Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 5:57:09 PM EDT
My computer has been doing phantom restarts when I try and run BF2 ever since christmas when i installed a new RAM card. It would restart on the first try and then run smooth after that.

I figgure the RAM is bad and have removed it. Now it will freeze up during the game, either when joining a server or when connecting to the account server.

If that does not happen, it will kick me to the desktop after loading 14% of the new map.

None of this happened before I installed the 1.2 patch.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled BF2 twice along with the full patch, not the incremental one.

The machine is a Athalon 3200+ , now on 512MB X 2 for RAM and on cable. Video card is a Radeon X700 with the latest drivers windows can find.

I got a new fan to eliminate the possiblilty of heat being a problem.

What should I check?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
i got sick of the guys on bf2 tonight so i will attempt to help out.

1.make sure all fans are spinning at proper speeds.   for a AMD chip (the heat sink fan) should be running at 5k rpm.  urfortunatly Amd are very picky at cooling thats just the way they are.

next. 2.  take the sytem down to bare mininum.  take out ANY extra cards.  modems extra sound cards.  then try to play the  game in SINGLE player only.   see if it runs that way!!!

3.    do you have any other problems with this system or just in bf2.   blue screens, random rebooting anything at all outside of bf2.  

4.   do you have antivirus installed......... and updated.  

5.  download hijackthis  click direct download and post your logfile here or im it to me.  

6.   before you play bf2.   exit out of EVERYTHING down on in the bottom right hand corner of your screeen.  you can right click on the icons and exit out of everything antivirus, software firewall, printer,   EVERYTHING.    on my gaming system i only have about 22 programs running.  

7.  exactly what fan did you replace??  

bf2= asoldierwithm118
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

1.make sure all fans are spinning at proper speeds.   for a AMD chip (the heat sink fan) should be running at 5k rpm.  urfortunatly Amd are very picky at cooling thats just the way they are.

next. 2.  take the sytem down to bare mininum.  take out ANY extra cards.  modems extra sound cards.  then try to play the  game in SINGLE player only.   see if it runs that way!!!

3.    do you have any other problems with this system or just in bf2.   blue screens, random rebooting anything at all outside of bf2.  

4.   do you have antivirus installed......... and updated.  

5.  download hijackthis  click direct download and post your logfile here or im it to me.  

6.   before you play bf2.   exit out of EVERYTHING down on in the bottom right hand corner of your screeen.  you can right click on the icons and exit out of everything antivirus, software firewall, printer,   EVERYTHING.    on my gaming system i only have about 22 programs running.  

7.  exactly what fan did you replace??  

bf2= asoldierwithm118

Here is the hijackthis log file

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:58:53 PM, on 2/15/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\acs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\108Mbps Wireless LAN Adapter\WLANPRO.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KHAL\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Aaron\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis_199.zip\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: 108Mbps Wireless LAN Adapter Configuration Utility.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Reg.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\acs.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe

The only other card I have in is my Wireless ethernet which I have been playing off of for the last 3 months or so with no problems.

I had a couple (a total of three or so since christmas) blue screens since I installed the suspect RAM. None since I took the bad card out that were not from BF2.

Only things running in the corner are the mouse utils and the video utils with the volume and network stuff.

Single or multiplayer makes no difference. It CTD at ~14% no matter what

I did not replace a fan, I added a new one on the case to help move the air through.  Untill now it has just meen my CPU, VPU and Power supply fans with no problems.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
your hijackthis is fine.  you look like your runnin the bare minimum  

what is the model number of your system.  or is this one your put together.   i originaly had problems with bf2  and it was my sound card drivers.  check to see if there is an update on the motherboard manuf.  web site.

do you have any other games installed,  if you do do they run ok...... it looks like you have steam installed so you must have half life 2 installed.   that would be a good test.  

another thing to try put the detail AND sound level to the lowest level and see if that changes anything.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What did we do?? :)

-d
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Possible solutions:

- Defrag the drive
- Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and end most of the processes in there that look to be programs, such as programs for video card, wireless network, xfire, etc, etc. Get to a bare minimum. Then try running the game in single player and see if it crashes.
- Check the CD, does it have any scratches on it?
- Just because Windows doesn't find any new drivers, check your version against the newest ones available at the mfg's website.
- You might try creating a new profile in WinXP and installing BF2 under that profile and see if it works then.  

-d
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

alot of you guys just get real irritating after a while.  thats all
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

alot of you guys just get real irritating after a while.  thats all

I hear ya, I get irritated when I get a purple heart too

j/k
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
reformat when all else fails.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That is the "wanna-be" tech's answer to everything... Reformat and restore.

-d
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the "wanna-be" tech's answer to everything... Reformat and restore.

-d

Hey who told!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the help and comments guys.

I got a newer driver for my Video Card.

I tried Halflife 2 and got it to freeze up just like battlefield did.

Right now my problems can be summed up into two kinds.

After I installed the 1.2 patch I would get random reboots, Crash To Desktop, and Freezing.

After I removed the "bad" ram, I now only get the Freeze and CTD.

Since my second Reinstall and patch, I Have gotten the Freeze twice in BF2 and once in HL2.

One of the IS guys at work suggested checkingthe thermal grease on the CPU/heatsink

Would overheating cause this freeze?  It does only seem to happen when loading a map or other high processor load operation. I let it run all day with winamp and firefox open and got no freeze or reboot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#12]
no offense to your IT guy but if its a retail box cpu.  the grease on the bottom is not going to just fall out.  So DO NOT remove the heat sink.   you ONLY remove that heat sink if you are replaceing the fan.  other wise you risk damaging the die on top of the chip.  

1....again check the speed of the cpu fan.    AMD chips are very problematic when the cpu fan is not spinning fast enough.  if its no spinning fast enought even at idle the sytem will blue screen or reboot.   running the bf2 game is going to heat up the process even more.  if its not getting cooled off its gonna have problems.  

2.....if your having ram issues  download and run all night actual download linkmemtest86  burn it to a cd and if your bios is setup right it will boot off that cd and run the test automatically.  

3...have you tried the game with sound and graphic detail turned all the way down yet ?

4....let find out what name brand hd you have>  open my computer >  right click on your HD click properties  select hardware it will tell you the manufactor here.    maxtor. westerndigital, segate, hitachi, ibm, samsung are possiblities.  
5.....how much space is available on the harddrive also

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a home built box.

I got a fried MoBo from NewEgg and had to remove all the componets but that was at the end of last summer, and it has run fine up until christmas. So I am doubtful of the grease thing too, now that you mention it.

What is the best way to check CPU fan speed?

EDIT--- HD is a Maxtor. Currently has ~65GB free
EDIT2--- I think the RAM issues are resolved. The freezing is a new thing, and may just be from overheating. I have tied the cables up in bundles to clear the case and have turned the A/C on in my aparntment (we are having 70 deg weather and it has been 75 or better in my room).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]
google speed fan and d/l it. it will show if you are running hot.

reformat. its easier and faster compared to talking about a problem for days/weeks. unless you like problem solving. this is interesting though.

as for reformating being a hassel. not true if you keep most things backed up on an external hard drive.

but check your temp running the quake 4 demo. i stay at 25-27c with my amd 64 3200.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]
you can also mess with cpu fan in bios. and speed fan says my fan is running just over 2700 rpms.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
reformat. its easier and faster compared to talking about a problem for days/weeks. unless you like problem solving. this is interesting though.

as for reformating being a hassel. not true if you keep most things backed up on an external hard drive.

Again.. lame answer for a tech problem... Reformatting is not the answer to go to first. It IS NOT easier... you have to install all of your programs over... redo your settings... the list goes on and on.  Way easier to troubleshoot (I take it you don't know how to do that...) than to spend 2-3 days loading all of your stuff back on your pc.

-d
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#17]
"spend 2-3 days loading all of your stuff back on your pc."

lmfao! get real.

REFORMAT. it does your pc good anyway.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like you and I had the same problem NOTSO.

I had a similar problem when 1.12 first came out. Crash to Blue Screen, system automatically rebooting when joining a game etc.. It was memory related, but I didn't have the problem before. I tried moving the paired memory in diffent memory slots....

What I did to fix it, was changing some settings in BIOS. I reduced the memory MHz from 200 MHz to 166 MHz. So I was running 400MHz with Dual DDR, and now running at 333 MHz Dual DDR.

It has run stable now for BF2.

I changed the Memory from "SPD" [200 MHz] to "Default" [166 MHz] and all is fine.

I also thought it was my Anti-Virus program. I uninstalled to fix the problem along with them memory speed. But, I've since reinstalled it without any problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"spend 2-3 days loading all of your stuff back on your pc."

lmfao! get real.

REFORMAT. it does your pc good anyway.

I have atleast 35 applications installed on this pc... everything from small utilities to Adobe Creative Studio and Macromedia packages... probably atleast 14 different games installed too. So once you get your OS installed... and after installing all of your apps and games... then comes changing settings.. which can take a while to get everything back the way you want.

That doesn't even include copying images, movies, data, etc back to your C: if you moved or copied it to another internal drive or external drive.

-d
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top