Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2021 5:00:14 PM EDT
New Jersey govt drains gym’s bank account over Covid-19 rule-breaking, despite ongoing legal appeal

The owners of Atilis Gym in Bellmawr, New Jersey had their bank account unexpectedly drained even while pursuing their legal appeals against a growing stack of fines levied by the state for alleged violation of Covid-19 rules.

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy “took it upon himself to empty our bank account entirely, to the tune of $165,000,” gym owner Ian Smith claimed in a Wednesday Instagram post. The confiscation took place “without warning, and without permission” despite both parties being eight months into a bitter legal battle over state Covid-19 restrictions – including a lawsuit against the governor, he added.

The gym owner accused the governor “and his cronies” of “effectively and intentionally interfering with our right to council [sic]” in a Twitter post, noting that the sum taken represented “100% of [the gym’s] legal defense money.”

In addition to several charges filed against Atilis Gym in July, when its owners were arrested for defying a court order to shut down their business, the gym has been hit with additional fines of $15,497.76 since November for every day it remains open to its members without enforcing a mask mandate.

However, the owners have appealed all financial judgments against their establishment. Smith pointed out that he has challenged not only the daily fines, but some “eighty municipal and criminal charges against us; ongoing litigation in the case of the revocation of our business license without due process; and the unconstitutional health department shut-down that was placed upon us in the first place.”

When Murphy ordered the state’s gyms to close back in March, Smith and his business partner Frank Trumbetti took their case to court, arguing they should be permitted to stay open as long as they maintained strict sanitary and social distancing protocols. The pair sued both Murphy and state health commissioner Judith Persichilli, vowing that “no governor, or no government official, will ever wield [such excessive] powers ever again.”

Continued
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Some pretend we aren't turning into a fascist police state. We aren't there yet, but it's rapidly advancing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick up that can.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the only way he can fight this.

Good Luck !!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I guarantee if he wins in court it won’t be returned nearly as quickly.  If ever.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Does he have a gfm account? We need to support people with the balls to tell the government enough with your bulletin.

We keep saying someone needs to stand up, well someone is, and we should support him.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]
So now he can add unlawful seizer to the list of suits.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn he probly wishes his money was in bitcoin now..
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does he have a gfm account? We need to support people with the balls to tell the government enough with your bulletin.

We keep saying someone needs to stand up, well someone is, and we should support him.
View Quote

They'll just seize that too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
He knew the state was out to get him and he still kept a giant pile of cash in a bank?

That's when you're supposed to stuff it in the Cash Mattress and only deposit what you need to pay bills.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Wasn't Murphy one of the ones caught not following his own protocols?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
That has to be highly illegal. Unless they snuck some property seizure law in because covid or state emergency declaration.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#13]
We are living in a lawless society.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That has to be highly illegal. Unless they snuck some property seizure law in because covid or state emergency declaration.
View Quote

Govt is out of control. And it will get worse.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has (had) one and that’s exactly what they did.  The .gov’s justification for the amount of the daily fines was “they have enough to cover it in their go fund me account.”
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since when did that stop any government?

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Constitutional crisis.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Serious question:

How do law enforcement and State National Guard personnel workout if their State closes all the gyms? They have to buy their own workout equipment or do body weight exercises I guess, but what are the chances that as a consequence of these State wide lockdowns that we'll have less physically fit law enforcement and National Guard personnel? If State National Guard can't use a gym anywhere in their local area isn't that harmful to national defense?

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sieze everything, figure out if you’re actually guilty of anything later.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
An appeal doesn't usually prohibit executing on the judgment or fines unless there's a court order staying enforcement, which usually requires a bond that's basically the cost of the judgment or fines
View Quote

So the game is rigged?

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some pretend we aren't turning into a fascist police state. We aren't there yet, but it's rapidly advancing.
View Quote

New Jersey has been there for decades.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Wait until the FBI orders the seizure of all assets of every person identified as being at the DC rally and protest.

It is coming.

ETA: Am I reading that correctly that he has been fined $15k a day, every day since July? So he technically owes the state of NJ almost $3,000,000 in fines?
I think I would start looking at used heavy equipment and current prices on steel plate.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Zero fucks given if this guy goes full Killdozer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I don’t think I can stay within the CoC and honestly say what I’d do if someone stole my life’s work.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Fucking disgusting
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Meanwhile you can go to any big box store and be surrounded by tons of people.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Beware of the man with nothing left to lose.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
An appeal doesn't usually prohibit executing on the judgment or fines unless there's a court order staying enforcement, which usually requires a bond that's basically the cost of the judgment or fines
View Quote

Can file a Writ of Mandamus, no?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

No we're clearly there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#32]
We should start a gofundme, oh wait, forgot, they are not violent felons, so they will take down the page.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Does he have enough left to rent a bulldozer?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

he does. listed on his instagram page.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wait until the FBI orders the seizure of all assets of every person identified as being at the DC rally and protest.

It is coming.

ETA: Am I reading that correctly that he has been fined $15k a day, every day since July? So he technically owes the state of NJ almost $3,000,000 in the fines?
I think I would start looking at used heavy equipment and current prices on steel plate.
View Quote

I’ll loan him my welder. Hell I’ll go to Jersey and help him.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meh. We're already there. 2020 and 2021 have proven it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#39]

exactly, CoC applies
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#40]
How very Soviet minded.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#41]

That guy has nothing to lose, they took it all away. $1M in fines?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#42]
This guy is my hero
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#43]
We got what it takes to take what you got
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I'll feel bad for him and his friends and family anyways.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I wonder when enough people will get pissed enough to set shit right. I studied history, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how our time compares to 1776.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:40:53 AM EDT
[#46]
I get a kick out of all the lawsuit and court comments. Im amused some of you still  have faith in our courts/justice system.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#47]
This is what happens when the right has no balls. The left will do what ever they want to and the right will do nothing but write sternly worded letters.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#49]
NJ is a Biden state.... Odds are that gym owner voted for him. The gyms here are open and thriving.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every dime you give him, it will be taken as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top