Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/16/2002 11:45:12 PM EDT
Hey guys. I'm not even sure I'm in the right forum, but I'll give it a try. First of all, I'm in California and I'm in possession of a now-illegal AR-15. I missed my opportunity to register it, and I haven't removed it from the state yet. So I'm a felon. My buddy who is a police officer wants to buy it from me, since until the end of the year it will be legal for HIM to register it and retain possession indefinetely in California. I guess my question is, how much is it worth? I have no idea. It's about 3 years old. Lower is a Bushmaster XM-15 type with the 'long' A3 buttstock (trapdoor). Perfect condition. Upper is a 20" Colt HBAR with A3 removable carry handle. Has a few little scratches around the ejection port, but otherwise is in very good condition. Has a standard black nylon sling. So any guesses as to how much its worth? And can I sell it to someone OUTSIDE of California through an FFL, or not? Dang this sucks. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:30:56 AM EDT
I'd guess $750- 8 bills......
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:28:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:41:16 AM EDT
Sorry to tell you this... but I don't [b]think[/b] you can not legaly sell that rifle. You could strip the lower receiver and serender that to the athorites and keep the rest or sell it. You could build a new rifle using a [url]http://www.gogogadgets.net/[/url]receiver with your old parts, if thats what you would like to do. I'll have a look at it again and see if theres anything you can do... [url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:46:23 AM EDT
Take the gun and store it out of state, only to be retrieved when Kalifornastan is a liberated state. [beer]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:50:21 AM EDT
At this point you are going to needs a lawyers advice and not mine… But look at this section. Section 12280.(a)x describes unlawful sale and perches of an unregistered assault weapon. Now section (g) exempts sails to law enforcement, so because you are selling to a sworn police officer you would be exempt from article 2 – unlawful activities. At least that’s how it reads… check out that link
ARTICLE 2. UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES 12280.(g) (1) )(1) Subdivision (b) shall not prohibit the possession or use of assault weapons by sworn peace officer members of those agencies specified in subdivision (f) for law enforcement purposes, whether on or off duty. (3)Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit or prohibit the delivery, transfer, or sale of an assault weapon to, or the possession of an assault weapon by, a member of a federal law enforcement agency provided that person is authorized by the employing agency to possess the assault weapon.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:00:54 AM EDT
Transferring the rifle to an LEO may be OK, but the transaction will have to go through a dealer who is licensed to deal in "AWs".
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:58:37 AM EDT
Your buddy must get written authorization to take possession of the rifle from his agency, which may be problematic when they find out the weapon he wants to buy is an illegal, unregistered assault weapon. He is going to have a problem because you are committing a felony by possessing the rifle and his boss might, just might, ask why he ignored a felony dropped right in his lap. You can transport the weapon to a dealer in Nevada, Oregon or Arizona and sell it there to avoid trouble, or you might store it at a place like Front Sight in Nevada. One last question. How did you manage to miss an oppurtunity to register the rifle? The registration period ran for the entire year of 2000?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:03:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:05:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:39:22 PM EDT
Troy, I checked current law [url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=01717323556+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve[/url], and it appears that a qualified officer can buy an assault weapon in California today as long as he registers it within 90 days of the transfer. That officer can buy a brand new Colt AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine with all the evil features from a licensed Assault Weapons dealer as long as he/she jumps through all the hoops.
Top Top