Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2013 6:09:17 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a 2-car metal carport for a rental property. Going with a 22'x21'. Anyone have any recommendations for a quality built unit? Which company makes the better ones? Snow load rating is important here in the NE!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody has any experience with metal carports?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Since the car will be on blocks pay more for the ft. taller legs on the carport.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Find a local Carolina Carports dealer and visit them
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find a local Carolina Carports dealer and visit them
View Quote

This.  

Pay the extra to upgrade height and thickness and vertical lines on roof to aid snow removal.  
Ours has had 12" snow on it with no adverse effects.  Concrete anchors are nice but mine still has the long assed stakes and has been subject to some pretty good winds - hasn't blown away yet.  

Took 3 Mexicans about 15 min to erect.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm looking to buy a 2-car metal carport for a rental property. Going with a 22'x21'.
View Quote

It is illegal in Rhode Island to have a carport larger than the state.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm looking to buy a 2-car metal carport for a rental property. Going with a 22'x21'.

ok, i lolled
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Look for the wind and storm damage warranty. Add the structure to your homeowners insurance. Go with the heavier gauge. Get local quotes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Hit the metal building suppliers and they will be able to steer you to the installer.  You are in a forced Labor state so you might have a problem dealing directly with the guy who installs it as the the Union thugs might want a cut of the action.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Shop them out. The local Penny Saver has the best deals on them here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with square metal tubing only.  Do not use round because it will not do well in high winds.  I have two18 X 20 that have survived 2 nearby tornados where neighbors had carports built from rounnd tubing that collapsed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go with square metal tubing only.  Do not use round because it will not do well in high winds.  I have two18 X 20 that have survived 2 nearby tornados where neighbors had carports built from rounnd tubing that collapsed.
View Quote

This.

I have a 20'X20' square tube framed carport that survived hurricane Katrina and other smaller storms after.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys! I figured the 12ga would be better and will probably go with 7foot legs. It is however going on asphalt. Any advice on best way to anchor on tar?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks guys! I figured the 12ga would be better and will probably go with 7foot legs. It is however going on asphalt. Any advice on best way to anchor on tar?
View Quote

They will anchor it.
Lag bolts I think they are called.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They will anchor it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will anchor it.

They only anchor if the "certified" version is purchased. I've seen the spade tipped asphalt anchors but was hoping for a more secure way to anchor. A friend of mine said to overlap a 2x12 over the front and rear section of the ground rail on each side and park the car wheels on the boards when windy conditions are forecasted.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
there is a reason you see few of those in the northeast and tons in the south... the cheap ones have pathetic to no snow load ratings...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They only anchor if the "certified" version is purchased. I've seen the spade tipped asphalt anchors but was hoping for a more secure way to anchor. A friend of mine said to overlap a 2x12 over the front and rear section of the ground rail on each side and park the car wheels on the boards when windy conditions are forecasted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will anchor it.

Nope. When real wind is forecasted, get your car out of the structure, and into a real building.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
there is a reason you see few of those in the northeast and tons in the south... the cheap ones have pathetic to no snow load ratings...
View Quote

You have to get the heavier gauge vertical A frame building to get any kind of snow load. In areas of high load, they'll engineer the roof steeper, and to hold the load.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
If it is anything like mine, a 22'x21' carport won't really have enough pitch to survive any decent amount of snow. Unless you use some sort of support legs down the middle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Both of mine have held 18 inches of wet snow without problem.  Rare but we do get that nasty stuff sometimes.  Does RI get very much snow?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Both of mine have held 18 inches of wet snow without problem.  Rare but we do get that nasty stuff sometimes.  Does RI get very much snow?
View Quote

We had over 40" of snow last winter. Winter of 07 we had record amounts. Many homes had water damage from ice damming and many enclosed trailers had their roofs collapse.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We had over 40" of snow last winter. Winter of 07 we had record amounts. Many homes had water damage from ice damming and many enclosed trailers had their roofs collapse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell the salesperson from the steel building co that you want it snow load rated... You haven't started calling for quotes yet, have you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top