Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 8:52:53 AM EDT
I'll throw this out ot he docs on the board:

Ate Christmas dinner leftovers for lunch yesterday at one in the afternoon. Around five or six I started getting a back ache and sharp pains in my stomach. My gut started to grumble and you know where I ended up for the next hour.

THen I started shivering and could not get warm for anything. Several down comforters and an electric blanket set on high and I still couldn't stop shaking. I spiked a fever of 102F. I became very nauseous but  I cannot vomit due to having had a nissan fundoplication

So my question is, is this a typical food poisoning reaction? Fast, quickly debilitating, high fever, or is this the onset of some kind of flue?

Thanks,

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
could be food poisoning but it takes like 24 hours to show up, and some cases longer depending on the bug doing it
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Nissan Fundoplication

I have one of those.  It has 363,000 miles and has only had oil changes every 3000 miles.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hope you're feeling better now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Give it 8-12 hours and see if it clears up.Me , the wife, and 3 kids have all gone through it since Christmas eve.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Food poisoning can occur at the earliest at 4hours, depending on the organism. At the 4 hour window, it usually means there were some pre-formed toxins already in the food. Sounds very likely in your scenario. Stay hydrated, and go see a doc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Food poisoning can occur at the earliest at 4hours, depending on the organism. At the 4 hour window, it usually means there were some pre-formed toxins already in the food. Sounds very likely in your scenario. Stay hydrated, and go see a doc.

I beg to differ.  Try about 60 minutes.  I know.  I got it.  Salmonella from a bad egg, I'm pretty sure.  Severe stomach cramps, projectile diharrea, etc.  But no fever.

The back pain, stomach noises and chills sounds like whatever creeping crud is going around here in AZ.  It's not food related, it just comes on like a freight-train and runs the fuck over you.  You'll develop a cough shortly that will hang on for four or five days.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all, I'll keep drinking water / fruit juice.

I'm having some sensitivity to light right now so this may be flu onset.

I'll let you all know.

efxguy

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the same operation. Had it done in 2000 and haven't had heartburn or reflux since. I am also able to vomit, but it is extremely painful.

Sorry I can't help with your symptoms, that's never happened to me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#8]
3 hours is supposed to be the earliest due to Staphylococcal food poisoning.

It is not unusual for people to mistake viral stomach flu for food poisoning as they attribute their symptoms to whatever they ate last and often eating precipitates their symptoms.

It could be other things in any event, including pancreatitis or cholecystitis(infected gall bladder) and there is not enough info here to really sort it out. Even pneumonia might present with some of the symptoms you describe.

Your history is compelling for food poisoning however. In any event I recommend you see a doc, get an exam after a better history than you are giving here, and probably some meds to make you feel better.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
congrats...

you met..food pathogen "staph aureus"..
4-6 hr incubation usually..

can be nastyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for a few hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top