Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 6:42:28 AM EDT
I recently bought a sig sauer 1911 .22 from grabagun and when it showed up at my Maryland ffl dealer there was no shell case with the firearm. As you all know the great state of Maryland requires a casing with the handgun, so I am either going to have to find someone in MD that will fire it or send it back to G.a.g. Do any of you know which gun manufacturers provide a casing with a new gun, because I am interested in other handguns such as glock and rock island.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You should just move to a free state.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I got Maryland cases with the last three new handguns I have purchased.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]
My last RIA did. Don't remember for Glock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
What exactly is the purpose of having a fired shell casing?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

To waste a bunch of the taxpayers' money and help politicians pretend they care about the Children.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Bought a Glock  couple of years ago and had this envelope with a shell case with it.
Felt too dumb to ask what the hell this is for.

Figured it was something like the Sig targets you get in the case.
Yea Glock just showing you that it does fire.

Stupid me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought rimfire was exempted.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a similar thread with a lot of responses.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#10]
My last several guns have had this casing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Allegedly, your chamber and firing pin are unique to your gun. Three imprint made after firing it will thus also be unique. So if you leave casings behind at a crime scene, they can identify you...in theory.

Not sure how many cases have been solved in this manner. I'd guess a few at least...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#12]
O.P. A manufacturer in MD can fire a round from the gun and provide the shell casing to the MDSP in lue of sig doing it. Ask on MDShooters and they'll point you towards someone who can without having to send the gun back.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Move to a free state.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brass whores.

That snarky little bastard that's always hovering around your bench at the shooting range, yeah...that guy.   He got a job with the state.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

supposedly so their CSI guys can match up casings found at crime scenes

NY finally scrapped their program after realizing it was costing millions of dollars and hadn't solved a single crime
I had to get casings for my single action revolver, like a criminal is going to leave casings behind if they use one of those in a crime

I'm glad ny finally killed the program, and think other states should too, but if they insist on doing it wouldn't a fired bullet with the rifling marks be worth more from an investigation standpoint?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering they literally throw the casing in a 55 gallon drum in a shipping container in their crime lab parking lot as they don't have funds to record them...wasting your time and money is the purpose.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stay in MD and fight for your Freedom.

Never give up, never compromise, never surrender.

If everyone moves to a Free State, MD wins.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Allegedly, your chamber and firing pin are unique to your gun. Three imprint made after firing it will thus also be unique. So if you leave casings behind at a crime scene, they can identify you...in theory.

Not sure how many cases have been solved in this manner. I'd guess a few at least...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially those cases that used a revolver, or stolen gun, or brass catcher, or gun with slide/barrel/ejector/extractor replaced...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok, OP, youve gotta learn, their (red) state, their rules.  Which means, if I lived in some fucked up place like that, I would bring my own spent shell casing with me every time to toss in if there isnt one there.

BOOM!  Mind blown!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok, OP, youve gotta learn, their (red) state, their rules.  Which means, if I lived in some fucked up place like that, I would bring my own spent shell casing with me every time to toss in if there isnt one there.

BOOM!  Mind blown!!!!!
View Quote

Spent casing can only be supplied by a Manufacturer (07 iirc) FFL.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#21]
MD admits it does not have the capability to process the casings. I last heard the machine had been broken for years. MD regulates handgun sales and does a very poor job of it causing delays and wasting more money then you can imagine. They have to continually reprint the forms because of stupid mistakes. The latest idiocy was just this week. the moron reviewing the forms could not read and was rejecting them all for not being filled out properly. It was her not being able to understand the wording of the question did not require a reply. I heard from a dealer the person has been relieved of her position but I doubt that is the case. They can't understand why we have a crime problem when they keep going after honest folks and let the criminals run the show.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Makes sense now:

New York General Business Law § 396-ff(2) requires any firearms manufacturer that ships, transports or delivers a handgun to any person in New York to include a separate sealed container with a shell casing of a bullet or projectile discharged from the handgun, along with additional information that identifies the handgun and shell casing.
A state-licensed gunsmith or firearms dealer must, within ten days of delivering a handgun received on or after March 1, 2001, forward to the Division of State Police the sealed container enclosing the shell casing from the handgun. Section 396-ff(5). The state police must enter the pertinent ballistic information into an automated electronic databank (the “Combined Ballistic Identification System” or “CoBIS”) designed to ensure compatibility with national ballistic technology. Section 396-ff(6).
For detailed information on CoBIS, see N.Y. Comp. Codes R. & Regs. tit. 9, § 472.1 et seq.
View Quote

Here, the spent casing goes to the purchaser.

MOAR
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes;  move to Texas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
MD admits it does not have the capability to process the casings. I last heard the machine had been broken for years. MD regulates handgun sales and does a very poor job of it causing delays and wasting more money then you can imagine. They have to continually reprint the forms because of stupid mistakes. The latest idiocy was just this week. the moron reviewing the forms could not read and was rejecting them all for not being filled out properly. It was her not being able to understand the wording of the question did not require a reply. I heard from a dealer the person has been relieved of her position but I doubt that is the case. They can't understand why we have a crime problem when they keep going after honest folks and let the criminals run the show.
View Quote

The machine isn't just broken, the State Police sold the broken parts on eBay.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

To waste a bunch of the taxpayers' money and help politicians pretend they care about the Children.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In other words, it was intended to allow forensic identification of what firearm fired what casings found at a crime scene by allowing a match by firing pin strike.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

It was started by a bunch of retards that watched too many CSI shows and actually think they can solve a murder by matching up the fired cases at a crime scene.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bought a Glock  couple of years ago and had this envelope with a shell case with it.

Stupid me.
View Quote

Glock always sends un-reloadable blaser cases.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid me.

Yup, aluminum cases.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Considering they literally throw the casing in a 55 gallon drum in a shipping container in their crime lab parking lot as they don't have funds to record them...wasting your time and money is the purpose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't everyone have a collection of random range pick up brass in a variety of calibers?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In other words, it was intended to allow forensic identification of what firearm fired what casings found at a crime scene by allowing a match by firing pin strike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was talking to one of our crime lab guys and he mentioned having a hell of a time doing forensics on a recent officer involved shooting.

Seems at least 3 officers had to use their patrol rifles, and he couldn't match any of their fired cases to a particular rifle.
ARs are apparently so consistent that that type of forensics is impossible.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already have won!!! MD is lost as are several other states. I could not live under the draconian rules that were levied against me. I fought against the laws and it just doesn't matter. no matter how the rest of the state votes, it is impossible to out vote the commies in Montgomery co and the dead people in Baltimore. I decided to escape while there was still a few places that were still free as this seemed like a better option than ending up in jail or dead.!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I received a casing in a signed envelope when I bought my XD. Was I supposed to send that in or something??
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I received a casing in a signed envelope when I bought my XD. Was I supposed to send that in or something??
View Quote

I destroy mine.

Actually, sending in a flat rate box of junk brass might be funny.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I left MD for good nine days ago, and I've never felt more relaxed.

That fight has long been lost.

Now I'm here in GA, and I can cash and carry a Colt 6920 at Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

in md? zero.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I recently bought a sig sauer 1911 .22 from grabagun and when it showed up at my Maryland ffl dealer there was no shell case with the firearm. As you all know the great state of Maryland requires a casing with the handgun, so I am either going to have to find someone in MD that will fire it or send it back to G.a.g. Do any of you know which gun manufacturers provide a casing with a new gun, because I am interested in other handguns such as glock and rock island.
View Quote

What dealer? They should be able to do it for you for a small fee.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

To make it more of a PITA to buy a gun in MD.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the first I've heard that, though I'm not surprised at all.  Was this discussed on MDshooters?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#40]
This is what happens when you dont support your local dealers and buy online instead.  Grab a gun could care less at this point.  And its not your receiving dealers problem.  Good luck
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Want to play "spot the FFL"?

Quoted:
This is what happens when you dont support your local dealers and buy online instead.  Grab a gun could care less at this point.  And its not your receiving dealers problem.  Good luck
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yup, aluminum cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid me.

Yup, aluminum cases.

I've never bothered to open any of those little envelopes.  So that's what's in there!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#44]
After you've fired a few thousand rounds through your gun, the chamber won't be the same, and if you file down the firing pin to make it FA, then that would also change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top