Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 9:17:51 AM EDT
Ok, I had a discussion with my boss today about gun control and assualt weaposn. I need some very repitable websites that show the percentage of actual crimes that involved the use of assualt rifles...  say in the last ten years. I also need the grand total of people killed using an assualt rifle in the US during the year 2003. Thank you! If the websites can be of the non-pro gun that would be great....so nothing from here...but more like History channel dot com or something along those lines.... thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You shouldn't be on the defensive. Let him back up his B.S. without using misinformation from the Brady Bunch website.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You shouldn't be on the defensive. Let him back up his B.S. without using misinformation from the Brady Bunch website.

I concur...

ETA: I would help ya out if I could, But I am no expert on the subject.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Stats are stats, and can be skewed whichever way you want.

IMO, the Fed's BOJ as one source is a reasonable starting point, and isn't either "pro" or "anti" gun.

For example:

Offenders

According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -

a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%

During the offense that brought them to prison, 15% of State inmates and 13% of Federal inmates carried a handgun, and about 2%, a military-style semiautomatic gun.

On average, State inmates possessing a firearm received sentences of 18 years, while those without a weapon had an average sentence of 12 years.

Among prisoners carrying a firearm during their crime, 40% of State inmates and 56% of Federal inmates received a sentence enhancement because of the firearm.

BOJ Firearms and Crime Statistics

Remember, it's the man making the arguement, not the numbers, that convinces other people.

YMMV

ETA

Report on Firearm Use by Offenders
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Any other thoughts....what about the number of people killed with assualt type weapons for 2003
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, I had a discussion with my boss today about gun control and assualt weaposn. I need some very repitable websites that show the percentage of actual crimes that involved the use of assualt rifles...  say in the last ten years. I also need the grand total of people killed using an assualt rifle in the US during the year 2003. Thank you! If the websites can be of the non-pro gun that would be great....so nothing from here...but more like History channel dot com or something along those lines.... thanks!!

Nothing but trouble for you in this debate regardless of the outcome. Put down the statistics and move away slowly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
One more thought on the subject:  you're not going to make any progress if you take the approach that "well they're used to kill people LESS OFTEN, so that makes them OK"...

Most antis don't make that distinction.  They're not gun geeks like we are, and could care less aboutthe technical differneces.  A gun's a gun's a gun to them.

It's should be enough to say that AWs are just not that common, and focus on the bad guy doing the bad things, not the weapon.

Maybe if you could tell us what his main objection to AWs was?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Well to start, he confused AW's with Machine guns...and couldn't understand why I would use an AK for hunting deer...."don't you think you should give em a chance...?" So I explained the differnences....and his mistakes with his "knowledge." Then he went on to say that every cop hates AW's and that's hundreds if not thousands of people die because of uzi's and drive by shootings... How's that? So that's why I need to know how many people died in 2003 from AW's. I would have like to have used this year....but it's not over yet. Another though: Anyone know where I could find out how many people died in Dodge Dakota Sport Pick-up trucks...that's what he drives...I would like to make a comparison that might hit home.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Google is your friend:

www.google.com

enter "firearms deaths cdc"

You get links like this: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/pub-res/firarmsu.htm

Carry on...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top