Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2002 9:03:56 PM EDT
[b]Nevada Site Picked for Nuclear Waste[/b]

"WASHINGTON -- Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham on Thursday selected Nevada's Yucca Mountain, 90 miles northwest of Las Vegas, as the final resting place for tens of thousands of tons of nuclear waste.

The announcement opens a critical new stage in a 40-year search for a safe storage place for the vast quantities of highly radioactive material now at nuclear power plants and other facilities in 39 states."

[url]http://latimes.com/news/printedition/la-000002772jan11.story[/url]

I'd think the location should be about 90 miles southeast of the proposed site...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope the kids don't start looking funny [:K]

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't they just dump it in the ocean? I mean, that's what the ocean's for, right?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Give the waste to NSFJojo, maybe it will enhance his ninja powers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:36:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[b]Nevada Site Picked for Nuclear Waste[/b]

View Quote

So [b]thats[/b] why Noah lived so long, no radiation waste in his back yard....now I get it.

[}:)]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Yucca mountain, which was supposed to be open for business by know, was picked as the depository for high level nuclear waste many years ago.  Commercial nuclear facilities have been waiting for the government to make good on it's promise to provide long term storage.  Some facilities have exhausted their capacity for storing the highly radioactive spent fuel rods.  The spent fuel rods are normally stored underwater in spent fuel "pools", but the utilities are using or looking at "dry storage" to keep their facilities running.  Believe me when I say that this is not a good option.  The state of Nevada has been fighting the opening of this facility.  IMHO, the loss of high paying jobs @ DOE facilities located in Nevada has put a bad taste in their mouth, and we're involved in another round of the political game "What's in it for ME".  I just hope that the government will get off the stick and take care of this situation before we have a real crisis involving energy and the environment.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's gonna be so close to us Vegas folks they told us we won't need to brush our teeth anymore [:E]
View Quote

Or comb your hair!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, let's see: government contract to the lowest bidder, using the cheapest materials, and cheap labor.  

I'd say them Vegas slots are gonna start glowing in the dark about 6 months after the first delivery.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd think the location should be 90 miles southeast of the proposed site...
View Quote

Go eat sh*t.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd think the location should be 90 miles southeast of the proposed site...
View Quote

Go eat sh*t.

Tom
View Quote

It's a *joke*, Tom.  It's not like I'm saying that Vegas is a cesspool or anything, that it has no socially redeeming value, or that it's the modern equivalent of Sodom and Gommorah.  This news story did remind me of Stephen King's "The Stand".  Ever read it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a *joke*, Tom.  It's not like I'm saying that Vegas is a cesspool or anything, that it has no socially redeeming value, or that it's the modern equivalent of Sodom and Gommorah.  This news story did remind me of Stephen King's "The Stand".  Ever read it?
View Quote

heh, I was thinking of The Stand when I read the article.  Thing I dont like is they are using the 10 freeway on some of the routes and there is always accidents and congestion on the 10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top