Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 6:12:04 PM EDT
Ok, got a Kimber Pro Tac, back before it was a regular line. And the bitch is, they weren't putting night sights on them before. Oh well, it is still a great gun. But really need to put some on. Noticed this the other day while shooting in low light conditions (not even near night), and the well worn sights were hard to lign up.

Anyway, I've noticed there are a ton of options out there. Here are what I'm looking at so far.

Mepro's. This is what Kimber puts on their guns, and will add them for $125.

Heinies (sp?). Various options, and not sure which one to get.

The Heinies are getting alot of good press over at the 1911 forums, especially the straight 8 sights. Only problem is I've never used this style sight, and am not sure how well they work, or how easy they are to aquire as opposed to three dot sights.

The Mepros? Well, my main concern here is whether or not they come in a two color scheme. Especially with a three dot sight set up. Don't really want to be trying to line up three bright green dots at night in a high stress scenario. Seems pretty easy to get a poor shot alignment.

Anyway, that's about as far as I've gotten with my ideas.

Would sure appreciate hearing what you guys are using, what has worked, and what hasn't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
i have Novaks on my Springfield.  i like them.  my only complaint is that sometimes the front site gets dirty from shooting.  but it's no big deal as long as you swipe it with a q-tip.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you go with the Mepro sights, you just tap out the old ones and put in the new ones.

If yo ugo with Heinies, yo uwill probably need to have the slide recut for them, and if you are going to do that, you might as well go with the Wilson COmbat 463 Combat prymaids that they install on their guns.

The 463 are, IMHO, some of the best sights in the market.

I plan on getting a set for my glock in the near future.

Loved them on my CQB.

BTW, mepros, and heines are are same color. The WC 463's are amber front, green rear (If IIRC. Might be the other way around)
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you go with the Mepro sights, you just tap out the old ones and put in the new ones.

If yo ugo with Heinies, yo uwill probably need to have the slide recut for them, and if you are going to do that, you might as well go with the Wilson COmbat 463 Combat prymaids that they install on their guns.

The 463 are, IMHO, some of the best sights in the market.

I plan on getting a set for my glock in the near future.

Loved them on my CQB.

Appreciate the input.

As I understand it, the you can send the slide in and have the Heinies installed, and they don't have to be cut to fit. As far as I know, they only had problems with the 3" models.

If I am wrong on this, could somebody correct me?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not own a Kimber, but I did install some night sights on an HK USP. The sights I settled on were from PT NightSights. They have the most options I have found, such as "bars" or "dots" for the rear (I believe the front sight is "dot" for any configuration. If you see well at night (fast pupils), they have some unique color choices, blue and red. All the colors they offer are blue, red, yellow, orange or green. If they don't offer the configuration you need, they welcome calls to request compatabilities.

P-T Nightsights
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Mepro sights are really good from what I seen.  My dad's duty Glock has them and they are bright enough to help you aquire but not overwhelming when it gets really dark.  $0.02.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I HIGHLY recommend the Hienie night sights.  Very simple, rugged, and well-designed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Novak or Hienes
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#9]
neither...

XS SIGHT SYSTEMS:  24/7 EXPRESS TRITIUM BIG DOTS!

low profile, and superman-fast acquisition!

$127 shipped...

just installed a set of these on my kimber series one... i am impressed!

if the sights look like a lower case "i" theyre lined up...

install took me about an hour, and the sights come with clear, simple instructions...

i couldnt find an allen wrench that fit the set screw on the old rear sight, so i just drilled that bitch out... front sight was a pain to get out, but the rear came right off...

the new sights only required sanding a small ammount of metal off the bottom to get them to fit in the existing dovetails...

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have trijicon adjustable sights on one 1911 and mepros on another.  My other two have novaks and that is what I would strongly recommend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Had Heinie's on a Para and you put one dot on top of the other.  Good normal sight picture and good night picture.  They are stronge as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:48:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag cause my Mepro are dead .

FWIW My Mepro are where multi colour . Green front orange rear .
I prefer Trigcons for brightness , but I may get a set of those i ones posted earlier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:13:07 AM EDT
[#13]
The Heinie Straight 8's are what I put on my Kimber Pro Carry.  In fact I have them on every handgun I own that he makes a sight for (HK USP, several Glocks and both my 1911's) .  The nice thing about the Heinie's is that the drop right in the Kimber rear dovetail and they look like they were a factory option.  

Oh yeah, they are VERY easy to use at night.  Just line up the 2 dots (one over the other) and you are on target.  I hate 3 dot night sights now.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top