Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 2:57:18 PM EDT
GEEEZSUS!!
You can own machine guns in Oregon and the local police are whining about Taser guns....
Morroons indeed!

September 16, 2004
New Taser on the market worries police

PORTLAND, ORE. - Private citizens can now own a Taser that packs as much punch as the ones that police officers carry, a move that has many in law enforcement more than a little worried.

Anyone with $1,000 to spend can now own the latest and most powerful Taser, one that is slightly bigger than a cell phone and packs a 50,000 volt punch.

This latest model, the X26c, is being sold online through Taser International and will also be coming to local firearms stores.

The owner of a gun store in Gresham did not want to go on camera, but told KATU News he sees Tasers as appealing to a niche market - people who do not want a gun on their nightstand, but still want peace of mind.

However, those in law enforcement say they worry about citizens having their hands on this new type of weapon.  

"It's untested here in the state of Oregon, so we don't know what's going to happen when a citizen deploys it," Deputy Paul McRedmond with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office told KATU News. "It is not a quick-draw weapon," he warns. "It is a decision-making weapon."

If you are considering purchasing a Taser, McRedmond says there is also another issue to consider - one that could end up getting you killed.

"If you point a Taser at an officer, a law enforcement officer, we may use deadly force upon you."

Because the selling of Tasers to the public is new territory, so far there are no licensing requirements like those required to purchase a gun.

However, Taser International does require that the purchaser be over 18 years old and provide a valid driver's license and address.

http://www.katu.com/team2/story.asp?ID=71118

Video
http://easylink.playstream.com/katu/040916tasers_on_the_market.wvx
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
"If you point a Taser at an officer, a law enforcement officer, we may use deadly force upon you."

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#2]
These are the same cops that supposedly support our RKBA?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
No shit, if you point a bag of Stay-Puftt Marshmellows at the police they may use deadly force.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll stick with my bullet hose.  No lame ass taser here.  You point a taser at me at night and it's the last fucking thing you will ever do...other than being burried.

Tasers are part of the pussification of America.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The one they are selling to the public isn't as strong as the one they sell to LEA's
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, there IS one good point in all that:  anyone who buys a TASER because it's "nonlethal" is going to have to deal with the fact that it MIGHT kill the person you use it on.  Plus, frankly, I wouldn't trust my life to one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]

I wouldn't trust my life to one.

+1

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

But I thought zapping somebody with a Taser was only a baby step above a stern vocal command, below the use of hand-to-hand & well below using a nightstick/PR-24????????  

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others................"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
..."If you point a Taser at an officer, a law enforcement officer, we may use deadly force upon you." ...

Unlike pointing a firearm at an LEO where nothing will happen!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#11]
It is....but its what you do to the officer afterwards that has them worried :-P Same with OC, you point OC at cop, you gonna get zapped one way or another
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
At 1000.00 bucks each I will never own one
150-200 I might.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#13]
$1000 buys a lot of liability insurance.......for the Taser Co.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
or you could just buy a cattle prod.

what if you point a squirt gun at the cops?  you could have high-concentration acid in it...

this is what is discouraging... this or the next generation are going to be the last Americans to be able to buy top of the line weapons.  when rail-guns become efficient enough for practical usage, do you think the gov will allow citizens to own them?  How about plasma guns?  Lasers are already heavily regulated...

Sigh...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Lasers are already heavily regulated...
Sigh...

Not really.  I support large frame ION(Argon and Krypton) LASERS.  And I am surprised by some of the clients I meet.  Rave party drug heads tying into 480 III Phase power.  I typically work for petrochemical labs doing LASER doppler anemomentry. There are plenty of Class IV LASERS on Ebay too.  LASERS NEED to be more closely regulated.  They are not.  Pretty much anyone can buy a class IV LASER.  Now finding a place to plug a big one in can be a challenge. Buck boosting will not work in many cases, so you gotta have 240 3 phase, if your over 4 watts, usually 480 3 phase.

ETA now that DPSS is out any rookie looking to lose an eye can buy high power
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I thought zapping somebody with a Taser was only a baby step above a stern vocal command, below the use of hand-to-hand & well below using a nightstick/PR-24????????  

Do ya mean dat der Rodney King Stick???  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I refuse to carry less lethal, because were I to use a lethal weapon in defense of myself, the plaintiffs attorney is going to make a big deal of my choosing to use lethal force while equipped with less lethal equipment. Of course, I am not an LEO, and I can disengage from an encounter under circumstances where they would need to subdue someone.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lasers are already heavily regulated...
Sigh...

Not really.  I support large frame ION(Argon and Krypton) LASERS.  And I am surprised by some of the clients I meet.  Rave party drug heads tying into 480 III Phase power.  I typically work for petrochemical labs doing LASER doppler anemomentry. There are plenty of Class IV LASERS on Ebay too.  LASERS NEED to be more closely regulated.  They are not.  Pretty much anyone can buy a class IV LASER.  Now finding a place to plug a big one in can be a challenge. Buck boosting will not work in many cases, so you gotta have 240 3 phase, if your over 4 watts, usually 480 3 phase.

ETA now that DPSS is out any rookie looking to lose an eye can buy high power

I want a laser that is able to punch holes in armored limosines, destroy refineries from a 5 mile distance, and shoot down jet-liners.

How much will that cost me?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I want a laser that is able to punch holes in armored limosines, destroy refineries from a 5 mile distance, and shoot down jet-liners.

Actually you could do all those things with a C02 LASER and quality optics for around 40 grand.  Much cheaper to buy a .50  Not to mention power and cooling requirements.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do ya mean dat der Rodney King Stick???  

I've heard it called (by less enlightened types) as a NBGS....n****r, be good! stick which says something about the users of said item.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Because the selling of Tasers to the public is new territory, so far there are no licensing requirements like those required to purchase a gun.

Tasers are new to the market? Really?

Licenses for buying guns? I didn't think Oregon required licenses...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A thousand dollar stun gun?

You mean a thousand dollar single shot stun gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Tasers are new to the market? Really?

Licenses for buying guns? I didn't think Oregon required licenses...

"You must be one of those nutcases who actually reads the laws!" - pre-law punk at my school.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder how many people are aware that Tasers are more (self) regulated and traceable than conventional firearms?

(not that any controls will prevent misuse).

www.taser.com/pages/citizen/faqs.html

"11. HOW WILL THE ADVANCED TASER PREVENT CRIMINAL USE?
 Our mission is to ensure technology can play a positive role in our society. To that end, an Anti-Felon Identification (AFID) system is used so criminal use of the ADVANCED TASER can be traced from evidence dispersed by the device itself to provide the exact identification of the Air Cartridge purchaser. No other self-protection device in the world — guns, chemical and pepper sprays, touch-stun devices or batons — can be traced from evidence at the scene of the crime directly to the registration of the user."

The AFID's are like  taggents loaded into each Taser cartridge and the company has a strict policy regarding sales of the cartidges. Expect a world of shit whether or not you're the primary user or a "straw purchaser". Someones head is going to roll because the Po-Po will know exactly who to go to.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#26]
"It's untested here in the state of Oregon, so we don't know what's going to happen when a citizen deploys it," Deputy Paul McRedmond with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office told KATU News. "It is not a quick-draw weapon," he warns. "It is a decision-making weapon."

If you are considering purchasing a Taser, McRedmond says there is also another issue to consider - one that could end up getting you killed.

And this differs from any other type of weapon, HOW ???

Fucking idiots, sheesh ..........
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No shit, if you point a bag of Stay-Puftt Marshmellows at the police they may use deadly force.

Quoted:

KA3B you called it.  Hilarious.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WERD!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've heard it called (by less enlightened types) as a NBGS....n****r, be good! stick which says something about the users of said item.

Hey Riff... don't get me wrong.  I stand firmly against putting down any particular ethnic group based soley on group characteristics.  Mainly cuz there's no such thing.

However, I'm all for making light of some dumb asshat who:

A) can't follow simple directions
B) after becoming a "victom" in the Civil Court and receiving a large sum of money for his pain and suffering, he continues to be a repeat customer of the LA County court system.

I'll just come out and say it.  For sport more than anything... Rodney King is a piece of shit!  He was a drug abuser, habitually operated motor vehicles while DUI, and couldn't take a hint from God... ie. "Ok son, you were done wrong, here's some money.  No go play nice."
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Can't we all just...get along???
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#32]
What a bunch of media Bull Shit!

typical media hype...  'assault' tasers or something...

1) THEY ARE DIFFERENT  The M18 is the one sold to joe public, the M26 is the one sold to LE but...
2) there are no laws against a citizen owning an M26...  Just Taser International's company policy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually you could do all those things with a C02 LASER and quality optics for around 40 grand.  Much cheaper to buy a .50  Not to mention power and cooling requirements.

perhapse this might fit the bill

This Coherent Everlase Model 150 is a Class IV carbon dioxide laser with a practical limit of 300W max., CW .3 Joules max., and a 100 micro second pulse. It is designed for various uses including: research, drilling, cutting, welding, and micromachining. This Everlase was also manufactured in 1977 and comes with a large steel stand. Overall dimensions are about L: 140 in., X W: 32 in., X T: 67 in. This unit is in good cosmetic condition though there is a large dent on the laser's front panel, it looks only like superficial damage because the tube and everything else internal appears unharmed. Functional condition is unknown.

and its a steal at only US $9,990.00

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#34]

This sticks in my craw.

We've been told many times that tasers come in above verbal but below physical restraint in terms of use of force.  So if a cop tasers me if I don't comply with a verbal order it's OK but if somehow a cop ends up on the business end of a less-than-leathal weapon he's got a State sanctioned "go" to kill the perp?

While I don't have a problem with cops defending themeselves from BG's I don't like the disparity in what THEY can do vs. what a "regular citizen" can do.  You know damn well if someone points a Taser at me and I respond to it with deadly force that I'm most likely going to be spending a LOT of time in court (if not worse) while the cop in the same situation will most likely get a pass after the paperwork is done.

No sir, I don't like it.  Just another brick in the wall of "us vs. them".
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

216.55.145.74/images/pictures/16769a.jpg
This Coherent Everlase Model 150 is a Class IV carbon dioxide laser with a practical limit of 300W max., CW .3 Joules max., and a 100 micro second pulse. It is designed for various uses including: research, drilling, cutting, welding, and micromachining. This Everlase was also manufactured in 1977 and comes with a large steel stand. Overall dimensions are about L: 140 in., X W: 32 in., X T: 67 in. This unit is in good cosmetic condition though there is a large dent on the laser's front panel, it looks only like superficial damage because the tube and everything else internal appears unharmed. Functional condition is unknown.

it's probably gonna have to be a CW and not pulsed to achieve the results desired.  Granted 300 watts of C02 is a ton of power 100 microseconds is a very, very, very, very, very, very short period of time!
You could cut a diamond on the moon with this one...

But it's gonna set you back a lot more than 10 grand.  And takes more electricity than a small to medium city.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

216.55.145.74/images/pictures/16769a.jpg

it's probably gonna have to be a CW and not pulsed to achieve the results desired.  Granted 300 watts of C02 is a ton of power 100 microseconds is a very, very, very, very, very, very short period of time!
You could cut a diamond on the moon with this one...
www.bnl.gov/atf/systems/lasers/co2/tw/TWLOpen.jpg

But it's gonna set you back a lot more than 10 grand.  And takes more electricity than a small to medium city.

hmm i think i have some left over Pu 239 ya think i could get that on trade?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This sticks in my craw.

We've been told many times that tasers come in above verbal but below physical restraint in terms of use of force.  So if a cop tasers me if I don't comply with a verbal order it's OK but if somehow a cop ends up on the business end of a less-than-leathal weapon he's got a State sanctioned "go" to kill the perp?

While I don't have a problem with cops defending themeselves from BG's I don't like the disparity in what THEY can do vs. what a "regular citizen" can do.  You know damn well if someone points a Taser at me and I respond to it with deadly force that I'm most likely going to be spending a LOT of time in court (if not worse) while the cop in the same situation will most likely get a pass after the paperwork is done.

No sir, I don't like it.  Just another brick in the wall of "us vs. them".

I think the LE defense would be that they know that if they are struck with a taser, they are imobilized...  thus no longer in control of thier gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top