Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:05:13 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

How do I pull the captured rotor on a the front disc system of a 92 accord LX???  DO Ihave to pull the whole CV shaft OR do I just need to remove the spindle nut ( center position 36 mm nut ) from the center of the rotor/bearing retaining plate?

Need a solid answer with no guesswork...I am low on time.

Thanks guys!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
free bump, cause i don't know
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey Guys,

How do I pull the captured rotor on a the front disc system of a 92 accord LX???  DO Ihave to pull the whole CV shaft OR do I just need to remove the spindle nut ( center position 36 mm nut ) from the center of the rotor/bearing retaining plate?

Thanks guys!!!

Go on google and search for honda car forums. Those forums can either have the answer for you already or you can ask it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey Guys,

Thanks guys!!!

I replaced the rotors on my wife's 1997 Honda Civic, as well as dozens of other front wheel drive
cars with disc brakes.

I'm pretty sure that once you get the caliper off, there is nothing else holding the disc on.

If it doesn't simply slide off the lugs, it is probably rusted onto the hub.

There may be a hole on the surface of the rotor that the lugs go through.
If this hole is threaded, it is there so you can screw in a bolt to help push the disc away
from the hub.  Keep in mind, if it is there, it is metric.  Probably 8mm.

If there is no threaded hole, you will have to use brute force.

You can hose it down with WD-40, concentrating the spray at the lug holes to help
get the stuff between the disc and the hub.  

You can also heat it up with a propane torch.  Expansion from the heat will help loosen things up.
Don't go crazy with the heat.  Hot enough to be painful to touch is probably enough.

Finally tap it off with a hammer.  

Ideally, it should simply be loose enough to practically fall off when you take the caliper off.

But I've had some that had to be beaten off with a sledge hammer.

Good luck

EDITED to add:  Some discs slid over a central ring that is a VERY tight fit.  
If yours is like that, and it is rusty, that could be a source of sticking.
Being in AZ, I don't know that rust is a big problem for you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Step 1: Remove caliper.
Step 2: Locate rubber mallet.
Step 3: Play whack-a-mole with your rotor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If you get the caliper off, there may be a screw holding the disc. If there is a screw, you will need to unscrew it using a hand-held impact driver and hammer to break it free or else you will strip it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
go to http:www.v6performance.net honda forums

Good luck

edit: just realized they don't have a 4th gen forum... I googled and got this:

answers
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys, thanks for the links and info, I really appresciate it!!  Any other advice will be welcome, of course.

Thanks again!!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Guys, thanks for the links and info, I really appresciate it!!  Any other advice will be welcome, of course.

Thanks again!!

Tannerite
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks again!!

Tannerite

I was going to suggest:

But your way is good too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks again!!

Tannerite

I was going to suggest:

www.collegeboredom.com/top8/grenade-us.gif

But your way is good too.

Ohhhhh, believe me, do not think that I haven't thought about it!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Finally tap it off with a hammer.  

A couple of taps with a ball peen hammer usually suffice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully they changed it from the way it way in the early 80's when I worked at a Honda dealer. You had to use a big slide hammer to put the rotor/hub assy on and off warping the rotor in the process most of the time.  We had a special device that turned the rotor with it on the car. Honda had lots of brake problems back then.

rj
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top