Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 8:59:56 PM EDT
Another SJW type article. A lot of socioeconomic factors like education level, family structure,  are left out of the article.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/28/news/new-orleans-recovery-blacks/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Katrina10.org, a web site created by the city of New Orleans to commemorate its revitalization 10 years after Hurricane Katrina, ticks off a number of successes: major rebuilding projects, criminal justice and education reforms and the rebirth of neighborhoods.

But for some black residents of New Orleans, the fruits of the recovery have been far more elusive.

"It's very easy to get caught up in the shiny new buildings, the renovated airport," said Erika McConduit-Diggs the president and chief executive of the Urban League of Greater New Orleans. "But when you really start peeling back the layers and digging deeper into who specifically has benefited from the recovery, you see a lot of inequities."

According to a report released this week by the Urban League, whites in New Orleans are benefiting the most from the economic recovery. Not only are they earning far more income, but they are also more likely to be employed and work in better paying jobs than black residents.

Related: A fennel buld grows in the 9th Ward

Availability of affordable housing is another big area for concern. After the storm, the city razed some of its largest public housing developments. It was a decision that was welcomed by some as an opportunity to dismantle the economic segregation that was created by clusters of low-income units. But it was hotly contested by others who feared a loss of affordable housing stock.

The city has since built new housing, but some of these newer developments have fewer units than the ones they were meant to replace.

"We haven't built back a one-to-one ratio of affordable housing units," said McConduit-Diggs. "That creates a significant challenge for people who want to return."

KatrinaTruth, a
web site created by a consortium of racial justice groups, reports that
there are now only some 2,000 public housing units available in the
city today compared with 12,270 before the storm. It also notes that 99%
of the 4,440 families that are on waiting lists for public housing are
African-American. ...

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
So things are pretty much like before Katrina.  Guess Uncle Sugar should have made things better for them.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
For fucks sake, they have had 10 years to get their shit together.  I go there at least twice a year and nothing has changed since 2005 except hotel and drink prices.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's Kanye when you need him?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Just give them each $50,000 cash and an iPhone 6 in gold.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Professional victims.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#6]
But it's their own "chocolate city". How can they get left behind.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
It's past time for blacks to take responsibility for themselves and stop being little whiney, useless titty babies.

The .gov aren't your parents.  Taxpayers aren't your parents.

Get your shit together.  

There is a reason no one likes you and it isn't because of racism.  It's because you fucking suck at life and make it the fault of everyone else.

Sack it up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The Vietnamese there didn`t have a problem. Things that make ya go hhhmmm
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
It was 10 years ago.

If you haven't recovered by now, fuck off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Problem solved.
View Quote

For a month...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I heard a statistic the other day about the percentage of African American males in Nola that don't currently have jobs since Katrina. They were saying the number was around 65% unemployment. They were saying what a travesty it was.

What they didn't say was what the unemployment rate was before Katrina. Hint....it was higher.

Selective truth is really a lie.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The only way to fix NOLA without getting accused of being rassis is to replace all the homies and welfare queens with folks from the Caribbean.  See what happens then.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's past time for blacks to take responsibility for themselves and stop being little whiney, useless titty babies.

Get your shit together.  

There is a reason no one likes you and it isn't because of racism.  It's because you fucking suck at life and make it the fault of everyone else.

Sack it up.
View Quote
Cops are a protected class but overt racism is still embraced by the ARF.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Just give them all a million dollars and be done with it. Thatll buy a few months peace. Maybe.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#15]
They don't care about rebuilding, until someone else is footing the bill. Or just kept as is for a reason to feel sorry for them and their blight. Poor us, feed us clothe us, give us a home...

But we are going to hate you, curse you, attack you, while you are helping us out, yet, again...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only way to fix NOLA without getting accused of being rassis is to replace all the homies and welfare queens with folks from the Caribbean.  See what happens then.
View Quote

Florida will gladly donate the Haitian population to NOLA.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get your shit together.  

Sack it up.

Overt racism my ass.

You sound like you're part of the problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Get your shit together.  

Sack it up.
View Quote

Yeahhh id say you're going to get a small vacation, minimum.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get your shit together.  

Sack it up.

For what?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get your shit together.  

Sack it up.

Was that racist?  Christ almighty.

There are a ton of white people that suck at life too.

There we go.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
education and work ethic are what's doing that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#22]
If you don't work, you don't eat.

Seems simple enough.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Overt racism my ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get your shit together.  

Sack it up.

Overt racism my ass.

Well I am blackish. (mongolia river baldwin county creole). So I guess in your eyes I am.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Double-tap. Cant we all just get along?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Kinda hard to recover if nobody is contributing to any sort of recovery.

FSA FTW.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Problem solved.
View Quote

This crowd would all go out and buy a new SUV and continue to live out of FEMA trailers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't afford a certain neighborhood. :(

Boo mother fucking hoo...

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol.  Don't care.  We were fortunate and had very minor wind damage from Katrina.  In fact, we were both able to move to offices in Baton Rouge and enrolled our kids in school until we returned home a couple months later, when our offices and school here reopened.  We were lucky as my family is in Baton Rouge, so we had a place to stay.  It was depressing as hell to come back here on the weekends as my husband and kids were able to come home about a month before me, so I would go home on the weekends.  The destruction, stores open intermittently, people lined up for ice and MREs.  The losses.  Their was just an air of sadness.  Thankfully, my church had no damage and we who were able could worship together on Sundays.  

A chaplain I know who is a member of my church, but was a Chaplain at Charity Hospital was there at work when the waters started to rise.  He was there for several days with no power and flooded waters.  Charity no longer exists and many of them have lost their jobs and their work "family."

Others I know?  Not so lucky.  2 of my bosses lost their homes and their memories / photos.  Lost it all.  One in Lakeview and another in NO East.  Others had severe damage and had to use Road Home loans.   But these people have moved on.  Bought new homes, the others have repaired.

No sympathy for those who continue to sit and whine and wait for "free" stuff.  Don't want you back.

I don't blame those who stayed behind although it was embarrassing watching the Dome on TV.  Those that live on the Gulf Coast know that we usually evacuate and nothing happens.  So you stay home and hold down the fort.  Katrina didn't do this to NOLA.  The broken levies did it.  Tired of hearing about it.  Mississippi people got it bad.  They aren't whining and waiting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There we go.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get your shit together.  

Sack it up.

There we go.  

now you are offending blacks and whites?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I went to New Orleans for years and years shortly after Katrina hauling the household hazardous waste out after the EPA and the Army Corps of Engineers collected it. Year to year there was almost imperceptible change and improvement and renovation. Years later people the still had blue tarps on their roofs and FEMA trailers in their yards.

My Katrina work started shortly after the hurricane and did not conclude for six or seven years. It seems I could almost count on one hand the times I saw someone lifting a finger to do anything to improve their situation in New Orleans.

Contrast this with Houston and Galveston after our hurricane. I lived just north of downtown at the time.  I rode out the hurricane on Heights Boulevard in my in my apartment.  While the eye of the hurricane was passing over I, along with most of the other people in my neighborhood, started cleaning up while there was some calm.

In the morning after the hurricane I cleaned up my property in the first few hours and I and my neighbors cleaned up our street that day. Citizens brought out chainsaws, shovels, brooms, etc. and the fallen trees were cut up and neatly stacked the debris was swept and piled and everything else that needed to be done that day was done.  Except for the power outages and the repairs that required professional help we took care of our own.

I was back at work the next day headed to Galveston to pick up a load of salvage drums with mercaptan from the local utility that had a spill. I could not spit out the window of my big truck while heading through Galveston without hitting someone with a broom, a shovel, a chainsaw, a wheelbarrow or something else to clean up with. The people of Houston and Galveston got off their asses and took care of their problems.

I was in New Orleans on a weekly basis for years and I cannot say that I saw anything of the sort going on there.

-p.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#31]

I should have known better than to wade into any racial argument here.  Mea culpa.

If I ruffled any feathers I apologize.  If you want my account, you can have it.

I'm tired of reading about all of these poor ethnic groups.  Everyone is responsible for themselves.  No one is entitled to anything but what the constitution and the bill of rights have to say.

This is all nonsense.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get your shit together.  

Sack it up.

There we go.  

And magnolia river creoles

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well I am blackish. (mongolia river baldwin county creole). So I guess in your eyes I am.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get your shit together.  

Sack it up.

Overt racism my ass.

Are you a useless, whiney, titty baby?  Then you aren't in my eyes.

Next time I'll qualify with SOME.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I should have known better than to wade into any racial argument here.  Mea culpa.

If I ruffled any feathers I apologize.  If you want my account, you can have it.

I'm tired of reading about all of these poor ethnic groups.  Everyone is responsible for themselves.  No one is entitled to anything but what the constitution and the bill of rights have to say.

This is all nonsense.
View Quote
Peace. As a brownie I struggle with the constitution hit. Hard to revere a doc that didn't apply to your people.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get your shit together.  
Sack it up.

Overt racism my ass.

I do have moobs . . .

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#36]
They left.  And never came back.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get your shit together.  

Sack it up.

The truth is racist.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Peace. As a brownie I struggle with the constitution hit. Hard to revere a doc that didn't apply to your people.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is all nonsense.

You serious?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is all nonsense.

Yeah, I don't buy that argument.  The constitution applies to everyone.  If it doesn't it should.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You serious?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is all nonsense.

You serious?

Yes. I'm no historian but that doc protected select people only.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#41]
COC#1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top