Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 3:04:25 PM EDT
The new 4473 form has a space for a unique id #.  I was told by an FFL that he thought this was for collectors and frequent purchasers of firearms who are non-license holders (non-FFLs) to streamline the NICS process.  That said, I cannot find anything on the ATF website about this or how to obtain such a #.

Anyone know anything about this?

If I got one of these unique identifiers, my understanding is that it would be no better or worse per the tinfoil factor than now - they already have all the info - and that this would just streamline things.  Am I missing some risk assessment here?  

Edit: my reference position was completely wrong.  i guess i'll just have to go to a gun shop and look at the form.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe too small to ID the space, but is it here?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone else may have a more informative answer but here is the short version (that I believe to be essentially correct):

Some people have constant problems with NICS checks because they are similar in name, DOB, etc. to someone who is prohibited.  Or, they had a security check done by an obscure agency and each time they apply to NICS the NICS folks have to chase down someone at that agency to find out what the flag is from, i.e. innocuous security background check or investigation of a terror suspect.

If you want to avoid all of that, you can voluntarily give the FBI (I believe it's the FBI and not BATFE) a TON of information on yourself and they will thoroughly check you out.  If you pass they will issue you a UID (Unique ID #) that you can then give whenever you do a NICS check.  It shortcuts the normal process, all the NICS folks do then is check that your UID is in the system, in your name, and that no new activity has happened since it was issued.  Much quicker, no delayed results, you just have to give up your privacy to get the convenience.

Futuristic
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a space for a Unique Personal Identification Number issued by the FBI for individuals who are frequrently delayed or denied by NICS.  See page 8 of the linked BATF newsletter for an explanation of the UPIN.

February 2005 BATF Newsletter (See page 8)

That Newsletter and a letter explaining the system were sent to all FFL holders.  I don't think a lot of FFL's pay attention to information BATF sends them or they don't care.

Redfisher:  That is not the current 4473.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is your Form 4473.  Click on the picture for larger view:

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!  I am one of those guys who gets delayed until the next day, every single time.  It wouldn't be a problem if my FFL was local, but he's a 45 minute drive away (barring bad traffic).  Maybe the UPIN will be a solution.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I've tried to use mine form 4, suggesting that the same background check is done for CCW  permits and why do I fill out 4473s for a purchase...the dealers (3 different ones) each said, "a form is not a permit"  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've tried to use mine form 4, suggesting that the same background check is done for CCW  permits and why do I fill out 4473s for a purchase...the dealers (3 different ones) each said, "a form is not a permit"  

A 4473 is filled out for all firearms purchases from a dealer, even if an NICS check is not required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top