Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 10:32:39 AM EDT
I'm trying to remove my fixed telestock on my Colt 6400C, and the damn thing won't come off.  I've got the telestock wrench, and have tried will all of my might to turn the castle nut and loosen it, but it won't budge.  Is there something I'm not doing right?  Does Colt put locktight or something on there?  I called their customer service, and they've been less then helpfull, and told me they don't offer "gunsmithing" tips and such over the phone.  I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone to loosen this for me.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]
righty tighty lefty loosey
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
righty tighty lefty loosey

Really?  

Trust me, I'm trying that.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#3]
From the factory those tele stocks are held in by a nut that this torqued-in(or supposedly torqued) and it is really tight, you may get to get one of those vise block and a breaker bar with that special spanner wrench to loosen it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
They may have used Loctite or some other threadlocker.

You can buy the Loctite solvent in the store or carefully use a little heat on the nut.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
When those stocks are installed, a special grease should be used to prevent corrosion from dissimilar metals.  Bushmaster and other places sell it.  That said, that may be your problem.  Rather than torque it, you might want to spray some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a while.  PB Blaster is pretty good.  Sometimes I'll take a lightweight hammer and tap the wrench rather than just push on it.  Don't break the back end of the receiver though.  That would be bad.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#6]
one guy was saying...If you dont have a receiver vise/clamp thing. Put the wrench
in the vise and turn the rifle,but I dont know.

www.rbprecision.com/rb_precision_ar15_performance_tips_.htm
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Had to take it up to my local armorer.  He loosened the nut for free.  It was just torqued VERY tightly.  6 position stock is now on!  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Hit the notch of castle nut with a screw driver and hammer so it can turn loose. Give it a good whack (I'd say careful but in this case who cares if you make a scratch you aren't gonna use that tube anyway) and it will come loose.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not hit the wrench with a mallet, ? Not super hard but enough times to get it loose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top