Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 1:32:16 PM EDT
Requirements:
Can be locked onto a child's arm or ankle.  Not to be easily removed except by parent (preferably with a key or something similar).
Can reliably and accurately provide location information.
Not prone to software bugs.
Budget:  preferably under $1,000

No, I'm not kidding at all.  Sorry, but I'd rather not go into personal details.  This is an earnest request.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any but what my uncle does with my cousins is activate gps tracking on their android phones (the kids don't know) and looks them up whenever they're out. The kids don't know obviously I found out when I was playing with their phones one day.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't know of any but what my uncle does with my cousins is activate gps tracking on their android phones (the kids don't know) and looks them up whenever they're out. The kids don't know obviously I found out when I was playing with their phones one day.

I'm looking for something for an elementary school aged child.  Seems a bit young for a cell phone.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Dog tracking collar. Not sure about the range.
http://www.pet-super-store.com/pet-supplies/dog-tracking-collars/

I have a friend that was having trouble with his 16 year old daughter running away, skipping school, drinking, stealing and drugging. I recommended one of these for her only half-jokingly. He didn't go with it. The next time she ran away he was regretting that decision.

I'd also paint the collar bright orange and attach a large card to it that reads "I'm wearing this because I run away."
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm looking for something for an elementary school aged child.  Seems a bit young for a cell phone.

I was going to suggest this as well.

It also gives you the added bonus of them being able to call mom/dad/911.
It also gives you the added bonus of being able to call them.

Google Latitude isn't 100% perfect however. But it works reasonably well. It works on android phones, and I believe they have apps for other phones as well.

No matter what you go with I would imagine you will be paying data fees in order to upload their location to a server somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Note: It is lockable with remote unlock function.

http://www.referenceguide.com/reviews/wherify.htm
L

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
there are lot of child trackers out there. the issue is they all come off like a watch.

Edit.. NM see above.. thats awesome
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Would you have any way of securing something like this?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Appears to have been discontinued.

There's another one by loc8u, but it apparently has very spotty performance and a lot of bugs to work out according to the reviews.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately the Whereify website doesn't seem to be working, but there's this thing.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/child-locator.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Already looked into that one.  Not very good reviews.  Very buggy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Try this Shane. My Mother in law works with really low functioning adults with serious mental disabilities and they put these on them.
http://www.caretrak.com/news.asp?Pid=1&Cid=17

ETA: My cousin has an autistic child that wanders and she recommends contacting these folks:

http://www.projectlifesaver.org/

They also put in an electronic perimeter alarm that is activated by a watch type of device.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]

That article is from 2002.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Try this Shane. My Mother in law works with really low functioning adults with serious mental disabilities and they put these on them.

http://www.caretrak.com/news.asp?Pid=1&Cid=17

Has potential, but the person in question would toss it in a heartbeat if he felt like it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Trouble is, I figure if he has any time alone, he will have time and means to get it off.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Trouble is, I figure if he has any time alone, he will have time and means to get it off.

From what I understand I the State of Utah you cannot attach a device to an individual that must be removed with a key without court order.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, this child is "very superior" on IQ tests and very resourceful.  If the device can be removed with a screwdriver or similar tool, it could be gone by the first day.  I need something absolutely reliable, that locks on, and that is relatively tamper proof.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I understand I the State of Utah you cannot attach a device to an individual that must be removed with a key without court order.

Crap.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#19]
There's this thing:
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/04/amber_alert_gps_tracking_syste.php

You'd have to figure out an attachment system but it appears to have a substantial loop for a strap of some sort.

Edit: Nevermind. If he's set on not being tracked, this thing can be disabled pretty easy by the user.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That article is from 2002.
Nevermind. Seems like just yesterday I was looking at these for my kids. Time is slipping by faster than I realized.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#22]
You have a smart kid looking to run away?

Knowing some of the story might suggest some products and eliminate others.  Just sayin'...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, this child is "very superior" on IQ tests and very resourceful.  If the device can be removed with a screwdriver or similar tool, it could be gone by the first day.  I need something absolutely reliable, that locks on, and that is relatively tamper proof.

Your smart child is going to take this as a challenge. One he'll probably rise to meet quite well.
And in doing so, he'll also likely lose respect for you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy one that works, and put the tracker in the sole of his shoe.

I know how corny it sounds, but it may be your best bet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#26]
How old is the kid and is he running away when at school?

What about sewing something into his backpack? I like the tracker in the sole of the shoe also.

Can you get the state to place something on him?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#27]

+

Sorry, just trying to bring some levity to the situation.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Crap.  

Probably the best bet would be a watch or cell phone that he would love and not want to leave behind.

If he'd view it with suspicion if it came from you, then have his favorite relative "gift" it to him.

ETA: Or some other gadget.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#29]
How old??
Top Top