Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 6:45:59 PM EDT
I've had Netflix for about 6 months now and have really enjoyed it.  (For those that don't know, they mail you up to 3 dvd's at a time and you return them using envelope w/postage prepaid they provide when you're ready).  It's $21.99/mo. flat fee.   Blockbuster just came out with one that is $19.99/mo for same deal, plus two free in store rentals each month.  I like Netflix, but the cheaper cost of the Blockbuster and the fact that I can get a movie on a friday night if company shows up unexpected is an added benefit.  Has anyone tried the Blockbuster deal and if so what was your experience like?  One think I like about Netflic is how fast I get the movies (next day each way) because one of their distribution centers is near me in lansing michigan.  How is Blockbuster's timing?  Do you know where their distribution centers are?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
i use netflix and tried walmart.delevey was about the same 1-2 days.
blockbuster didn't know that they started theirs yet,
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Has Netflix added more distribution points?  I got a free trial in their infancy, took forever for DVD's to get to me.

Shipping to VA from San Jose wasn't the smartest thing anyone has ever done.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if this is an option in your area, but Blockbuster also has a new program that is unlimited rentals for a month $14.99 lst month, and 24.99 each month afterwards. Basically it lets you rent as many movies as you want that month, but the catch is only 2 at a time. But you can keep it 2 days or 20, I've taken movies back 3 times a day sometimes, and they don't care how many you get. It's a pretty sweet deal, without waiting on shipping.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Hate blockbuster, also netflix has 72,000+ movies. Name it they have it.
1 day for me in nevada. 1 day back 1 day here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, they have that $24 in store deal near me, but I find its generally easeier to just do it via internet and mail.  The ability to go to the store when I have to though would be helpful.  Anyone know where they ship from?

BTW, the netflix reall has been good.  Once a movie got lost in the mail someplace and I just filled out a form on the site that said ti got lost in the mail and that was the end of it.  Nice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I take it you have never been screwed over by cockbuster.

Fuck cockbuster, not one more penny from me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never rented from blockbuster because they wanted my social security number to create an account

fug that
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Netflix

I have the 5-out plan for $34.
I have a two-day turn around
from Worcester to Burlington.

Love it. I don't watch TV
anymore.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
block buster is the anti christ.  they've ripped off so many people it's not funny.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've never rented from blockbuster because they wanted my social security number to create an account

fug that

I opened a new account yesterday, and the SS# is optional
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a DVD burner  That is what I got.  So I signed up for Netflix's 6 DVDs out at a time so I would get  at least 12 a week.  And then burn them  I use DVD X Copy and so far I have 389 DVDs and counting  I stopped the service though when the increased their price in June.  So run out and by a DVD burner!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Has Netflix added more distribution points?  I got a free trial in their infancy, took forever for DVD's to get to me.

here is a list i found  for Netflix Distribution Centers
Atlanta, GA
Birmingham, AL
Boston, MA
Chattanooga, TN
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, OH
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Detroit, MI
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Greensboro, NC
Houston, TX
Lakeland, FL
Los Angeles, CA
Minneapolis, MN
New York, NY
Newark, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Phoenix, AZ
Portland, OR
Richmond, VA
Rochester, NY
Saint Louis, MO
San Jose, CA
Seattle, WA
Stamford, CT
Tampa, Fl
Washington, DC

www.portable-dvd-player.ws/Articles/Netflix-Distribution-Centers
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I couldn't say waht the local market is like in your area, but check your yellow pages for some independant video retailers. Prices will likely be better, and you may find some great specials on certain days (make a family movie night tradition). Netflix is the hot new thing (do NOT buy thier stock!), but has it's drawbacks. you wait for your movies, even if it is for a day or 2, and you don't always get your top choice (the movie you ACTUALLY want to see) first. Call your local indie vido rentailer in the AM when they open up and they'll probably hold whatever you want to see till you can drop by after work. Subscriptions, to my mind, are only good for very heavy renters. Bring the stuff back at the time stipulated on the contract you signed, no problem. You get it when you want it.

Yes, I'm an indie video retailer. People who bitch about late fees piss me off. You signed a CONTRACT that you'd bring ouyr stuff back at X time. It's now X time + a week. This is my fault why? Any reasonable store charges only what they couldn't collect renting the stuff you kept to another customer. I'm always blown away at how people say "that's ridiculous!". No, that's the exact same price you'd pay if you came in and rented it every day you kept it. My other favorites are people who are livid that "I could have bought it for that price!" Well, you F'n well should have!!!! This movie is for RENT. We make money by RENTING it, and intend to continue doing so for some time. When you decide not to bring it back, I do not telepathically infer that I should immediately pay to buy a new one and take a loss on your brech of contract. I charge you the same to rent it as I'd be charging to rent it to my other customers had you been so kind as to return it when you said you would.

That said, Blockbuster, I'm told throws all outstanding late fees and any outstanding rentals at full retail replacement cost on your credit card at the end of the month. Video is a business frought with both human and computer error, and I have BIG problems with this practice for this reason. Customers should have the oportunity to come into the store, be informed of charges, compare with their own notes, harass the kids to find the movies/cough up their late fees, etc. Charging them blind is wrong.

And about that social security number... we're giving you a loan. One of my unhappy tasks is sending delinquents to our collections bureau. If I let john doe come in and open an account wthout getting his social, he decides to skip town with 5 brand new playstation 2 games and when I tell the collections folks to hit his credit report that he's into me for $400, and no, I don't have his social, they laugh hysterically at me. Which john doe would you like us to go after for that? "Just pick one" is not generally accepted as a fair business practice. Only rarely can they get a specific human from a license number alone.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
blockbuster an anti-gun company VS anyone who doesn't try and stomp on my rights. Hmm tough call. There could be a video rental store called "holy mother of god that hurts" and everytime you walk in they slam your hand in the door and stomp on your marble bag. I'd still give them my money first. well as soon i as i stopped throwing up that is.

J
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for making my point why I don't rent from Cockbuster or any of the independents.  

Quoted:
I couldn't say waht the local market is like in your area, but check your yellow pages for some independant video retailers. Prices will likely be better, and you may find some great specials on certain days (make a family movie night tradition). Netflix is the hot new thing (do NOT buy thier stock!), but has it's drawbacks. you wait for your movies, even if it is for a day or 2, and you don't always get your top choice (the movie you ACTUALLY want to see) first. Call your local indie vido rentailer in the AM when they open up and they'll probably hold whatever you want to see till you can drop by after work. Subscriptions, to my mind, are only good for very heavy renters. Bring the stuff back at the time stipulated on the contract you signed, no problem. You get it when you want it.

Yes, I'm an indie video retailer. People who bitch about late fees piss me off. You signed a CONTRACT that you'd bring ouyr stuff back at X time. It's now X time + a week. This is my fault why? Any reasonable store charges only what they couldn't collect renting the stuff you kept to another customer. I'm always blown away at how people say "that's ridiculous!". No, that's the exact same price you'd pay if you came in and rented it every day you kept it. My other favorites are people who are livid that "I could have bought it for that price!" Well, you F'n well should have!!!! This movie is for RENT. We make money by RENTING it, and intend to continue doing so for some time. When you decide not to bring it back, I do not telepathically infer that I should immediately pay to buy a new one and take a loss on your brech of contract. I charge you the same to rent it as I'd be charging to rent it to my other customers had you been so kind as to return it when you said you would.

That said, Blockbuster, I'm told throws all outstanding late fees and any outstanding rentals at full retail replacement cost on your credit card at the end of the month. Video is a business frought with both human and computer error, and I have BIG problems with this practice for this reason. Customers should have the oportunity to come into the store, be informed of charges, compare with their own notes, harass the kids to find the movies/cough up their late fees, etc. Charging them blind is wrong.

And about that social security number... we're giving you a loan. One of my unhappy tasks is sending delinquents to our collections bureau. If I let john doe come in and open an account wthout getting his social, he decides to skip town with 5 brand new playstation 2 games and when I tell the collections folks to hit his credit report that he's into me for $400, and no, I don't have his social, they laugh hysterically at me. Which john doe would you like us to go after for that? "Just pick one" is not generally accepted as a fair business practice. Only rarely can they get a specific human from a license number alone.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Netflix is (practically) next day in Northern VA, FWIW.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I subscribed for a 1 month trial of both blockbusted and netflix.
They both have distribution points in Seattle, but netflix was consistantly faster turnaround and shipping new movies out.  On the three at a time plan, I got 27 from netflix, but only 21 from blockbuster.

Oh yeah, I have a DVD Burner
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't tell your liberal friends but I heard the guy who owns NetFlix is conservative and pro-gun.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I just used it to watch the movies I haven't had time to watch yet. Now I can watch them at my leisure. Besides, they aren't perfect copies, if I really like a movie, I buy it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven't used Blockbuster in close to 10 years. The owner gives money to HCI, and was a vocal suporter of the Brady Bill.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Neither for me. I work in a video store.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Neither for me. I work in an adult video store.

There, I fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Neither for me. I work in an adult video store.

There, I fixed it for you.

It's a regular video store with an adult section in the back. Not the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

How about MD?

I get mine in 2 days MAX!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been w/ Netflix for about 2 years now and LOVE it.  Their service is excellent, shipping times is approx. 1 day, and you can't beat the movie selection.  There is a distibution center about 15 miles from my house (makes it nice!).

Would highly recommend to anyone considering Netflix.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top