Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 10:49:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
No they did it in response to rumors that  Amazon.com was going to start one up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#3]
If you use Netflix then you need to check this web site out.
hackingnetflix.com/

New Blockbuster Subscription Pricing
Blockbuster sent me an e-mail with their new prices today. Here's how they compare:

Blockbuster 3-at-a-time unlimited $17.49 ($17.99 Netflix)
Blockbuster 5-at-a-time unlimited $27.49 ($29.99 Netflix)
Blockbuster 8-at-a-time unlimited $37.49 ($47.99 Netflix)

Netflix offers one additional plan that Blockbuster does not offer: 2-at-a-time, 4 rentals per month for $11.99 per month.

I still believe Netflix is the right choice since they have a better recommendation and ratings system, three times as many distribution centers, and more movies available for rental at this time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#4]
It was not only in respose to Amazon, it is also a response to Blockbusters pricing and Walmarts on-line rental service.

A Netflix Odyssey Thinks a Price War with Walmart is Suicide
A Netflix Odyssey (a great Netflix blog) thinks that Netflix is making a mistake by entering a price war with Walmart:

I'm afraid that's what will happen to Netflix here... they just priced themselves below the most famous and powerful discounter in the world. Wal-Mart is in the business of low prices... not high quality and exceptional service. Netflix had recently raised their prices by 10% to maintain and improve quality of service. Now just months later, they're reversing the decision and dropping 10% below the pre-price hike rates.

He makes a good point, but Netflix has to worry about Blockbuster and maybe even Amazon, too. The story of Netflix and how they competed with 3 huge companies at the same time will will be something discussed in MBA classes for years.

Again, if you use Netflix then you need to check out this site:
hackingnetflix.com/

Quoted:
No they did it in response to rumors that  Amazon.com was going to start one up.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Blockbuster says that 70% of their customers are former Netflix subscribers.
Netflix says that they are losing customers.

Hmmmm.......

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last I heard, netflix had over 1.2M subscribers.  The price drop to $17.99 is around 5 bucks. That is a minimum of $5M in revenue that they are throwing away per month and in all reality that number I'm sure is much much greater.

Companies don't throw away that kind of money on rumors. They are currently losing subscribers and they have lowered their price to compete with Blockbuster which also offers the service for around $18.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top