Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 9:37:57 AM EDT
Here's the problem......I have a young'un that Very much wants to hunt Ducks. He is comfortable with his .410 for plinking, but you can't very well hunt ducks with it anymore. Unless you pay $3 a pop for some of the new super duper designer ammo. Haven't found any steel shot .410's yet.

I did buy him a youth model 870 Remmy (20 gauge), but I need to do something with the recoil. Even the light dove loads are a bit stiff for him. What is the best way to eliminate some of the recoil without adding weight to the Gun?

Do the LIMB SAVER recoil pads work as advertised?

I appreciate any suggestions.

I have a 3 1/2 inch chambered 12 gauge I hunt with, the barrel is ported. I can't tell that porting a scattergun makes any difference. So I've pretty much discarded the idea of porting His gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe they make a Pachmyr Decelerator for the 870.  I've heard good things about them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Not meaning to insult your intelligence, but be sure to cut off the stock when adding the pad.  If you don't, it will mess-up the length of pull.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not meaning to insult your intelligence, but be sure to cut off the stock when adding the pad.  If you don't, it will mess-up the length of pull.
View Quote

It's a youth model stock with a factory pad (rock Hard). No need for chopping, unless the new pad is way thicker than the factory one.

I have heard the limbsaver pads reduce felt recoil by 50%......anyone have any experience, Is there any truth to this?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#4]
And give him a vest to wear with a built-in shoulder pad.  In fact, you should build that pad up for him by slipping something thicker in underneath.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And give him a vest to wear with a built-in shoulder pad.  In fact, you should build that pad up for him by slipping something thicker in underneath.
View Quote

Good, Idea, Will try this also.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Do not take this as any slam on your kid......Maxi-pads. If you don't have a padded shoulder vest, slip one or two under his shirt...you can even use the adhesive to hold them in place. The also make great field expedient bandages.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Remington's selling a new recoil pad by Sims Vibration Laboratory called the R3. They are reported to be very effective. They are pre-sized for several Remington models. I know Brownell's ([url]www.brownells.com[/url] sells them. You might check and see if they have one for that gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
to answer your question about the limb saver pads. YES THEY WORK!!!

i had one on my PSS .308, made it so tame my 9 year old DAUGHTER would shoot it. she'd get about 10 shots before it was too much. that from a bolt action .308 being shot by a 65 pound girl.
put the limb save on it, he'll have no problem
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have this on my O/U.

[url]http://www.kickeez.net/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Remington's selling a new recoil pad by Sims Vibration Laboratory called the R3. They are reported to be very effective. They are pre-sized for several Remington models. I know Brownell's ([url]www.brownells.com[/url] sells them. You might check and see if they have one for that gun.
View Quote

This is the EXACT Pad I am talking about. Limbsaver Or SVL makes these pads for remington who coined theem the R3. The R3 won't fit my particular model of 870 (express) so I'll have to get the Limbsaver Brand.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I've recently made a discovery after buying the new elastomer pads.  I've alrady tried wearing shirts with extra padding and a wearable shoulder pad. I've also used mercury recoil reducers.  

I've come just shy of buying a hydrocoil shock stock from JS.

But, I took a piece of 3/8" fairly dense closed cell urathane foam and used athletic tape to attach it to the skin of my shoulder.  That under everything else works the best.

Get the stock pad it will help.  Try the foam and tape, it will work.

PS.  reminder to keep a tight weld to the shoulder and cheek!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top