Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 8:50:44 AM EDT
(CNSNews.com) - More than seven months after New Orleans residents were forcibly and illegally disarmed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the City of New Orleans will begin returning seized firearms to their rightful owners on Monday, according to a gun rights group that took legal action against the city.

"We've learned from the police that starting Monday at 8 a.m., New Orleans gun owners can get their firearms back," said Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), which has been working with the National Rifle Association (NRA) in court to force officials to return guns confiscated after Katrina struck the city on Aug. 29, 2005.

Gun owners must provide proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale, and a description of the firearm, including brand and model and the serial number or a notarized affidavit that describes the firearm.

Citizens claiming their firearms will also need proper identification, such as a driver's license. Before firearms are returned, New Orleans police will conduct a background check on the gun owner.

"Hopefully, this marks the beginning of the end to a legal battle that we've been waging since last fall," said Gottlieb, who noted that the city's action "should send a clear signal that no mayor or police chief can suspend the Constitution on a whim or seize private property, including firearms, from private citizens without due process."

As Cybercast News Service previously reported, few people objected when police last fall began gathering firearms they found in abandoned New Orleans homes to prevent them from falling into the hands of criminals.

However, the SAF and the NRA sought a temporary restraining order (TRO) to stop authorities in and around the city from seizing firearms from private citizens. The SAF said arbitrary gun seizures, without warrants or probable cause, had been reported. In some cases, police refused to give citizens receipts for their seized firearms, according to the SAF.

A federal judge quickly issued the TRO, but New Orleans officials denied that any guns had been seized and ignored the court order.

The impasse between the city and the pro-gun groups continued until March 1, when the SAF and NRA went back to court.

"The city had been denying for more than five months that these guns were in possession," Gottleib said. "Only when the SAF and the NRA filed a motion to have Mayor Ray Nagin and Police Superintendent Warren Riley held in contempt of court did city officials miraculously discover that more than a thousand seized firearms were being stored.

"Natural disasters may destroy great cities, but they do not destroy civil rights," he added. "Law-abiding citizens who are victims of nature must never again be victimized by governments that strip them of their only means of self-defense."

-------

I just hope they don't return them with the barrels welded shut.

And I guess those that didn't get a receipt from the cops are SOL if they don't have proof that they own the gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

"The city had been denying for more than five months that these guns were in possession," Gottleib said. "Only when the SAF and the NRA filed a motion to have Mayor Ray Nagin and Police Superintendent Warren Riley held in contempt of court did city officials miraculously discover that more than a thousand seized firearms were being stored.

-------

I just hope they don't return them with the barrels welded shut.

goodsforguns.org/weld/image/danweld.jpg

And I guess those that didn't get a receipt from the cops are SOL if they don't have proof that they own the gun.

those crooked sons of bitches were probably going to wait til all the hoopla died down and then sell them on gunbroker. Nagin=Slime.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd like my unfired Bren 10 back please, and a healthy dose of 1911. I'll send in my affidavit for it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no problem surrendering my firearms during a bona fide emergency.

I would insist on unloading them first. Safety above all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Before firearms are returned, New Orleans police will conduct a background check on the gun owner.

By what authority?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Before firearms are returned, New Orleans police will conduct a background check on the gun owner.

By what authority?

considering NOPD was doing things illegally (and not the citizens), i have to wonder the same...

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#6]
"Gun owners must provide proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale, and a description of the firearm, including brand and model and the serial number or a notarized affidavit that describes the firearm."

I'm sure every evacuee made sure to grab the the reciept before flooding started.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I've heard this before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top