BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2002 12:48:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
All your base are belong to U.S.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
[:(!] Why spy when you can have the media do it for you!

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]
These guys:

[url]http://www.digitalglobe.com[/url]

A.K.A. Earthwatch, Inc. based out of [b]Boulder, Colorado![/b]

Do you Colorado folks want to handle this?  If you need any help, we'll be right over.  [;D]

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
These guys:

Do you Colorado folks want to handle this?  If you need any help, we'll be right over.  [;D]

View Quote

There are some amazing pics on that site.

[img]http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/denver_col071702.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/san_francisco_IOD032102.jpg[/img]

Maybe an ASAT program to take out stuff like this is not a bad idea at all.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Saddam could hit this place with his few remaining SCUDs & misc. other missiles, or finance a terrorist attack on it.  One page I was looking at from DigitalGlobe had the latitude and longitude of various structures at that base down to the seconds, but I doubt any Iraqi weapon would need that kind of precision.

-----

Twats in the media think that they are outside conflict; they look at wars like scientists look at mold in a petrie dish.  They have just given vital strategic information to the enemy, and think that they have gotten a scoop.

These are the same idiots that were [url=http://www.onlineathens.com/images/120201/afghan_pastlessons.jpg][b]waiting on the frigging beach[/b] [/url]when the Marines landed in Somalia.  Media personelle wanted to ride on MBTs attacking Iraq during the ground war in Iraq.  They somehow think that they are safe, immune, that their little Level IIa vest with "Press" written on it will protect them from all harm.

The level of idiocy and irresponsibility that these people exhibit boggles my mind and defies any attempt I make to transcibe it into the written word.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Twats in the media think that they are outside conflict; they look at wars like scientists look at mold in a petrie dish.  They have just given vital strategic information to the enemy, and think that they have gotten a scoop.

These are the same idiots that were [b]waiting on the frigging beach[/b] when the Marines landed in Somalia.  Media personelle wanted to ride on MBTs attacking Iraq during the ground war in Iraq.  They somehow think that they are safe, immune, that their little Level IIa vest with "Press" written on it will protect them from all harm.

View Quote

That's why in my view we should let journalists run freely around battlefields. Let them ride on M1A2s, just say that the inside of the tank is full, sorry.

These guys today have forgotten how many reporters bought it in Vietnam and other conflicts.

Let 'em ride along today with no special protections. When they and their comrades start getting hit and coming home in boxes, they'll discover what's up. And they'll probably discover that our enemies don't care about that little press mark. You learn by doing, you know.

"Under the Geneva Convention I'm a civilian noncombatant." - Joe Galloway, UPI
"No such thing in these mountains, boy. Take the rifle" -  Major Charles Beckwith.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:49:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if it ever occurred to these @$$c10wn$ that they might be doing a bit more good for the world by looking for terrorist camps than US bases...
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:13:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I am actually surprised that it took the media this long to find out about our base in Qatar. It has been there for some time. The country of Qatar is a capitalistic type and is very modern in their religious beliefs. I have friends that were part of the stand up operation and have seen some interesting pics! [:D]

C4
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey!  I can see my house from here!

Really, do you think there's ANYBODY in the region who doesn't know where and what the air base is?  It's not exactly easy to hide something that's, uh, well, um, HUGE!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#10]
This looks like all the "leaks" we've seen lately.  It's kind of like having old Colt Single Action Army behind your back when a shithead knocks on the door.  He can't see exactly what it is but he damn sure recognizes that CLICK-CLICK-CLICK.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Saddam could hit this place with his few remaining SCUDs & misc. other missiles, or finance a terrorist attack on it.  One page I was looking at from DigitalGlobe had the latitude and longitude of various structures at that base down to the seconds, but I doubt any Iraqi weapon would need that kind of precision.

-----

These are the same idiots that were [url=http://www.onlineathens.com/images/120201/afghan_pastlessons.jpg][b]waiting on the frigging beach[/b] [/url]when the Marines landed in Somalia.  Media personelle wanted to ride on MBTs attacking Iraq during the ground war in Iraq.  They somehow think that they are safe, immune, that their little Level IIa vest with "Press" written on it will protect them from all harm.

The level of idiocy and irresponsibility that these people exhibit boggles my mind and defies any attempt I make to transcibe it into the written word.
View Quote

when their stupidity gets them killed they are hailed as heroes by the other media idiots.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These guys:

View Quote

And look who's using the pics...
[url]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/index.html[/url]
Go to airbases atnd look at the various bases around the world.  Just what the terrorist ordered...
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I've heard about this place for a while in the media, as an alternative to the spineless saudis and the base we keep there.

I think its existence is kinda funny.People think they can jerk us around,but the US doesn't fuck around.We always have a plan b,c and d.[:)]

And I also agree that there is no honor or self control in the media anymore.Even at the price of American(or other)lives,or even national security.They just don't give a damn bout anything.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Just because one has not heard of something does not make it a secret.  The establishment of this base in Qatar has been public knowledge for some time now. You can even go to af.mil and see pictures of the construction and other goings on.  The base is also out of Scud range..so no harm done there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I flew in and out of Qatar 10 years ago.  Yes there is an expansion of the facilities going on, but it is hardly secret.  It has been in the news a lot since Sept 11th.  It's not like somebody couldn't look at Prince Sultan AB in Saudi and not notice that there are a lot less planes than normal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I know many of you national security zealots will not agree, but having this information publicly available is not that bad at all.  What is bad is having a government that seeks to clamp down on the free flow of information--any government that does so is dangerous to its own people.  Ours happens to fall into that category.  I simply can't understand the reasoning behind those who feel that they somehow have a right to information while denying it to others.  Information is power, and corruption of power is what breeds trouble.  

Websites like globalsecurity.org are not a threat--if someone wants to target any one of those installations, it is a small matter to send someone out to get the very same maps or other information provided on the websites.  Ground-based intelligence is always preferable anyways.  Those maps don't show what buildings are under construction, what the guard gates look like and how they are manned, etc. etc.  The aerial photos are similarly old and of little use.

As far the recent "leaks" go, my take is that the information is disseminated on purpose for disinformation purposes.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree w/trickshot.  [shock]

I don't think this changes our safety. If we really wanted to make a secret base I think it would be a little more covert than this.  The base is not highly hidden from arial views from the looks of it.  

Also if the government thought this was a threat don't you think they would get the JBTs to go into a US company and foul it up a bit?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]
There's been a number of leaks behind closed doors at my house lately.  I think I've been ingesting too many fluids. [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top