Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 4:02:08 AM EDT
I live in a small,2 story (8 unit ) Apt. bldg.
Occupants are couples, retired people and me.
Quiet neighborhood, (mostly single and two family homes), a K9 cop lives around the corner
actually.

I only know my neighbors on a "Hi , good morning" basis.

Lately ( several weeks now ) the couple upstairs have been having LOUD arguments,
tossing furniture, slamming doors, etc.

This usually occurs in the 1 AM timeframe.
I also can smell Pot in the hallway regularly.

I want this situation resolved before REAL
trouble happens.
So what should I do.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a discrete conversation with the landlord about the problem and then on to "other things" if that fails. [:D]

[devil]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:12:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I say go to the landlord. If he doesn't resolve it in a reasonable amount of time, start looking for another place.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Start with the landlord.  If that fails, go to the cops.  If that fails, move.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the guy and his wife/gf are having trouble. Go up there when he isn't home, if shes hot, bang her. Then the next time you hear them fight, go upstairs and knock on the door and tell them to STFU!. Simple.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Next time you smell pot,  call the cops and say that you heard a gun shot upstairs.  Then later recant and say...oh maybe they slammed some furniture and it sounded like a shot....sorry officer.  If they disturb you and have no respect for their neighbors in the building, then YOU DISTURB THEM!!  Call the fucking cops.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you talk to them ?

If not, send a letter to landlord telling him they are depriving you of the use of your rental.

Dont be an ass, the cops should be the LAST resort.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a similar couple living next door onetime in college.  It all came to a head finally when the guy ran out of the house with a gun in his hand, jumped in his car and drove away.  The cops were called, and while they were there he called his girlfriend and told everyone he was going to off himelf.  I asked the cop if they had people on their payroll to talk people INTO suicide.
I couldn't complain too much though, they paid their cable bill every month, which helped me out [;)]

The girl was cute too, too bad she was shacked up with a psycho.  I was hoping after they carted him away to the booby-hatch that she'd come out of her shell & I'd get a chance at her (anything has to be an improvement after him right?) but it didn't happen.
He did all sorts of funny shit that we used to laugh about.  Threw his keys through the front window out into the street.  He took up plants to try and calm down, and wound up getting pissed at the plants one day and throwing them off the balcony.  I remember his being home one day screaming at the top of his lungs (apparently after breaking the TV) "Jesus just take me now.  Come & get me." which I found amusing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#9]
An important thing to do is keep a detailed log of what happens with dates/times. It will help your landlord in getting rid of them.

Just a simple log like:
"11/26/03, Woken out of sleep by neighbor arguing loudly with visitor in hallway at 1:30 a.m."
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]
As I see it, you really only have two choices when it comes to the AR15.com school of conflict resolution:

1. Take a crap on their porch.
2. Step outside naked and fire off a 30 rounder over their heads.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Find em a better weed connection...
--RR
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As I see it, you really only have two choices when it comes to the AR15.com school of conflict resolution:

1. Take a crap on their porch.
2. Step outside naked and fire off a 30 rounder over their heads.
View Quote

3. Blame it on the NeoCons.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#13]
You need to call the cops next time you hear the argument. Since you live below them, there is a chance someone that has a beef with your neighbor, hit man, drug dealer, boyfriend etc could mistake your apartment for the scum upstairs and put you in a world of shit. Seen it happen, had it happen.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you tried asking them in person to keep it down???
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with this.
View Quote

That would be the End-all most effective route, but it sure would seem like running away from your problems, unfortunitly most other routes are probably illegal and or dangerous.
May I suggest tear gas or smoke if you're not too troubled with breaking a few silly laws.
Or move.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

trouble happens.
So what should I do.

View Quote

OMFG!!, shoot 'em now! shoot 'em now! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll echo the "Have you tried something as radical and amazing as knocking on their door and asking them to keep it down? (and maybe open a window when they light up)"

Maybe it's a little wishful thinking, maybe because my neighbors are always reasonable when I ask them to keep it down (not that that happens much), but what do you have to lose? I always like to try and resolve a problem face-to-face before going to higher authority or just leaving.

Or you could just shoot them both in the head. It's legal in Texas! [:P]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#18]
[b]Get Out Of The Cities!!!![/b]   [devil]
[snoopy]!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the replies.

I really LIKE the Naked Blast a Mag idea[:D]
but considering my physique they would probably
just laugh [BD]

I plan on moving by summer anyway, but it will
be on MY terms , so I will talk to the Landlord first.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I live in a small,2 story (8 unit ) Apt. bldg.
Occupants are couples, retired people and me.
Quiet neighborhood, (mostly single and two family homes), a K9 cop lives around the corner
actually.

I only know my neighbors on a "Hi , good morning" basis.

Lately ( several weeks now ) the couple upstairs have been having LOUD arguments,
tossing furniture, slamming doors, etc.

This usually occurs in the 1 AM timeframe.

trouble happens.
So what should I do.

View Quote

Damn, that is me! Except I live in a 4-unit bldg, and there is no pot smell (but fighting young couple yes).
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#21]
What the hell does POT have to do with this?? [chair]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Paraphrased, Edited and taken completely out of context From Original Quote From Ar15Fan:

...possession of a single pot seed meant immediate summary execution, bullet in the back of the head.
View Quote

Put a pot seed on their doorstep and then call Ar15fan over--End Of Problem![:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I was going to say burn down their house, but you live there and that wouldn't be nice to do to a fellow arfcomer.

[s]That was what I did[/s]  [s]What I would have[/s] What someone told me they thought about doing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#24]
" Call the fucking cops."

they got Cops for that now?

Call the Landlord and let him know.  If you like the place try and work with him.  If you don't like the place that much, let the Landlord know you're leaving.  He can then decide whether he wants to lose money on your leaving or their leaving.  If you leave he loses the money and is still stuck with problem renters.  Which would you chose?

If you do call the Cops, make sure it's a good call.  You don't want them to be pissed at you for wasting their time on a pissy call.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Get them a copy of Dr. Phil's book, wrap it, and lean it against their door.  He will solve all their problems![:D]

And get them a can of Glade or something for the pot smell in the hallway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top