Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 12:54:10 PM EDT
Hey guys, I was building another FAL from a kit yesterday and came across this in the buttstock.  It's a small piece of oil paper with blue ink writing.  Writing is about 60% legible.  Translation please?

Wedik??yigif

Huyuk Konyen Tank Onbaus
isyahim Jana glegil
Sensiz gecen ginlerime

Kown??

Unlegible signature I suppose.

That's all I can make out.  there seems to be writing in between some of the writing and some accent marks I am unfamiliar with.  We find things like this tucked into the worst condition wood buttstocks available.  Who knows, maybe the next kit you buy will come enclosed with one of these, it's like opening a cracker jack box!  
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
looks almost netherlander or ductch, etc, IM tuukka and see if he can decipher it.
i take it it's handwritten?
the sentence structure looks like an inspection label.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Courtesy of Babblefish's monkey to english program

"Help! my monkey brothers and
I are trapped in the Century
Gun building shop & are being forced to
build cetmes. Free us now!

Fred"
View Quote

bwahahahaha!!!!!!!!
PMP!!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, handwritten.  It's a square 4.5 x 4.5 oil paper.  

We found a piece of cloth similar to the kind you'd use to clean the bore of a 12 guage with an address on it awhile back, unfortunately it's no longer here.

If anyone is interested in purchasing this piece of history, give me an email.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like it could be the I.D. of the soldier it was issued to.  I know the Swiss do (or used to) to that.  My Bro-in-law picked up a Swiss Schmidt-Rubin straight-pull rifle last year.  What an amazing piece of machinerey.  Anyway when he went to break it down for a good cleaning, underneath the butt plate (heh. I said "buttplate"), was a slip of paper with the guys name, address etc.  One of the guys at the milsurp shoot (a total re-enactor type with Swiss everything, including the hobnail boots) said that that was a common practice for the Swiss and many of the Scandinavian countries as well.
Later,
R
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Derek just told me I got it out of a Turkish G1 kit.  Anyone speak Turk?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I was building another FAL from a kit yesterday and came across this in the buttstock.  It's a small piece of oil paper with blue ink writing.  Writing is about 60% legible.  Translation please?

Wedik??yigif

Huyuk Konyen Tank Onbaus
isyahim Jana glegil
Sensiz gecen ginlerime

Kown??

Unlegible signature I suppose.

That's all I can make out.  there seems to be writing in between some of the writing and some accent marks I am unfamiliar with.
View Quote

Looks Turkish, but I'm by no means a linguistic expert .
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the same thing as you. A lot of us with the G1 kits got it. I believe it was said to be the name, unit, rack number and maybe address of the soldier/former owner of the rifle.

[url=http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11221&highlight=note+stock]One Thread on Stock Notes[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool thread.  No numbers are visible on the paper so I think it might be a simple checklist or a small note to someone.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
You LanguageFu is weak, young apprentice.....Any True follower of Ninjitsu can easily decipher the following:

Wedik??yigif
View Quote

MallNinja Haikus?  Alrighty....

Huyuk Konyen Tank Onbaus
View Quote

My Hand in Park tank

isyahim Jana glegil
View Quote

To test out my awesome skill

Sensiz gecen ginlerime
View Quote

Flip out and chop heads

Kown??
View Quote

Kown is obviously the author's name.

Go do kneebend for two hours and meditate!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like it could be the I.D. of the soldier it was issued to.  I know the Swiss do (or used to) to that.  My Bro-in-law picked up a Swiss Schmidt-Rubin straight-pull rifle last year.  What an amazing piece of machinerey.  Anyway when he went to break it down for a good cleaning, underneath the butt plate (heh. I said "buttplate"), was a slip of paper with the guys name, address etc.  One of the guys at the milsurp shoot (a total re-enactor type with Swiss everything, including the hobnail boots) said that that was a common practice for the Swiss and many of the Scandinavian countries as well.
Later,
R
View Quote

Lots of old-timers kept their hunting licenses in the the buttplates of their rifles, shotguns, etc.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a similar note with the G1 FAL kit I ordered from TAPCO this spring. Many of the G1 kits had such notes. There have been several threads concerning them on the [url=http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php]falfiles[/url] in the past, you may have to search for them.

These notes were usually put in the rifle by the Turks when the rifle was turned in for reissue. Things like "Take care of this rifle and it will take care of you" or "Do what the sargent tells you the first time and he won't beat you." [shock] Sounds like good advice to me. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Courtesy of Babblefish's monkey to english program

"Help! my monkey brothers and
I are trapped in the Century
Gun building shop & are being forced to
build cetmes. Free us now!

Fred"
View Quote

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I read something over at Culver's Garand board that might apply.  With some of the Danish Garands, people are finding notes in the stock that states the sight zeros.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
dont think thats turkish, homey- but i could be wrong. looks more like norwegian or finnish. possibly swede. a lot of the constructions in there are universal scandinavian/german, some leaning more towards the finn/swede side.

oh yeah, and the fact that it is the rule of a lot of scandinavian languages to capitalize all nouns...
View Quote

Since I speak Swedish fluently (born there) I can tell you that it's DEFINATELY not Scandinavian or Finnish (stepdad is Finn, and I believe we have a Finn on this board, tuukka, who could vouch for it.)
Also no Scandinavian language capitalizes the nouns, the Germans do, but they're not Scandinavians.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks Turkish. See if your supplier has any Oz SMLEs captured at Gallipoli....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagn'nagl fhtagn."
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like friggen' Klingon to me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top