Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 12:27:44 PM EDT
...start falling apart after 6 months. Any suggestions? I'm looking at Asolo Agents but don't want to drop $160+ if they aren't going to last at least 2 years.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Salomon XA Pro 3d's
Just decide with or without Gore Tex.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like my Salomon XA Pro 3d'sJust decide with or without Gore Tex.
View Quote

Does that quick lace stuff hold up?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.

I apparently got some of the last of the Moabs that don't self destruct, but even with replaced insoles, there's not enough support to prevent my feet from hurting after 8 hours on my feet. Literally no other shoe that I've ever worn hurts my feet like this. They are comfortable while wearing, but after several hours you notice a little ache. The next day, pain.

my 20 year old Vasque Newbriers, as worn as they are, I can wear all the time.

I've read that the Keen line has gone downhill in the last several years as well.  

Salomon shoes come highly recommended, but "durability" is not one of the characteristics that I see touted (plus, the arches are WAY too high for my feet).

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought some Vasque Juxt's when they were on sale at Amazon.  I've only had them for about 4 months (and only wear them on the weekend), but they seem very well made.  Just one word on the fit though: they are pretty narrow shoes; I've never bought wide shoes in anything, but I wish that I would have in these.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got the same Salomons in blue.  I've had them for a few years now but I don't wear them every day.  Very comfortable and lets sweat evaporate pretty quickly.  The quick lace has given me no trouble at all and I still do not really see any wear on any of the parts.  I was worried that it would kinda wear through the loops but so far that hasn't happened.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tag.

I apparently got some of the last of the Moabs that don't self destruct, but even with replaced insoles, there's not enough support to prevent my feet from hurting after 8 hours on my feet. Literally no other shoe that I've ever worn hurts my feet like this. They are comfortable while wearing, but after several hours you notice a little ache. The next day, pain.

my 20 year old Vasque Newbriers, as worn as they are, I can wear all the time.

I've read that the Keen line has gone downhill in the last several years as well.  

Salomon shoes come highly recommended, but "durability" is not one of the characteristics that I see touted (plus, the arches are WAY too high for my feet).

View Quote

Yeah they are, I bought a pair yesterday and after a half day of wearing them I couldn't take it anymore. I'm hoping they break in or I'll be finding some different inserts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagged for interest. I was thinking of getting a pair of Moab Ventilators, I liked them when I tried them on in the store but I don't know how they're going to feel after 10 hours of climbing a mountain. I also like shoes that last at least a couple years.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So far.  My first pair lasted 2 years, wearing about 3 days a week.  The uppers and soles and laces are fine, it's just the insoles that wore out.  Just got pair #2.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Was big fan of Merrill's but the don't last long.

Started buying Vasque's. I hate mention this because I don't want them to be fanboy'd out. I would also agree with the others about Salomon brand, they are good to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Started buying Vasque's. I hate mention this because I don't want them to be fanboy'd out. I would also agree with the others about Salomon brand, they are good to go.
View Quote

Fanboy'd out?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So far.  My first pair lasted 2 years, wearing about 3 days a week.  The uppers and soles and laces are fine, it's just the insoles that wore out.  Just got pair #2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and this time around I tried on a few other brands of shoe, with those old fashioned laces, and was quickly like "wtf is this shit?"  I love the speedlaces, so quick and easy to adjust.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fanboy'd out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fanboy'd out?

Every been to a gun show and see a 300lb mess wearing Merrills and 5.11 tactical pants? It's like a uniform here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

How do they fit over diabetes compression socks?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting. My Merrills have held up to quite a bit of abuse over the past year or so and are only now starting to wear out on the soles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Check out Oboz.  I've had two pair that wore very well.  And very comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a pair of merrells I have had for nearly 8 years now and they are still great.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a pair of merrells I have had for nearly 8 years now and they are still great.
View Quote

Those are the good ones, the newer ones fall apart.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm wearing a pair right now, that I've had for about 8 months.  Awesome shoes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#21]
My daily shoe is a Vasque Juxt.

I have some Vasque Breeze GTX boots that are really nice. I had some Moab mids, and could feel every rock. Not so with the Vasques.

I think the Breeze 2.0s are out now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Super disappointed in my Vasque shoes. Barely a year old and the stitching is giving up in both shoes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Garmont.  Try them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#24]
What happened with Merrells that they don't last? Are they doing something different with their shoes?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it just me or are all "hiking" boots just glorified glued together sneakers?
I've tried Merril', Vasque and a pair of Irish Setter hunting boots, all of which lasted less than a year.
The glued portions fall apart, stitching falls apart, all insoles are junk.
Mind you I'm rough on boots, they get plenty wet and see quite a bit of abrasion.

Many times I wind up wearing my Chippewa logger work boots, they hold up good but they're too heavy for hiking a lot of miles.

Somebody please build an 8" hiking boot with support, good insoles that are stitched together with quality materials.

/ rant
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Keens.

/thread
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I switched from those to Keens for that very reason. The just quit holding up. I'm on my 3rd set of Keens and love em
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I've tried Merril', Vasque and a pair of Irish Setter hunting boots, all of which lasted less than a year.

Mind you I'm rough on boots, they get plenty wet and see quite a bit of abrasion.

Many times I wind up wearing my Chippewa logger work boots, they hold up good but they're too heavy for hiking a lot of miles.

Somebody please build an 8" hiking boot with support, good insoles that are stitched together with quality materials.

/ rant
View Quote
Peter Limmer and Sons, Intervale, New Hampshire. You're Welcome

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Do you know what the defining feature of the Moab is? How incredibly soft it is. So I can't really think of a shoe like the Moab that will last longer. Most people seem to get them to last a good bit longer than 6 months anyways.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a pair of merrell moab ventilators that have been from the south rim of the grand canyon, over to the north, then back (rim to rim to rim is about 45 miles). And a couple rim to rim trips,  and rim to river trips, along with long hikes at other National Parks. They look the same today as they did a couple years ago. I just bought a new pair because the cushioning in the sole is gone, they feel like they have no shock absorption anymore, but the material and the stitching is all still 100% good. Even the tread on soles are just barely worn down, its a fairly tough vibram sole, any other shoes would have been flat on the bottom by now. They still look very similar to the new pair I just bought, other than being an dirty orange shade of grey now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

/ rant
View Quote

8 inch hiking boot? I've never heard of such a beast. 8" work boots, combats boots, maybe hunting boots sure. But not hiking.

As for your first question, some are, some aren't. Gotta know what you're looking for though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been wearing the same pair of Merrills everyday for the last 6-years.  Replaced the laces about three times and the treads are gone, but they've held up extremely well.  Was thinking of replacing them, but maybe they dont make them like they used to.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea

My Salomon's quick laces survived a motorcycle accident, my fibula did not.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Use Kerns now.  Love them but still have to take the rubber cement to the sides of the treads after about a year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top