Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/2/2005 4:46:41 AM EDT
From FoxNews:

"To make matters worse, the chief of the Louisiana State Police said he heard of numerous instances of New Orleans police officers — many of whom were from flooded areas — turning in their badges.

"They indicated that they had lost everything and didn't feel that it was worth them going back to take fire from looters and losing their lives," Col. Henry Whitehorn said."
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It's understandable and inexcuseable all at the same time....

ETA...replied before the poll was up.  It is just a job.  It's not the military, so no desertion.  Still inexcuseable from my standpoint.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like cowardice to me. They signed up to do a damn job. Now they need to get their asses in there and do it. Being a cop is a dangerous job. They knew this when they took it. I view these people the same way I view people who join the military for all the benefits, then refuse to go to war. They are leeches. And they are cowards.

BTW, this explains why the city is in chaos.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I say GREAT!!!  Shit, if they're not commited the get out.   If I were a cop, I'd rather have fewer people that I can count on.  No knowing would be hell.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
From FoxNews:

"To make matters worse, the chief of the Louisiana State Police said he heard of numerous instances of New Orleans police officers — many of whom were from flooded areas — turning in their badges.

"They indicated that they had lost everything and didn't feel that it was worth them going back to take fire from looters and losing their lives," Col. Henry Whitehorn said."

They are human.

They can only take so much.

When they realize that the departmental BS and governmental BS that has reigned supreme has CAUSED a lot of these problems, I don't blame them a bit for telling the people responsible for it to go pound sand.

Getting themselves shot by the people that they were never allowed to put away before doesn't appeal to them. And they know that even when the politicos talk about turning them loose to do what needs to be done, it is still just talk.

Who needs all that headache. They get called racists, uncle toms, murderers and whatnot by the media, politicians, and the citizens who are too stupid to see through the fog of idiocy that surrounds NO government.

Combine that with personal losses that are enough to break a man in themselves, and it doesn't suprise me to see people saying "to hell with it. I am out of here".

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Not the most admirable thing to do . But they arent using their "cop" powers for pesonal gain . (no badge) At some point they must figure they'd be nuts to die on that hill for those folks .
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:54:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds like cowardice to me. They signed up to do a damn job. Now they need to get their asses in there and do it. Being a cop is a dangerous job. They knew this when they took it. I view these people the same way I view people who join the military for all the benefits, then refuse to go to war. They are leeches. And they are cowards.

No, it DOESN'T.

Chicago has a lot of GOOD police officers who are ready to throw in the towel. Why? Because the idiot politicians and government officials there won't let them DO THEIR JOBS. They hire the WRONG kinds of people and if you go to certain parts of the city you don't get backup because those parts of the city are too "dangerous".

Odds are some of the officers quitting are indeed cowards. But I am willing to bet that a good number of them are the GOOD officers in NO that have just had enough of the BS.

They have worked their heart out trying to improve the city, but have been stopped by the idiot city officials trying to win votes. Suddenly all the bad decisions and refusals to actually do something about crime by the city officials is coming home to roost, and now they expect the officers to abandon all concerns for personal safety and clean up their mess?

Screw that!

I guarantee you there is a LOT of that going on.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd rather see them get out instead of filling the shopping carts while in uniform.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#11]
They are Civillians, they can do whatever they want.  

This has been discussed on this site numerous times before in theory, and has now proved true.  In a SHTF situation, After the initial event, many Law Enforcement officers will be more concerned about getting their own families to safety.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I find it disgusting.  Firstly, while they may have lost everything, they should never have lost their pride.  Being a cop is really far more than just a job.  I guess to those who left, thats all it was.  Good riddence.  They will never be cops again.  I sure wouldn't want them watching my back.

yes, all while your family is out there somewhere in the flood by themselves(provided the ones who quit had families), would you want to leave your family out there alone in the middle of a warzone to go play with gangbangers or take care of your loved ones first? That city is ANARCHY, that bitch of a gov is just trying to keep her job and it play it out like things are still hopeful.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Fucking pussies, they signed up for the job, in my eyes they are just as bad as the looters. That would be like me fucking joining the military and than saying I don't want to do this any more and running to mexico when my unit is to deploy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Doesn't surprise me in the least.

The lack of support and direction they have received is amasing.  It has been like sending soldiers into battle without weapons or supplies and then telling them they can't fight back.

There isn't a NOLA police department out there just a bunch of individuals wearing uniforms most trying to do the right thing.

Quite frankly I am surprised the majority of them haven't left which is a testimony to their dedication.

Tj

Amen.

The good cops in NO have put up with all sorts of BS. When they see their homes destroyed, the entire city going nuts because the people they have been trying to put away for YEARS have been given free reign, the idiot politicians forbidding them from using reasonable force because we are past the days where we shoot looters, and then see the idiots from WITHIN the department LOOTING alongside those jokers, why fight it?

They asked for hell, now they have it, and I am through trying to protect them from it.

Screw it.

I guarantee you those were the words behind a lot of badges being turned in.

And they are right.

One can only plug a dike for so long.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I find it disgusting.  Firstly, while they may have lost everything, they should never have lost their pride.  Being a cop is really far more than just a job.  I guess to those who left, thats all it was.  Good riddence.  They will never be cops again.  I sure wouldn't want them watching my back.

I am sure some of the quitters are exactly as you describe.

But being an officer, you ought to know the kind of nonsense BS cops have to put up with, ESPECIALLY in places that are completely governed by idiots like N.O. And you ought to know that a man can only stand for so much of that BS before he gets fed up and leaves.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it's is understandable, but they should never be permitted to work in law enforcement again.    If they can't take it when they are really needed then they have no business being in that field again.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This has been discussed on this site numerous times before in theory, and has now proved true.  In a SHTF situation, After the initial event, many Law Enforcement officers will be more concerned about getting their own families to safety.  

Yep, now it's no longer a theory.

I'm in no position to judge them.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#20]
There are reports of SWAT teams having to retreat and lock themselves in
police stations .

One of the reporters reporting from the roof of a police station last
night said  " We can't show you any video of the fires because
they have been shooting at us all night and Police have been returning fire "

It's way beyond looting now

Can't say I blame some of them for not showing up for work
if they are out gunned and not getting any equipment
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes, but the time to leave is not during the middle of the worste crisis the city has ever faced.

I agree.

I would venture that most had already gotten their families out of the area.

I would hope so.

That is fine.  The thing to do then, is return and do your job.  Peace officers from all over the country, full time and reserve are clamoring to help and have their stuff ready to go when FEMA gives the word just to reenforce these guys, and they are bugging out and quitting.

It is one thing to come in as the re-enforcements. It is another to have been in the trenches of the worst parts of NO for years to no effect, and to know that after all of this is over things will go right back to the way they were because the same idiots will still be in power.

That's a lot to ask of a man.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
police stations .

Indeed.

They are facing a type of hell down there that probably only the soldiers in Iraq can understand fully, except this is AMERICANS doing all the harm.

It is enough to demoralize anyone.

What they need is someone like George Patton to rally them and turn them from being on defense to going out and hunting down the f*ckers who are doing all the damage, and making sure every last one of them meets his maker TODAY.

But every politico around there would get woozy if you even mentioned such a thing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:10:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#24]
If they quit now when the goin' is tough, the same shithead should NEVER EVER be able to get back into a position of responsibilty or authority, esp. if the public safety is involved.  I say, good riddence to you.   I doubt, but hope that they'll be any repercussion at all for their actions.  That's now how America is anymore.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
police stations .

Indeed.

They are facing a type of hell down there that probably only the soldiers in Iraq can understand fully, except this is AMERICANS doing all the harm.

It is enough to demoralize anyone.

What they need is someone like George Patton to rally them and turn them from being on defense to going out and hunting down the f*ckers who are doing all the damage, and making sure every last one of them meets his maker TODAY.

But every politico around there would get woozy if you even mentioned such a thing.

Under the provisions of the Patriot Act, the .gov has expanded powers to deal with the insurgent combatants on the street in New Orleans.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Under the provisions of the Patriot Act, the .gov has expanded powers to deal with the insurgent combatants on the street in New Orleans.

Having the legal power is one thing.

Living with the consequences of using those powers is a whole other thing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#27]
"Fucking pussies, they signed up for the job, in my eyes they are just as bad as the looters. "

Maybe there's just not a winning situation for the good guys in some of these areas and situations.

Perhaps you should go down there with a gun and get in the middle of their gang wars and be referee.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#28]
There are consequences for NOT using those powers.  It seem like NO right now is completely out of control.  Some pretty friggin' drastics needs to be done to restore SOME order.  A tough decision:  there can be no doubt.   Does this tough decision need to be made two days ago:  there can be no doubt about that either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:27:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
"Fucking pussies, they signed up for the job, in my eyes they are just as bad as the looters. "

Maybe there's just not a winning situation for the good guys in some of these areas and situations.

Perhaps you should go down there with a gun and get in the middle of their gang wars and be referee.

Amen.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From FoxNews:

They are human.

They can only take so much.

When they realize that the departmental BS and governmental BS that has reigned supreme has CAUSED a lot of these problems, I don't blame them a bit for telling the people responsible for it to go pound sand.

Getting themselves shot by the people that they were never allowed to put away before doesn't appeal to them. And they know that even when the politicos talk about turning them loose to do what needs to be done, it is still just talk.

Who needs all that headache. They get called racists, uncle toms, murderers and whatnot by the media, politicians, and the citizens who are too stupid to see through the fog of idiocy that surrounds NO government.

Combine that with personal losses that are enough to break a man in themselves, and it doesn't suprise me to see people saying "to hell with it. I am out of here".

Absolutely.  + a jillion
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Doesn't surprise me in the least.

The lack of support and direction they have received is amasing.  It has been like sending soldiers into battle without weapons or supplies and then telling them they can't fight back.

There isn't a NOLA police department out there just a bunch of individuals wearing uniforms most trying to do the right thing.

Quite frankly I am surprised the majority of them haven't left which is a testimony to their dedication.

Tj

You're a very wise man.

+1

HH
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#33]
1 more comment, how can people expect these officers to be law enforcment officers in a place where there is no law?
They can't arrest people, they have no where to take people, they can't rescue people, there doesn't seem to be many if any standing orders, what the heck are they suppossed to do, just stand there outgunned and trade fire just to say they're "on the job"?

They signed up to do a job for certain but that job was to enforce laws, not enforce no laws.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#34]
tough to be a cop in a war zone. The PD has hands tied in regards to rules of engagement.  Perhaps idf the NG was sent in to clear the streets it would be better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

EXACTLY!!!   BIG +1!!!.......
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Easier to join in the looting without that badge getting in the way.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:08:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Funny responses on a website where members regularly post about taking care of their own family first............................... Complaining when others try to do the same thing, instead of continuing to show up at the $6-7.50 an hour job...............................................
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I would like to hear from some of the guys who post over in Brothers of the Shield. I know there are some from the NO area. Unfortunately they're probably not logged in here at the moment. I defer my uninformed opinion (a rare occurance).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It didn't look like there was a winning situation for the 101st Airborne at Bastogne but they stayed, and they were facing a little stiffer opposition than disorganized criminals with semi-automatic rifles.

Aimless, thats the point, Cops aint the military, and should not be held to the same standards.  They are Civillians entrusted with upholding the law.  The Situation in NOLA is that of armed terrorists engaging US Military targets.  Its no longer a LEO op In my mind.  Its time to send in the troops to take care of that business covered in the "Or Domestic" part of the Oath.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#40]

A responsible person takes care of their family first. If their family is not safe they have no business going into that mess.

I can't throw stones at someone trying to save their family. If they show up here looking for a job, family in tow, I'd be happy to have them hired as my police. They have their priorities straight.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Funny responses on a website where members regularly post about taking care of their own family first............................... Complaining when others try to do the same thing, instead of continuing to show up at the $6-7.50 an hour job...............................................

So you condone Cops pussing out at riots anytime anywhere??? They signed up for the job, I'm sure they enjoyed the benifits of ACTING the part and being the man with the gun when all was okay, but now that it's time to actually earn their pay it's Okay to puss out??

You're a LEO aren't you???.....That would explain the attitude.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you condone Cops pussing out at riots anytime anywhere??? They signed up for the job, I'm sure they enjoyed the benifits of ACTING the part and being the man with the gun when all was okay, but now that it's time to actually earn their pay it's Okay to puss out??

You need less caffeine in the mornings.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It didn't look like there was a winning situation for the 101st Airborne at Bastogne but they stayed, and they were facing a little stiffer opposition than disorganized criminals with semi-automatic rifles.

Aimless, thats the point, Cops aint the military, and should not be held to the same standards.  They are Civillians entrusted with upholding the law.  The Situation in NOLA is that of armed terrorists engaging US Military targets.  Its no longer a LEO op In my mind.  Its time to send in the troops to take care of that business covered in the "Or Domestic" part of the Oath.  

Well then, if they shouldn't be counted on to come in to work when the going gets tough, they should rip those "To Protect and Serve" decals off their patrol cars and replace them with ones that read "To Cut and Run".
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm not surprised at all. I'm not sure why anyone else would be. The  LEOS's that I know have all told me in a SHTF situation that when it comes down to protecting the public or their families they will choose their families. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
That's because they're from "small" police dept's....totally outnumbered, I don't know if cops would be turning in their badges in larger(better equipped) dept's...NYPD, LAPD, ChicagoPD, etc...

That's because those cities PD's have more manpower than some third world armies.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As has been pointed out, the police are CIVILIANS.............. not the military. It is like any other job, they can quit if they feel like it.

Next, funny when the mindset that members here post over and over again, "mine first" gets applied to cops, it's suddenly unacceptable.

Also, the police in NO have been treated like crap for years................ low pay, training, etc. not to mention how the public treats them. It's clear neither the city of the public gave a flip about them............ Suddenly it's an issue when the police realize how much they have to do, for so little compensation............................ reap meet sow.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Tough call. They did accept the job knowing the risk(although I doubt any of them ever imagined this).

However, most have lost everything, and many have probably lost family members. Their department is in shambles, and every criminal in New Orleans is trying to shoot them. Their city has been destroyed, and in the coming weeks, many may be out of a job anyway. I can't really say I blame them.

There are numerous reports of snipers and firefights in New Orleans. At the most these guys probably expected to be under fire once or twice in a career. They didn't join the Marines.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#50]
This is what happeens when you hire Hood-Rats and gang bangers for police.

They drop and run when trouble comes.

Sorry, but if this happened in in another big city, The same thing would probably happen.

What is really funny is that this is one of the only jobs that will still pay them a salary.

BUT, since they were looting, I bet they have enough shit to fence in their old hoods that they can live for a while.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top