Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 10:00:19 AM EDT
Post your thoughts about the new interface here.

I haven't messed with it too much yet.
I kind of like it.  But, it seems like you have to dig more to get to stuff, like your friends list to see what they are playing.  The Netflix thing could be very cool.  Wonder if they will have a free month offer or anything to entice us?  Haven't checked out the marketplace yet.  I hope it's a bit easier to navaigate, and not simply scrolling through hundreds of demos, movies, add-ons, etc.

The Mii, errr I mean Avatar is silly, and I don't get the point, other that to try and attract the Wii/younger crowd for whatever reason.  I did go ahead and make one, since it pretty much forces you to.  So, I made one that looks like Commander Ikari (see my avatar over there <–––– )

I hear there is a Theme preview feature, which is much needed, but I didn't find it in my few minutes of digging....

I was hoping they would add a basic browser so us Live users could hop on the web to check email and such.  Dunno why they haven't added that feature yet...

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
just downloaded it this morning, so haven't done much besides making an avatar.  i gotta say, i hope they make them more customizable, cuz all the options seem pretty gay right now.

on the upside, i'm really looking forward to streaming netflix, being able to load games from the hard drive, and eight-person private chat.  because of the last two options, i will no longer have to listen to the loud-ass disc-drive or non-arfcom morons talking about inane bs in between games of call of duty.  i'll only have to listen to inance arfcom bs, which i'm perfectly ok with.

gamertag: EighteenAndOne
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
THe Netflix thing is really cool.  Still getting used to the rest of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Vid quality is kind of shitty, but the sheer convenience of it makes up for it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
just downloaded it this morning, so haven't done much besides making an avatar.  i gotta say, i hope they make them more customizable, cuz all the options seem pretty gay right now.

gamertag: EighteenAndOne

+1
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
some buddys came to my dorm room to play some left 4 dead about 2 minutes ago, but now it  is udating for another 20 minutes!  screw this.  It better be worth it!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, the vid quality seems pretty decent.  Better than I expected.  I have a fast connection though.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, the vid quality seems pretty decent.  Better than I expected.  I have a fast connection though.

I'm sitting about 8 ft away from a 46' 1080i capable TV.  If you're on a standard def tv it wouldn't make a difference.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't tried the Netflix feature yet - is HD quality available/possible?

ETA: vern, are you saying that the films are regular tube quality then, or that HD is good?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The Xbox is now a Wii-PS3-iTunes hybrid.

Disconnected mine from the internet after seeing it in action on another Xbox. I don't have Live Gold, therefore I don't need the new downgrade, therefore I won't get it. The install-to-disk option is great. Everything else? Do not want.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ETA: vern, are you saying that the films are regular tube quality then, or that HD is good?

Both.  The movies look to me to be standard def.  Kind of like if you go to "rent" a movie in the marketplace and you choose standard def as opposed to HD, you get the live netflix quality.  My girlfriend said that she couldn't tell the difference with her shitty woman eyes and small woman brain.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Sony is making Netflix take their stuff off the Xbox steaming.  Started with Columbia Pictures.

Here
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#13]
So, there is no SD/HD option on the netflix thing?  I have always entertained the idea that I wouldn't 'need' to upgrade to HD/Bluray, cause I would just download HD movies on my XBox Elite, and I was hoping the netflix thing would prove that to be true.  

I have downloaded a couple HD movies on the XBox before, and while they weren't quite as crisp as a movie viewed with the external HD Drive they were still impressive.  (I have a 50" 1080p Sony Grand Wega)

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My girlfriend said that she couldn't tell the difference with her shitty woman eyes and small woman brain.

Quoted:
Sony is making Netflix take their stuff off the Xbox steaming.  Started with Columbia Pictures

According to the Netflix VP, that's actually a device licensing issue, not Sony going "bite us, Microsoft." Should be cleared up at some point.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, there is no SD/HD option on the netflix thing?  I have always entertained the idea that I wouldn't 'need' to upgrade to HD/Bluray, cause I would just download HD movies on my XBox Elite, and I was hoping the netflix thing would prove that to be true.  

I have downloaded a couple HD movies on the XBox before, and while they weren't quite as crisp as a movie viewed with the external HD Drive they were still impressive.  (I have a 50" 1080p Sony Grand Wega)

???

it's been said that both options, HD and SD, would be available.  HD will be in 1080i, with an eventual upgrade to 1080p.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

it's been said that both options, HD and SD, would be available.  HD will be in 1080i, with an eventual upgrade to 1080p.

I dunno.  I have a friend with Live, Netflix, and HDTV.  Pretty sure he will be checking it out tonight, so I'll try to get his opinion on it as well.  I might fire up the trial and check it out for myself as well...

I'm also curious about this Sony denial thing, that could impact some stuff.  Hopefully it is just a temporary thing with no ill-will going on.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the new GUI it seems pretty good so far. I got a free netflix trial code laying around somewhere i'll have to check it out
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#18]
My Wife says the same thing..
-Evil Nadman
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#19]
A good sized group of us were playing COD5 tonight..

Seems a bit more difficult to just get together and play.. you basically need to have two parties going now, an xboxlive party, and a call of duty party..

then the chat gets screwed up between the two parties....

I kinda like the old way better, it was just easier and more simple which allowed you to play with less hassle.. perhaps we just need more time to figure the system out?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Downloaded the up date this afternoon. only took a few minutes. Netflix needs some work. no HD or 5.1 DD. Installing games to disk is very nice. they take up allot of space, but the optical not spinning constantly is great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sitting about 8 ft away from a 46' 1080i capable TV.  If you're on a standard def tv it wouldn't make a difference.

46" 1080p here.  The netflix looks better than some of my regular cable channels.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm not a big fan of it, although I did make my avatar so that my own mother couldn't tell us apart.

The only thing that really bugs me is the friends list.  It was so simple before, and now it's a showroom for everyone elses avatars.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#23]
If you use the Xbox button on the controller, you can access the friends menu, messages and a lot of stuff the way you're accustomed to.  It took me a hot minute to figure that out last night.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not a big fan of it, although I did make my avatar so that my own mother couldn't tell us apart.

The only thing that really bugs me is the friends list.  It was so simple before, and now it's a showroom for everyone elses avatars.

Exactly.  Leave it to microsoft to turn a simple thing into and overly complex shitbox that has a 10 year old appeal to it.  

I don't like it at all.  I'm quite pissed off at it and all these useless features.  BAH HUMBUG.  I want my old Xbox live experiance back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seems a bit more difficult to just get together and play.. you basically need to have two parties going now, an xboxlive party, and a call of duty party..

the new 8 person private chat is an optional bonus when you play.  you can still invite friends to games and play without inviting them to the party.

it's just nice that you can make your own party so you don't have to listen to the other random idiots in the game lobby in between games.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I thought the intro video was cool.

I'm wonder if they;re going to do something like the PS3's homeworld thingy

Anyone try the party invite yet?

Says you can have up to 8 people on all at once.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the new 8 person private chat is an optional bonus when you play.  you can still invite friends to games and play without inviting them to the party.

it's just nice that you can make your own party so you don't have to listen to the other random idiots in the game lobby in between games.

Yeah, but that's only good until we completely stack a room with 12 ARFCOMers

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly, so what i found out is you can switch between party chat and game chat very quickly.  all you do is push the xbox guide button (ya know, the big geen "X" in the middle of the controller), go to "party," and change "party chat" to "game chat."

i don't know why some people are bitchin and moanin about the new interface.  even though the avatars a little "verned-out," i haven't seen any bugs, i love the streaming netflix, and the 8-person chat was long overdue.  what's not to like?  i think the haters just haven't figured out the interface yet.

-EighteenAndOne
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#29]
im with 18 i thought the big group private chat thing was cool,last night whoever was hosting the party i think it was penthouse? had it all figured out and the new stuff worked well like going in and out of games etc. i think when people get used to it it is
a better set up,and i love the netflix thing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly, so what i found out is you can switch between party chat and game chat very quickly.  all you do is push the xbox guide button (ya know, the big geen "X" in the middle of the controller), go to "party," and change "party chat" to "game chat."

i don't know why some people are bitchin and moanin about the new interface.  even though the avatars a little "verned-out," i haven't seen any bugs, i love the streaming netflix, and the 8-person chat was long overdue.  what's not to like?  i think the haters just haven't figured out the interface yet.

-EighteenAndOne

Yeah, overall its a bit different, but I like most of the changes they've made. The Avatars are just a blatant attempt at trying to compete with the Wii, and are gay. They even made the sounds during creation very Wii-like.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I like it. I think the new interface is slick, modern, and more functional. The avatar thing, eh, I could do without, but it's kind of funny at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#32]
The party chat is cool. Especially when we have a party of eight going with six of us on one team and two on the other telling us where the other guys are at.

I will say the servers have been teh suxors latetly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top