Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 5:03:19 PM EDT
Just got an insurance settlement for hail damage and need to replace the roof.

Got a quote for 29ga metal, 40 year warranty, new flashings, vents, drip edges, etc for $4900, licensed, insured, reputable contractor. Same guy will do 30 year architectural shingles for $5300 or flat 25 year three tabs for $4500. I have the flat three tabs now, the architectural would look the best but the metal would be the most durable.

I want to go either metal or architectural shingles, having a hard time deciding, advice?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not do the shingles yourself and save the money?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You do not want to do the metal shakes yourself.  They are a bitch.  I put 50 yr. shingles on my house.  I think they were heritage or something like that.  It was five yrs. ago.  They look like they should last another 40 at least.  Probably be dead by then, so I'm not too worried about it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why not do the shingles yourself and save the money?

I could, it would be easy to overlay the existing three tab flat ones with architectural shingles and replace all the flashings, stay within code, pull a permit, etc. I'm in the reserves now but have been on active duty since 2009 away from home until the end of this year so I really don't have time to do it, would just rather spend the insurance check and come home to a new roof
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]
29ga is pretty thin, we only use 24ga. You can see button caps under 29ga. I assume this is an exposed fastener panel installed over felt over old roof(no tear off)?  

Shingles are all about to go up, announced this week. Whatever you do do it fast.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Metal. Standing seam or similar. NO exposed fasteners or pole shed steel. If you choose wisely it will be the last roof you replace in your lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
29ga is pretty thin, we only use 24ga. You can see button caps under 29ga. I assume this is an exposed fastener panel installed over felt over old roof(no tear off)?  

Shingles are all about to go up, announced this week. Whatever you do do it fast.

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I would go with steel, but I would shop around a little.  That sheet metal is extremely thin and I'm wondering if it's a low grade brand.

They offer 29, 26 and 24ga, the quote was for 29ga. I don't know much about the steel roofing, it has a 40 year material and paint warranty. Supplied by Gulf Coast Supply and Mfg.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I would do a heavier gage metal. I got a huge discount on my insurance for metal
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I had shingles once.

Doctor said the vaccine won't do me any good now.

wait...  what was the question?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]
29 gage sheet metal is thin. This would be .014 thick. Put 5 sheets of notebook paper on top of each other and that is your comparison.  If you have a hail storm, looks just like your car would look.  Make sure you know what kind of metal roofing he will be using. You can have all aluminum, galvanized with a painted surface and just plain painted. Will they be removing the old shingles before placing the new metal roof. What type of seams will the roof have. Do a little more research. How many squares is your roof and what is the pitch. You need this to compare.

You can get a 50 year shingle that has a 130 mile wind rating and is an architectural shingle. Again will they be removing the current shingles before installing the new ones. Some codes do not allow more that one layer of shingles. Did this include new felt paper and what pound of paper 15 or 30.  Are they using a nail gun or hand driving. With a nail gun if they cannot maintain a very constant pressure and more that one person is running a gun off a compressor you will have issues. They usually break the tab with the first nail with a nail gun. This becomes a problem with a wind storm. One shingle goes they all go. Again squares and pitch help make the comparison.

Go look at the jobs they have done. Ask the home owner if they were happy. Of course they are not going to send you to an unhappy customer. Get at least 10 names. If they are good someone will still have a gripe but you can make a decision you are comfortable with.

Something to consider. How old are you and how long do you plan on living there. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Heavier gauge
Standing seam
Top quality, enjoy for 35 years
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#13]
How old are you and do you inend on staying in the house for an extended period so as to reap the cost benefits? If young and staying for a while then steel else asphalt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Gonna put a metal one on this summer !
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Decra Steal roof.  Decra  Lifetime warranty.

Check with your insurance company.  I just replaced my roof with Decra Shake roof, and I got a 27% discount on my homeowners insurance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#16]
First post and all......
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#17]
PM JCKnife... he works for a company that does metal roofs...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#18]
What county are you in?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Heavier gauge
Standing seam
Top quality, enjoy for 35 years

THIS!

I slept outside my house during Francis and Jean. All through the night I watched the shingles from my house and the house behind me fly by overhead. had I not received such an ass raping from Allstate, I would have a metal roof instead of shingles now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

29 gage sheet metal is thin. This would be .014 thick. Put 5 sheets of notebook paper on top of each other and that is your comparison.  If you have a hail storm, looks just like your car would look.  Make sure you know what kind of metal roofing he will be using. You can have all aluminum, galvanized with a painted surface and just plain painted. Will they be removing the old shingles before placing the new metal roof. What type of seams will the roof have. Do a little more research. How many squares is your roof and what is the pitch. You need this to compare.

You can get a 50 year shingle that has a 130 mile wind rating and is an architectural shingle. Again will they be removing the current shingles before installing the new ones. Some codes do not allow more that one layer of shingles. Did this include new felt paper and what pound of paper 15 or 30.  Are they using a nail gun or hand driving. With a nail gun if they cannot maintain a very constant pressure and more that one person is running a gun off a compressor you will have issues. They usually break the tab with the first nail with a nail gun. This becomes a problem with a wind storm. One shingle goes they all go. Again squares and pitch help make the comparison.

Go look at the jobs they have done. Ask the home owner if they were happy. Of course they are not going to send you to an unhappy customer. Get at least 10 names. If they are good someone will still have a gripe but you can make a decision you are comfortable with.

Something to consider. How old are you and how long do you plan on living there. Good luck.

It was 15lb paper over the existing shingles, metal is placed right on top of the paper. Painted steel marketed as Tuff-Rib. 22 squares, 4:12 pitch. He gave me a stack of references with phone numbers, probably know 10 people in this county out of the bunch, will call them. I'm 33, and will have this house paid off in 5 or 6 years, don't plan on going anywhere. Thanks for the advice

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes it would be over the old roof, over 15lb felt. Not sure on the fasteners, will find out.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How old are you and do you inend on staying in the house for an extended period so as to reap the cost benefits? If young and staying for a while then steel else asphalt.

Plan on having it paid off in five years or so, 33 years old, not planning on going anywhere.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I would do a heavier gage metal. I got a huge discount on my insurance for metal

Gonna check with the insurance company and see if that is the case.

That's why I ask questions here sometimes and try to answer some, all kinds of good info and perspectives to gain some knowledge from and hopefully give some back .
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Check with the steel manufacturer and see if it has an Energy Star rating. You could get a tax credit for installing a "cool roof". I believe the credit was lowered to $500.00 for 2011 but it beats a kick in the pants.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Large Poly Tarp.

Pocket difference.

Profit!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
we did the galvalume over peel and stick it was 11k but it was after wilma and it is a 36sq two story. Insurance before the metal roof was 8300 after 2700

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Depending on where this contractor is, Tallahasse area call Bradco or Gulfeagle or possbly ABC Supply. If Valdosta call Sunnyland, and if Lake City area call Gulfeagle, Bradco in Gainsville and ask about the guy and if they would give you a couple of addresses they delivered to near you so you can see his work. You might catch the homeowner there and ask them if the guy is a douche.  

If he checks out, thats not a bad price on the metal recover, I would get a price on 26ga, it should be only a few hundred more($250-300) and tell him that. The Three tab price is also a pretty low price, but that 30year arch price is  high, if he can put on 22/sq of three tab for $204.50 per sq. he can install 30year arch for $215 per Sq. since they are only about 10bucks more per square, that puts you about $4730 for 30yr arch.  Ask for these prices without telling him your considering using him, if he thinks your a buyer he will keep his price higher if he thinks your still shopping he will keep it leaner.    

That said, if this guy is traveling over 20 miles to your house for those prices he is either starving to death or he is a bottom tier contractor.  I would check this guy out pretty in depth, FL dept Prof Reg. to see if any complaints against
his license. As well as city and county building dept.  He is only going to give you names of happy customers that used him since the last rain. See if you can find out more or PM me I might know him.  

That metal is a 36" exposed fastener panel. The fasteners have a EPDM rubber washer that is the weak link, if the guys don't sink them square. That metal from Horseshoe beach has a reputation for being inexpensive, but I have not heard any bad reports about it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top