Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 7:46:21 PM EDT
Well, the USMC got their MARPATs, the US Army has their ACUs; even the Navy is testing their own digital uniform...

But what about the USAF???

Well, if you airmen wonder if you will get a digital uniform? The answer is YES...

CLick image for Hi-Res image.

The new Airman Battle Uniform is ready for production and will be available in fiscal 2007. The new uniform design is a pixilated tiger stripe with four soft earth tones consisting of tan, gray, green and blue. The ABU will have a permanent crease and will be offered in 50-50 nylon-cotton blend permanent press fabric eliminating the need for winter and summer weight uniforms. The current projected mandatory wear date for the new ABU is fiscal 2011. The only thing that needs to be determined is if patches will be worn and the Air Force chief of staff will make that determination soon.

I was over at Mc Dill AFB last week to check the availability of the Army ACUs (I'm in the US Army Reserves) and I saw the final design of the fabric; Digital Tiger Stripes? Hmmm, never thought about that one.
The new uniform is reminiscent of the Old Tiger Stripe uniforms worn by USAF Para Rescue guys and the US Navy SEALs back in Vietnam.

Well, one thing's for certain, it looks far better than the first prototypes:

Blue Tiger Stripes??? You have got to be kidding me!
(Couldn't wear those with a straight face )
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Seen them in person, waste of $ IMOP and they will be impossible to keep clean looking if your AFSC involves anything more than paper shuffling ....

They are an improvement over the gay blue ones though.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
True; well, at least all the service now have new uniforms. I guess the AF didn't want to be left out of the "Digital Uniform" craze.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Seen them in person, waste of $ IMOP and they will be impossible to keep clean looking if your AFSC involves anything more than paper shuffling ....

They are an improvement over the gay blue ones though.....

+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's what coveralls are for.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Wouldnt it make more sense for all of the services to adopt a single uniform?   Especially when you have multiple services working together on an operation.   Hey, lets snipe the tacp so they cant call in an airstrike.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wouldnt it make more sense for all of the services to adopt a single uniform?   Especially when you have multiple services working together on an operation.   Hey, lets snipe the tacp so they cant call in an airstrike.  

BINGO! We have a winner. I agree 100% on this. All US forces should share a common battle dress uniform. If you want to look unique, wear your service/ dress uniform. DOD needs to put their foot down on this issue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what coveralls are for.

Rob

And who but the greasy wrench monkeys get coveralls.

Nothing like having to issue coveralls due to not wanting the new gay azzed cammo get greasy
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yep, but to many officers are trying to justify promotion and giving themselves medals.

Nothing like a bunch of little mcpeak copy cats running around trying to impress everybody and make a name for themselves. Not to mention the powers that be admited they are designed for the desk weenis and not the AF troops who actually deploy & go in harms way.

Glad I retired when I did as those are some gay azzed uniforms and ubber gay boots.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

TACPs are authorized to wear the ACU when deployed with the Army, so they should look the same as a Soldier.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TACPs are authorized to wear the ACU when deployed with the Army, so they should look the same as a Soldier.  

Geeze if they work with the USMC they'd need to keep 4 different uniforms....  

Seriously, I dunno what the hell the .mil folks are thinking.    Anyone can wind up in any terrain they should just standardize the friggen uniforms.   Hell I wonder if all the services will just be combined one day.   Think of the financial savings from cutting duplication.   More warfighting capability and less desk jockies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#11]
McAirforce returns like a zombie from beyond!

At one time under McPeak's reign there were FOUR variations of BDUs that were legal to wear.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately, our military is not run by warriors but by politicians and paper pushers whose only concern is their own precious careers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, our military is not run by warriors but by politicians and paper pushers whose only concern is their own precious careers.

Amen! I prefer to stick with the old fashioned BDUs than to start wearing the ACUs myself; I already heard enough crap about them to NOT want them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]
And no unit patches.  We'd hate to have any esprit-de-corps.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
And no unit patches.  We'd hate to have any esprit-de-corps.

Jury is out to lunch on this matter.  I'd like to see the patches/badges added to the uniform, but hope to never wear another goddamn baseball (unit) cap again in my life!

B_S
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

BIG +1.  Why is the AF run by a bunch of REMFs?  I have never been so happy that I wear a flight suit so that I will have few occasions to wear that ghey ass clown suit.  At least the boots look nice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Not to be a complete dick, but when I saw that picture the first thing that came to mind was a new motto- "We couldn't be gayer if we tried"

Seriously though; I agree that the military should just have one uniform....MULTICAM FOR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#18]

The Military branches have gone bonkers w/ these uniforms.

Every U.S. military person should have pretty much the same battle uniform.  They are just asking for friendly fire in those things...

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
McPeak sucked ass.  I had the pleasure of being around during those days.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Military branches have gone bonkers w/ these uniforms.

Every U.S. military person should have pretty much the same battle uniform.  They are just asking for friendly fire in those things...

Not to mention complicating the hell out of the procurement/supply chains, and adding significant cost to us since we don't have the economy of scale.  MARPAT is fine for the USMC and NAVY, and the ACU would meet AF needs just fine as is.  Good thing the service cheif's (who will NEVER wear this stuff) will have a "unique" uniform as part of their legacy.  

On a side note, McPeak can lick my sweaty nutsack, that asshole basically ruined my beloved AF, and we are still feeling the effects.  I came in right at the beginning of his reign of terror, so I got to go through every uniform configuration.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

On a side note, McPeak can lick my sweaty nutsack, that asshole basically ruined my beloved AF, and we are still feeling the effects.  I came in right at the beginning of his reign of terror, so I got to go through every uniform configuration.  

There you go talking good about the bastard
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#22]
All this new stuff looks a hell of a lot better that the solid green shit I had to wear in the AF in '83.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#23]
They should be the color of concrete, that way they'll blend in with the runway.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#24]
That's what I've always thought.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#25]
ghey as phuck
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They should be the color of concrete, that way they'll blend in with the runway.

Hmmm, I got a name for it.

Let's call it "Tarmac Grey"
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#27]
The top pic is the new uniform.  The lower pic is the uniform that was tested and rejected becuase to many Marines were hurting them selves laughing.

And I agree with the above posts that the services should have a common battle uniform.  The logistics during war should not have to support a different field uniform for every service.  And the next fight will be in the artic anyway and we will end up with digital whites...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:17:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
True; well, at least all the service now have new uniforms. I guess the AF didn't want to be left out of the "Digital Uniform" craze.

Yeah...

But they missed the message from the Army & USMC -> creases in modern uniforms = BAD...

In the current world where both the USMC & Army issue wash & wear uniforms, pressed/creased = desk weenie (luoks like they're still keepin Kiwi in business with the black boots, too)...  

It was dumb when we did it, and it's dumb still...

IMHO, the AF should wear OD green 'utility' uniforms, except their combat-deployed folks who should wear flight suits (pilots/crew) or ACUs as appropriate...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:20:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah...

But they missed the message from the Army & USMC -> creases in modern uniforms = BAD...

I guess we will have one service of cardboard cutouts left (well, the Navy has their Cracker Jacks)....

The Marines have creases in their new uniforms, do the ACUs not have them?  I wish we would just adopt the ACU as it is, seems like a decent enough uniform, and the AF and Army have always shared more bases, PX/BX AAFES and stuff than we do with the Navy/USMC.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top