Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2002 12:23:59 PM EDT
I picked up yet another FAL at my FFL dealer this morning and he told me the ATF has decided that only U.S. citizens can now purchase firearms?  Anyone else heard this?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I've not heard this at all, but what's wrong with that if it is true. The US Constitution gives rights to US citizens not others.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The President signed an order preventing certain foreign nationals (aliens) from buying firearms. Not all.  Just some.  I think resident aliens with work visas are OK, among others.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If this is true it's the first thing they done that made any frigging sense.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
stator, actually the bill of rights is not just for citizens.  The rights are specifically stated to be god given and no mention of citizenship asserted.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
This was discussed a short time ago [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=92277]here[/url] on AR15.com.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Good
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've not heard this at all, but what's wrong with that if it is true. The US Constitution gives rights to US citizens not others.
View Quote
The US Constitution does not grant rights to anyone, US citizen or not.  It defines the federal government and includes explicit protections of some pre-existing human rights.

RKBA is a pre-existing human right.  If the government does not have legal standing to prevent an alien from entering the country then there is no reason to infringe upon that alien's right to keep and bear arms.  (An alternative way of stating at that, if you so prefer, is the government should only allow in aliens that it believes will not misuse their RKBA while in this country.)
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
A good friend of mine just purchased a Sig last week and she has a green card but she is not yet a citizen,so I doubt there is a new ATF rule.

[i]Come for my guns.............and I'll give ya the bullets first! [50][/i]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I just picked up a gun Tuesday from my FFL. He told me there is something new, that would prohibit gun sales to Aliens if they still mantained a residence in their country of origin. He also said the 4473's are changing on the 8th. There's supposed to be a shortage of the new forms. According to him the ATF is only going to ship 25 to each dealer, until the printing catches up to the demand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just picked up a gun Tuesday from my FFL. He told me there is something new, that would prohibit gun sales to Aliens if they still mantained a residence in their country of origin. He also said the 4473's are changing on the 8th. There's supposed to be a shortage of the new forms. According to him the ATF is only going to ship 25 to each dealer, until the printing catches up to the demand.
View Quote

Forms or packs of forms?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Much of what has been said in this topic is not quite accurate; as flashman points out, it has been discussed in much better detail in another topic:

http://[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=92277[/url]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

1) Actually the US Constitution does not [b][u]give[/u][/b] any rights to anybody, because the rights are pre-existing and inalienable, and were given to you by your Creator; you acquired them by being born.  The Constitution guarantees that the rights will not be taken away by the government.

2) The US Constitution reserves a few rights to citizens only, but generally all other rights, including the right to keep and bear arms, are guaranteed to the [b][u]people[u][/b], which has long been accepted to mean more than just citizens.

Amendment II: A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the [b]people[b] to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Any non-citizen in our country, who is obeying our laws and customs, should be entitled to the protection of the same, including the right to own guns for all lawful purposes, including defense of self and family.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Forms or packs of forms?
View Quote

He didn't specify *packs*, so I took it as individual forms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top