Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2017 3:33:45 PM EDT
I need to rig up a way to lock an attic access door in a closet. It doesn't need to be bomb proof, just enough to keep little kids out.

How would you do it?

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Hasp lock

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I'd say - a simple hasp & padlock. You'll have a bonus holding cell on the other side of the door.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Some screws and some blocking would be easy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]
ARFCOM is slow today..

MAGNETS to be done correctly, it should be rated to 87lbs..
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking hasp,  it I would have to either bend it a little or rig up some blocking since the door sits up about a 1/2 inch or more.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what I'd say - a simple hasp & padlock. You'll have a bonus holding cell on the other side of the door.
View Quote
Sadly, no since there is attic access from the pull down stairs in the garage....guess I will need more hasp locks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not install an interior, locking door knob.  It will look a LOT better than a hasp and pad lock  From the outside, all you'll see is the knob and keyhole.  

You can also get interior locks (without a knob), so all you'll see is a keyhole.

Both options are available as surface mounts (on the interior), so they are super easy to install (no mortising required).

This is just one option ($15).  It requires only a few small thru holes for mounting and operation.

P.S. - Is that door's panel just a piece of drywall?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Budget lock. Look up on ebay or somewhere like that
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Since it's to keep little people out how about a child lock like the ones for kitchen cabinetry?  Get them at the home center, little pieces of plastic that mount to the inside and let you open the door about an inch until you press down and release the latch.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-US&oe=utf-8&safe=images&client=tablet-android-samsung&q=child+locks&qsubts=1498420274099&source=browser-type&devloc=0#imgrc=JXSfmwTiIE6fQM:&spf=1498420276359
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why not install an interior, locking door knob.  It will look a LOT better than a hasp and pad lock  From the outside, all you'll see is the knob and keyhole.  

You can also get interior locks (without a knob), so all you'll see is a keyhole.

Both options are available as surface mounts (on the interior), so they are super easy to install (no mortising required).

This is just one option ($15).  It requires only a few small thru holes for mounting and operation.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81qK-iOCGjL._SL1500_.jpg

P.S. - Is that door's panel just a piece of drywall?
View Quote
It is plywood
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since it's to keep little people out how about a child lock like the ones for kitchen cabinetry?  Get them at the home center, little pieces of plastic that mount to the inside and let you open the door about an inch until you press down and release the latch.
View Quote
Thought about that..but I think my 4 year old would defeat it easily. Think I just going to go with a cam lock with bracket screwed into the 2x4 for it to catch on.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thought about that..but I think my 4 year old would defeat it easily. Think I just going to go with a cam lock with bracket screwed into the 2x4 for it to catch on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coffin lock.

All that shows is a hole for the wrench to turn it.

A shaped cam comes out of one side and engages a metal insert on the other.

Coffin Locks

Body on the plywood, insert in the framing around the opening.

$6.40 each.

Rose Brand Coffin Lock

You can also look for "scenery hardware coffin lock".
I used many of them for stage scenery and all sorts of things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top