Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 11:19:45 AM EDT
None of those ones with beans either....yuk! Or if someone could point me to that chili thread it would be appreciated. I'm sure some of you Texans have great recipes.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Chili without beans is worthless.......unless it's going on a hotdog.........then it is a condiment.

A good base for chili.

5lbs ground beef
2 large cans tomato sauce
2 large cans beans
4 packs chili seasoning
cayeene pepper

I brown five pounds of ground beef.  Drain and add two large cans of hunts tomato sauce, two large cans of chili/pinto/whatever you like beans, 4 pouches of chili seasoning mix, few dashes of cayeene pepper, and 3 cups of water.  Simmer for 45 minutes and then put the whole pot in the refridgerator for a day or two.  Reheat and serve after the flavors mix from the refridgeration.

You can also leave out the beans or add bell peppers or jalepeos or whatever you want when it simmers.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the store. Buy a package of Fritos Chili-o mix. Follow the directions on the back of the package. I like to add a little more meat than the directions call for.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Texas Red recipe complete with photos

Anyone who puts beans, cinnamon, chocolate or tomatoes in chili is a communist or a yankee.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Chili without beans is worthless.......unless it's going on a hotdog.........then it is a condiment.

A good base for chili.

5lbs ground beef
2 large cans tomato sauce
2 large cans beans
4 packs chili seasoning
cayeene pepper

I brown five pounds of ground beef.  Drain and add two large cans of hunts tomato sauce, two large cans of chili/pinto/whatever you like beans, 4 pouches of chili seasoning mix, few dashes of cayeene pepper, and 3 cups of water.  Simmer for 45 minutes and then put the whole pot in the refridgerator for a day or two.  Reheat and serve after the flavors mix from the refridgeration.

You can also leave out the beans or add bell peppers or jalepeos or whatever you want when it simmers.

Chili does not contain beans!
You can have Chili with beans
You can have Chilibeans
Still chili has no beans.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yay!  I guess I'll just have to tell all those Bama folks that I grew up around that we are all yankees for growing beans and then putting them in our chili.  

There is nothing wrong with beans in chili.  Most of the people I know first hand that don't like beans in chili are just pussies that don't like to eat their vegetables.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]
6 - 8    fresh long green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeds removed and cut into coarse chunks
1 large onion, chopped coarse
3  cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp  ceyene pepper
1/2 tsp  cumin
1/2 lb  lean pork roast, cut into 1" cubes
1/2 lb  lean beef sirloin, cut into 1" cubes
Juice of 1/2 lime
Up to 1-1/2 cups beef stock
Salt, black pepper, and hot green chiles to taste
1 tblsp  olive oil
2 tblsp fresh celantro, chopped fine

Roast the chiles, peel, seed, chunk and set aside for later.
Sautee onion, garlic, ceyene pepper, and cumin in olive oil.
Add beef and pork to sautee and stir fry until meat is close to done.
Add one cup of beef stock, lime juice and roasted chiles and bring to brief boil.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Salt, pepper and add hot chiles to taste.
If mixture is too thick, add more beef stock.
Just prior to serving, mix in the celantro.

Serve with cold beer, fresh corn tortillas and pico de gallo
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Texas Red recipe complete with photos

Anyone who puts beans, cinnamon, chocolate or tomatoes in chili is a communist or a yankee.

Man that chili looks good, I gotta try that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I had chili stew last night.

One 12 ounce can of beer.
3 lbs of cubed stew meat.
1 can tomato paste.
2 large sliced tomatos.
1 green bell pepper.
1 red bell pepper.
2-6 jalapino peppers.
1 large onion.
1 can of red kidney beans.
2 limes.
1 garlic clove.
Sea salt.
Black pepper.
Mexican oregano.
Your favorite chili powder.

Toss the meat, sliced and diced onion, peppers and garlic clove into a frying pan and brown them.

Toss the beer, sea salt, tomato paste, sliced tomatos, beans, chili powder and black pepper into a large stew container and set to a mild boil.

Toss the stuff from the frying pan into the stew container and mix it up.

Slice the limes and squeze the juice into the mix.

Let it simmer for a couple of hours covered.

Grate some cheese, slice up another onion, warm up some tortillias and enjoy.

And yes, REAL chili has no beans in it.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
If this is for some kind of  "chili cookoff", go to the meat market and buy some bull cods. Dice'um up real good so no one notices them. Then, after the contest is over tell everybody that they just ate bull nuts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yay!  I guess I'll just have to tell all those Bama folks that I grew up around that we are all yankees for growing beans and then putting them in our chili. .

nope, just communists
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yay!  I guess I'll just have to tell all those Bama folks that I grew up around that we are all yankees for growing beans and then putting them in our chili.  

There is nothing wrong with beans in chili.  Most of the people I know first hand that don't like beans in chili are just pussies that don't like to eat their vegetables.

Beans aren't vegetables either. (except maybe green beans)
Strike two
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably get flamed for this, but your basic "Wic Fowler" package at the grocery makes a pretty good chili.  You can do better if you start from scratch, but you can also do a LOT worse!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top