Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2005 2:34:17 PM EDT
I want to learn how to do some basic lockpicking as a hobby but am unsure about the laws of possessing lockpicks in NY. I live way up north far away from the city. I'm up in Utica if that helps at all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I want to learn how to do some basic lockpicking as a hobby but am unsure about the laws of possessing lockpicks in NY. I live way up north far away from the city. I'm up in Utica if that helps at all.

It is sad that this even has to be asked.

Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. But I'd like to be able to have some confidence that I won't get arrested by some JBTs.....

It is a very sad fact....
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged, i'm interested in the answer also.

btw roboman, you are in Utica but under your avitar it's ME?
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
if you have them in your house I dont see why there would be a problem.  outside the house they could probably find something to charge you with.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
There are Federal as well as State restrictions...

www.spysupplystore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=SSS&Screen=terms_lp

I've bought lock picks in the past with no problem (for use in my job as a firefighter). Most mail order outfits don't check and leave the legall resposabilty to the buyer.

Anyway, did you say lived in "Utica"? Is'nt there a prison there?
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not just a NY thing, It is illegal in one form or another in MOST STATES to posess burgular tools, Lock Smiths are also regulated in some way or another.
The actual definations of what is a burgular tool & when it may be possessed vary from place to place.
So be careful.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There are Federal as well as State restrictions...

www.spysupplystore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=SSS&Screen=terms_lp

I've bought lock picks in the past with no problem (for use in my job as a firefighter). Most mail order outfits don't check and leave the legall resposabilty to the buyer.

Anyway, did you say lived in "Utica"? Is'nt there a prison there?

Prison is right up the road in the town of Marcy...thankfully I'm not a resident there however!
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Tagged, i'm interested in the answer also.

btw roboman, you are in Utica but under your avitar it's ME?

I go to college in Utica. I live in Maine....
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I think its one of those things that you can get away with just as long as you don't announce to everyone that you own the tools and are practicing.

I'm not advocating that you break the law, mind you.  Just use your common sense.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think its one of those things that you can get away with just as long as you don't announce to everyone that you own the tools and are practicing.

I'm not advocating that you break the law, mind you.  Just use your common sense.

Good point. My main concern was buying the tools and getting them shipped here....wouldn't want the campus folk to see the package and what not....
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I posess rocks - they are burglar tools.  And guns....they are burglar tools.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not just a NY thing, It is illegal in one form or another in MOST STATES to posess burgular tools, Lock Smiths are also regulated in some way or another.
The actual definations of what is a burgular tool & when it may be possessed vary from place to place.
So be careful.

Link Posted: 2/8/2005 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
well, NY businesses sell them
spyoutlet.com/products/index.cgi?code=3&cat=6
never actually been to the store, but it's not too far from me
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are found wandering around at night in dark clothing with a ROCK I think you may be OK
But Try explaining why you have One of these on your person, You might have a little explaining to do!

Quoted:
I posess rocks - they are burglar tools.  And guns....they are burglar tools.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So be careful.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top