Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 6:24:31 PM EDT
OK,I'm real frustriated right now,my car won't start,not due to anything mechanical though,I cant get the key to turn in the ignition.I've tried everything & it just won't budge.Here's a little background,The past few days 80% of the time when I go to turn the car off I can't get the key out of the ignition,I fiddle with it & it comes out a few minutes later,I feel the [for lack of a better word] "barrel" of the ignition slide every time I insert the key I made an appt with the shop I have all of my work done at tomorrow [Friday] morning, but I don't think I'll be able to get it there.Any suggestions??
I'm an @sshair away from takeing a 12 gauge to it.Any help would be MUCH appreciated.Thanks,Mick.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Move the steering wheel from side to side as you try to turn the key.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Move the steering wheel from side to side as you try to turn the key.

this
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the 1st thing I tried.I'm familiar with this problem,however the feeling I get tells me that there is something different going on.Thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of car first off?

My guess would be the ignition cylinder needs to be rekeyed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

car won't start

make/model/.....

and VIN number (just kidding)

:}

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a Pontiac Grand Prix.
It turned on/off without any hiccups all day today which was a huge surprise.I just want to get it working so that I can get it to the shop tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Can someone tell me how to hotwire it?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
try spraying some clp or wd40 on the key and into the slot. then insert the key and work it around. It sounds like the tumbler pins are hung up or broken. the lube may loosen it up a bit and free it up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you tried a spare key?

Also bang on the collum while you try to turn the key, this will shake the tumblers some if they are hanging up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah the spare key is in like new condition & it doesn't help at all.I'm gonna go out right now & try the WD40.Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
No luck,I have no idea how I'm gonna fix this.I really don't wanna call a tow truck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
try spraying some clp or wd40 on the key and into the slot. then insert the key and work it around. It sounds like the tumbler pins are hung up or broken. the lube may loosen it up a bit and free it up.

Sounds like it could be this, or the tumbler pins have fallen out. This has happened to me before. When the guy at the shop tool it out, it fell completely apart. If this is the case, someday you'll go to start the car and your key won't turn at all.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sounds like it could be this, or the tumbler pins have fallen out. This has happened to me before. When the guy at the shop tool it out, it fell completely apart. If this is the case, someday you'll go to start the car and your key won't turn at all.

Sinking feeling in Stomach!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Listen, nobody likes to pay for a tow, but it is the cheapest way to move a car without damage or endangering others on the road. and your insuarnce may reimburse you
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]
So being able to hotwire is a skill we need!!!

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
For future reference.

Don't use wd-40 on locks.

Get a small tube of graphite.(sold at any auto parts store)

It can make a mess but it will keep locks from freezing up.

sorry I can't help you with your present problem,others here have already said it.

You're going to have to get the assembly fixed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sinking feeling in Stomach!!!!!

My upset stomach wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I would have just had it replaced when WD-40 etc. didn't seem to help. Instead, Tater's cheap ass got to pay for a tow AND a new ignition tumbler.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Have you tried a spare key?

Also bang on the collum while you try to turn the key, this will shake the tumblers some if they are hanging up.

This is the first thing we try after they are towed in.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Can someone tell me how to hotwire it?

OK take off the cover to the steering column, other side of the key should be a black circle looking box 2-3 screws, unscrew take screw drive (Flathead) insert and turn...........car should start right up..........hammer and screw driver I could start a car in under 20 secs............but that was 10+ years ago
but if the steering wheel is locked that's a different story
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top