[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Look into drop cam.

https://www.dropcam.com/

easiest solution, but there is a yearly subscription fee.

eta: $200 for the camera, and $99 per year for cloud storage of the past 7 days of video.  But you just set it up and forget it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Look into drop cam.

eta: $200 for the camera, and $99 per year for cloud storage of the past 7 days of video.  But you just set it up and forget it.
View Quote

iirc not made for outdoors and poor NV range.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Paging TheGrayMan, TheGrayMan to the front desk please.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't anyone else have a major concern with your home security feed being stored in "the cloud" (that means on someone else's server)? Think about it, the camera is in your home recording everything you say and do. Do you really find it acceptable to make that data accessible to anyone besides yourself? And what about if they get hacked, and criminals use your cameras to know the best time to rob you? Cloud security systems like this or more of a security risk than benefit IMO.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Look into drop cam.

View Quote

Why the fuck would you or anyone else want EVERY MOMENT OF THEIR LIVES AT HOME recorded and SAVED ON THE FUCKING INTERNET!?

Fucking cloud storage for CCTV?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why the fuck would you or anyone else want EVERY MOMENT OF THEIR LIVES AT HOME recorded and SAVED ON THE FUCKING INTERNET!?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look into drop cam.

That. Buy a hard drive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#14]
How technologically inclined are you and how invasive of a process are you willing to get into?  

I'm in the midst of putting in my own system in conjunction with re-siding my house.  4 3MP cameras with IR. 2 bullet, 2 dome, all IP power over ethernet.  Home runs of Cat5e go to a 16 channel network video recorder with a 3TB hard drive which provides me real time access to the cameras and past recordings on my tv, computer, or iPhone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had awesome luck with Hikvision stuff.

DS-2CD2132F-IS - 3MP / 2048x1536 Resolution - Fixed Focal

DS-2CD2032-I - 3MP / 2048x1536 Resolution - Fixed Focal

DS-2CD2632F-I - 3MP / 2048x1536 Resolution - Vari Focal

iVMS-4500 - Mobile App

Some of the high points in my short experience:

1)  Better quality and resolution than most of the "system in a box" cameras.
2)  Spectacular night vision capabilities relative to this price point.
3)  Camera's firmware has built in NVR capabilities.  You can record to and play back directly from the camera itself over the internet using the web interface, mobile app, or PC/Mac software.  You can of course use a dedicated NVR like any other camera.
4)  Great construction, camera housings are made of metal, not plastic.
5)  No reliance on a 3rd party to view the cameras remotely over the internet.  Just set up port forwarding and dyndns on your router and connect directly with the app or web interface.  I just counted and it took 4 seconds from the moment I hit my app button on my home screen to the moment my live feed showed up.

The downside is that the setup is a bit more expert level but the time investment to learn how to do it right is worth it.  To get started with your education you just need:
1)  POE Switch
2)  One Camera
3)  One MicroSD Memory Card

So for under $200, you can can get a basic setup going on a single camera to learn the ropes and then scale up to as many as you need from there and add a dedicated NVR when you are ready.

This guy has an awesome site with some extremely informative reviews on IP cameras which helped me out a ton:
http://www.networkcameracritic.com/

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm wading through that.  It's an awful lot of information.  I was hoping to find a prepackaged solution.  Reading through that I could easily spend $2K on a system.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm wading through that.  It's an awful lot of information.  I was hoping to find a prepackaged solution.  Reading through that I could easily spend $2K on a system.  

Yeah, that thread was overload/overkill for me. I'm in the process of trying to get someone to install a basic IP system in my home, but I've had one company flake on showing and another drop off the face of the earth. Guess business is good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:23:12 AM EDT
[#18]
The business next to ours was robbed(smash and grab)the next morning the police asked us if we wouldn't mind going through our cameras to see if we caught anything. We did but because we had used standard definition our video was of zero use could not tell if the guys were white or black could not come close to reading the license plate etc it pays to buy hd stuff if you want to actually see what the heck is going on
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#19]
OP look into Netgears ARLO cameras, I bought the package of three cameras, total wireless and so far pretty happy as I can view events here in Saudi at my house in SC with no monthly subscription fees.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Integrating it into the Vista might be tricky. The Lorex is a decent system for the $ but wont tie into the Vista afaik. Are you using total connect? If so Honeywell has cameras that will link up with Vista home automation module, you will still need a DVR/NVR to record data.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1085743&gclid=CjwKEAjwsZyqBRCT1aq6qcD53DQSJACcen4CGYGi1Ra_7lVWp2Pkh9bMFkIc92dfHqEMaroTyMlFkBoC_KXw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

If you can swing it go IP.

Have you thought about switching to GSM communication for the alarm system?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top