried to load my backup, then my system restore discs to set the computer up like it was when I bought it.  For 3 days nothing worked.  (3 days without arfcom, it was horrible.)  Finally I got hold of a copy of Ubuntu and it installed with no problems.  I've only been using it for about 30 minutes but it seems to be doing alright.  Preliminary reports are good, and my wallet is happy I won't be having to pay $200 for a new copy of windows 7.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I switched for a full year to Ubuntu until Win 7 came out.

Download this book:

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

Try to learn what linux is really doing.  Most distributions are to the point now that you do not need to know any command line stuff.  People believe that when you drag a DVD icon from the desktop to the trash, it somehow magically "ejects" the disk, when in actuality, it is typing EJECT -v on the command line behind the scenes...  (If I fked that up, please dont persecute me linux gurus!)

Don't get caught up in the "I need to blow my system away every 6 mos to have the latest distribution" craze like I do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:59:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm another former linux user that went full time win7

it's that awesome.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

it's that awesome.

I waited to buy this laptop until 7 came out and I really liked it.  7 seems to me like Microsoft went back to XP and then did everything they failed to do when they created Vista.  I loved it, but when my hard drive crapped out I couldn't get the system restore discs to work.  I "installed" ubuntu onto a flash drive and it loaded without a hitch.  So far ubuntu isn't up to par with Windows 7, at least until I learn how to use it, but it will do until I can save up $200.  When I do put Windows 7 back on this machine I'll probably keep Ubuntu as a backup operating system.  My roommate has been telling me this will be a "good way to get into computers and programming without Windows telling me I'm a bad person for trying to know what I'm doing."

P.S. Thanks for the link, Mugzilla.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's that awesome.

I waited to buy this laptop until 7 came out and I really liked it.  7 seems to me like Microsoft went back to XP and then did everything they failed to do when they created Vista.  I loved it, but when my hard drive crapped out I couldn't get the system restore discs to work.  I "installed" ubuntu onto a flash drive and it loaded without a hitch.  So far ubuntu isn't up to par with Windows 7, at least until I learn how to use it, but it will do until I can save up $200.  When I do put Windows 7 back on this machine I'll probably keep Ubuntu as a backup operating system.  My roommate has been telling me this will be a "good way to get into computers and programming without Windows telling me I'm a bad person for trying to know what I'm doing."

I don't understand. If your computer came with 7 on it, what's stopping you from getting a copy of the disk from somewhere and reinstalling using the license code that's somewhere on the bottom of your computer? Perhaps under the battery?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's that awesome.

I waited to buy this laptop until 7 came out and I really liked it.  7 seems to me like Microsoft went back to XP and then did everything they failed to do when they created Vista.

No, it's just Vista with a new wrapper and some under the hood improvements. Internally it was called Vista R2.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Regardless what's under the hood, 7 is a is a major improvement over Vista.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's that awesome.

I don't understand. If your computer came with 7 on it, what's stopping you from getting a copy of the disk from somewhere and reinstalling using the license code that's somewhere on the bottom of your computer? Perhaps under the battery?

I'll have to look into that.  I just know the discs I have are fubar'd (or my disc reader is fubar'd) and Ubuntu is the only thing I could get to work.  I'll look into what you said, then I can have two operating systems.  And for some reason that appeals to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Regardless what's under the hood, 7 is a is a major improvement over Vista.

Amen
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]
i run a dual boot here Win 7 with Ubuntu
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top