Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:22:59 AM EDT

Updated: 10:33 AM EDT
Brokaw, Jennings Show Support for Rather
By DEEPTI HAJELA, AP

NEW YORK (Oct. 2) - While acknowledging mistakes in CBS anchor Dan Rather's "60 Minutes" report that questioned President Bush's service in the National Guard, competing news anchors Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings offered support Saturday for the beleaguered newsman.

Brokaw blasted what he called an attempt to "demonize" CBS and Rather on the Internet, where complaints about the report first surfaced. He said the criticism "goes well beyond any factual information."

"What I think is highly inappropriate is what going on across the Internet, a kind of political jihad ... that is quite outrageous," the NBC anchor said at a panel on which all three men spoke.

Rather declined to comment, saying news executives had asked him not to talk about the report while an investigation was under way.

The Guard story, aired on Sept. 8, was discredited because it relied on documents impugning Bush's service that apparently were fake.

"I don't think you ever judge a man by only one event in his career," said Jennings, anchor on ABC.

The panel, part of The New Yorker Festival, was one of the last times all three anchors were expected to appear together in their current roles. Brokaw is stepping down Dec. 1.

Neither Jennings nor Rather have said when they will leave.

The three broadcasters, who have all anchored their networks for at least two decades, also discussed the run-up to war in Iraq.

Rather said he did not ask enough questions before the war or conduct enough follow-up reporting.

"If the country is in dire peril, as the president of the United States says it is ... I want to be a patriotic journalist," he said.

"You know that the role of the patriotic journalist is to put your fear aside, stand up, look them in the eye, ask the rough questions. But you also know that when you do that, you're going to get hammered..." Rather said. "So what happens is you just say ... maybe tomorrow."

10/02/04 16:31 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

They are going to try and fight the Internet, which is slowly pushing them out of business.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#1]
"One event".   Bwah ha ha ha!

This is just one of many!  The "last straw", if you will.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#2]
This internet thing, I'll never replace REAL news....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#5]
(shit)Birds of a feather
Flock together.........

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of this anchorman non-sense started with Cronkite who still tries his Jimmy Carter act now and again.  They picture themselves are ombudsman to the lowly peeps.          

"Initially,                Cronkite was something of a hawk on the Vietnam War, although his                program did broadcast controversial segments such as Morley Safer's                famous "Zippo lighter" report. However, returning from Vietnam after                the Tet offensive Cronkite addressed his massive audience with a                different perspective. "It seems now more certain than ever," he                said, "that the bloody experience of Vietnam is a stalemate." He                then urged the government to open negotiations with the North Vietnamese.                Many observers, including presidential aide Bill Moyers speculated                that this was a major factor contributing to President Lyndon B.                Johnson's decision to offer to negotiate with the enemy and not                to run for President in l968."
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Those anchors are nothing but a bunch of shitbags!

None of the 3 and I'll include Cronkite to the list ,are fit to carry a bucket of piss of ANYONE serving in the war zone!!!

Self  serving bastards!!!!!

I'm tired of being spoon fed all of their lies.

And so is the rest of America!

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice ,shame on you. What kind of shame should these guys have ? They have none.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top