Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 4:51:13 PM EDT
ok here's the scoop, I have a new computer system with two harddrives, 3.2ghz amd processor, 2 gigs of ram k8n neo64 mobo, and nvidia graphics card 6800 pci express.

I can:

receive chat requests on irc
dcc chat I can do both ways
I can dcc send whatever I want

I CANNOT: dcc receive
and I CANNOT connect to game servers for games like medal of honor and such.

I really have no idea what's up with this and i've run around asking everyone for help, and yes before the smartasses come into play, yes i've googled on it extensively.

I'm at a complete loss as to what's wrong. I even called up my isp(rr.com) and barked at them about it. they have no idea either.

that's the gist of it all. so basically, can anyone help me?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Windows XP firewall? Other firewall?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I am far from a computer  guy but.......................... I would disconnect the virus protection and check that . I have problems connecting with it on.     PG
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]

http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/security/fwfaq.html

13. Q: How does a firewall interfere with DCC?
   A: DCC uses randomly selected ports, typically in the range 1024-65535 (mIRC uses 1024-5000 by default, this can be constrained in DCC options). As it is common security policy to block all "unused" ports, a firewall is often configured to block all traffic outside of common ports, or to block all inbound traffic not intended for authorized services, such as web servers. In the DCC protocol the receiver initiates the connection to the sender, so a common problem is that a firewalled user can receive but not send. In this case the firewall is not restricting the outbound connection, therefore the receiver can connect to the sender to retrieve the file, but when the roles are reversed, with the firewalled user sending, the receiver cannot connect through the firewall to retrieve the file.

Solutions for users who cannot send or receive because of a firewall:

* Disable the firewall. Probably the easiest solution, but also the least desirable, as you lose all security provided by the firewall this way.
       * Configure the firewall to permit outgoing connections on any port, if it fits within your security policy.
       * Configure the firewall to permit incoming connections to a range of ports, and configure clients to use those ports for DCC send, unless the ability to transmit files outside of your network is against your security policy.

Solutions for users who cannot send because of a firewall.

* Configure the firewall to permit incoming connections to a range of ports, and configure clients to use those ports for DCC send, unless the ability to transmit files outside of your network is against your security policy.

14. Q: How does NAT interfere with DCC?
   A: NAT implementations are typically not aware of ports being opened on client systems behind the NAT gateway, and generally have no idea that they need to forward the incoming connections needed for DCC SEND to work. Generally, most NAT implementations will allow receiving files, but won't allow sending them. There are a few ways to work around this:

* Use the DMZ feature in many cable & DSL routers. This feature causes all untracked connections to be redirected to a single internal machine. Be aware that the machine is then effectively exposed to the internet, as if it were directly connected without the router. This method will weaken the security of the machine exposed in this manner, and will only get DCC working properly for that one machine.
       * Forward a range of ports to each machine which needs to be able to send files via DCC, and configure the client to use those ports. This takes a little more work, and is more secure, but only a few transfers can be managed at the same time, and the ports for those transfers become easier to guess, potentially enabling someone to "steal" a DCC send by connecting before the intended receiver does.
       * Use an implementation which tracks IRC connections, and monitors them for the CTCP handshake used to initiate a DCC transfer, automatically forwarding the needed ports.
       * Implement a SOCKS5 proxy server, and DCC via it. Just make sure you configure the proxy to only allow authorized users to connect, misconfigured proxy servers are commonly used to mask the source of malicious activity, by redirecting from one internal host to another internal host. Also, a misconfigured proxy server can be used to gain access through a firewall, potentially subverting that firewall.
       * Implement special client software which interacts with the firewall to request port forwardings for DCC transfers transparently to the user. This would be difficult, but would work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on port forwarding.  irc is one your definatly have to enable that on.       you can find out if thats the problem by turning DMZ on.   you will have to turn in on your local ip address.   example:   192.168.1.100  or 192.168.0.100!!   turn dmz on your local ip address.   connect to irc test, try the game and test.

you might try looking for a updated firmware for your router, check their web page for instructions and the files/ files.  

you might check if you have the latest patches installed for your game.   if its not upto date you won't be able to connect to  and servers.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#5]
ok dont have a router........
firewall is down....

doesn't work. antivirus I have is mcafee and I had this problem even BEFORE mcafee was installed
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
firewall is down....

doesn't work. antivirus I have is mcafee and I had this problem even BEFORE mcafee was installed

We don't know enough techincally about your situation and setup. We are farting in the dark with this one. There are so many things that could be wrong.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
firewall is down....

Did you disconnect /turn off just to make sure?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]
to me it still sounds like a software firewall somewhere.   mcafee has a personal firewall, zonealarm? ANY other software that could be installed.    norton internet security and mcafee and notorious for blocking program from accessing the web.  

edit:   so with your current hook up the cable modem is going DIRECTLY to your network card or usb port...... correct ?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]
yes. this is a SINGLE computer, not part of a network, hooked DIRECTLY to the cablemodem via ethernet. there is no firewall on this system running and I don't believe mcafee is the problem because this was going on BEFORE I installed it. I installed mcafee to monitor the system for trojans and viruses that might be causing the problem.

as for farting in the dark.......

this system has been up and running for about a week straight now.

It is windows xp. The situation is, dcc send and dcc chat works. dcc accept and game servers do NOT work. there is no firewall running to block any of this and the computer has a direct connection to the internet, no router or server. I had this problem with my old system too, so when I got this installed, the first thing I did was check to see if dcc accept worked. it didnt.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
yes. this is a SINGLE computer, not part of a network, hooked DIRECTLY to the cablemodem via ethernet. there is no firewall on this system running and I don't believe mcafee is the problem because this was going on BEFORE I installed it. I installed mcafee to monitor the system for trojans and viruses that might be causing the problem.

as for farting in the dark.......

this system has been up and running for about a week straight now.

It is windows xp. The situation is, dcc send and dcc chat works. dcc accept and game servers do NOT work. there is no firewall running to block any of this and the computer has a direct connection to the internet, no router or server. I had this problem with my old system too, so when I got this installed, the first thing I did was check to see if dcc accept worked. it didnt.

who is your isp? i know mine blocks a few ports

-foxxz
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a similar issue with Battlefield 2. I disabled Windows Firewall, etc. I even put my computer in the DMZ on my router. Turns out, I had PeerGuardian running. Disabled and problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
* Firewall software can definitely do that, but you're saying that's not on there.
* A NAT router can also definitely do it, but again, a non-starter.
* The modem...it's rare, but a few models of modems such as the Westell's from SBC/BellSouth are actually modem/router combo devices...even though they only say "modem" on the outside.  What model modem do you have and who's your ISP? (again...a rare one)
* "Privacy"-type software.  Some ISP's include it with service, and it comes with other software packages.  Many of them have "firewall-like" functions and can cause this type of problem.
* The motherboard - you say you have the K8N Neo64...some of these are nForce3-based chips, while others are nForce4-based chips.  Both of these have nVidia's Active Armor built in.  Both the nForce3 and nForce4 chips have it, but the nForce4 chips have more components of it.  Frankly, I've never had a problem with the nF3 motherboards, but I've come across about 7 (of many hundreds) where I could pin a connection issue like this to the nF4 motherboard.  In two situations, the nF4 motherboards had two built-in network connections.  We just simply switched to the 2nd network plug where the Active Armor wasn't operating and we were off and running.  In the other 5 situations, we went through lots of nForce options, but we finally just simply went out and bought a $3 network card and the problem was solved.  Another rarity..but a possibility that can be tested if you have a spare network card around.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
ok guys, figured out hte problem. dunno why, but for some reason, even with the firewall disabled, as long as the connection is selected to be monitored, it still prevents certain incoming packets. what a bunch of shit. but problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
* Firewall software can definitely do that, but you're saying that's not on there.
* A NAT router can also definitely do it, but again, a non-starter.
* The modem...it's rare, but a few models of modems such as the Westell's from SBC/BellSouth are actually modem/router combo devices...even though they only say "modem" on the outside.  What model modem do you have and who's your ISP? (again...a rare one)
* "Privacy"-type software.  Some ISP's include it with service, and it comes with other software packages.  Many of them have "firewall-like" functions and can cause this type of problem.
* The motherboard - you say you have the K8N Neo64...some of these are nForce3-based chips, while others are nForce4-based chips.  Both of these have nVidia's Active Armor built in.  Both the nForce3 and nForce4 chips have it, but the nForce4 chips have more components of it.  Frankly, I've never had a problem with the nF3 motherboards, but I've come across about 7 (of many hundreds) where I could pin a connection issue like this to the nF4 motherboard.  In two situations, the nF4 motherboards had two built-in network connections.  We just simply switched to the 2nd network plug where the Active Armor wasn't operating and we were off and running.  In the other 5 situations, we went through lots of nForce options, but we finally just simply went out and bought a $3 network card and the problem was solved.  Another rarity..but a possibility that can be tested if you have a spare network card around.

hm I like that idea too just in case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top