Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2002 5:15:05 AM EDT
I can't recall what command/file I need to run in Windows to open up my Startup programs - I used to be able to Click on Run in the Start menu, then type in a name, and it would pull up all the programs that are supposed to start up automatically each time I reboot.  From there I could click on or off certain programs.  I have been trying to delete a program (an OCR program that came with a scanner that I can't get to work for some stupid reason) and there are a couple of files that won't delete.  When I reboot the computer it gives me an error message because it is trying to locate the ocr .exe file to start up that program, which I don't want on there anymore.  There is no Uninstall for that OCR software, but it won't let me delete all the files.  SO I think if I can get Windows to stop trying to open it on startup, it should stop being a problem.

Anyone know how I can solve this problem?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
regedit
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried turning the application off in the MSCONFIG.EXE file?  This application allows you to select which applications will actually startup when Windows boots.  This assumes you're using Win98?  Anyway, you open this app and flip to the STATUP tab and select/deselect the items that are already queued for startup.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
msconfig is the best way.  If your operating system doesn't support it IE win2000, there are programs you can download to do the same thing as msconfig did.

I wouldn't use regedit unless you knew exactly what you were doing.  You can really harf up your system with that command.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCONFIG.EXE
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys - msconfig did it.

I wish I could figure out why this scanner won't work, though. It is a Umax 2000U - USB. I followed all instructions, but it won't scan. It seems to recognize the scanner, but won't test properly. I tried all the suggestions in the Troubleshooting, but no luck. I wonder if it won't work with XP Professional? It is about 3 years old, though in new shape. Went to the website of Umax, but no help there.

I'm about ready to let one of you guys have it to see if you can get it to work. If you can, keep it and pay me $20 plus shipping. Any takers?

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#7]
click start/run   then type msconfig.exe, click ok
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Windows XP Professional
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I came across this: "UMAX 2000u Scanner 3.55  
This works fine now, but was a bear to install. It took a few tries and a few combinations. Install 3.53, reboot. Install 3.55 update. Go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System. Open the driver manager. Find the scanner. Choose the one that has the MS driver installed. In properties tell it to use the Umax Driver. Close and reboot. Good luck." from  [url]http://www.myshipmates.net/xpsc/guestbook.asp?action=search_results[/url]

Or: [url]http://www.scanner-drivers.com/companies/1096.htm[/url]

I would look here first though: [url]http://www.driverscollection.com/main.php?file_id=1850[/url]

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Good free program out there called Start Up Cop. Check ZDNET and CNET. Very useful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top