Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2001 8:58:05 PM EDT
There seems to be a few people here who went through Nuke School.

I was in class 8405, machinist's mate, and was stationed at Pearl Harbor on the NYC and the San Francisco.  

I met perhaps the only female with a nuclear NEC.  Are women allowed in the program now?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Class 8401, Machinest's Mate, USS Carl Vinson, CVN-70.

Thinking about it they may allow women now for surface ship duty.  Lucky bubbleheads are still safe from a PC lifestyle.  I knew a chief whose sister was a Nuc IC, from the last class in the early 80's.  She's a CWO now if I remember right.

JT
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#2]
8205 machinest mate
9001 EOOW
too many ships to name
Yes, women folk are back in the program, since 94/95.  Only on surface ships, both officer and enlisted, yes it is nice being on subs and not dealing with the additional multitude of issues brought by ladies.
TRW
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still trying to get in the NUPOC program, should hear this week if I will get my medical waiver or not, then I get to go to the interview with Admiral Bowman.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Is everyone a machinist's mate? One of my good friends' brother is a nuclear machinist's mate also. I'm really ignorant about this kind of Navy stuff, so do all machinist's mates do the same thing basically or is it just a job description that covers a variety of different duties?

Michael
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
8904. Funny couldn't remmeber it at first.
Anyway Ponyboy, there are 3 rates for nukes in the navy. MM, EM, and ET. MM can have 3 jobs if they qualify. You can be an ELT(nuke chemist,) an underwater welder, or a MM.
I think you find more MM's because it is the only guaranteed rate in the nuke program, and you always want it in writing from a recruter. If their lips are moving and all ...
And yes I was a MM as well, but a ELT.
Got to be on the USS Texas and the Arkansas.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Machinist's Mate is a [b]rating[/b], second class, first class, etc. are [b]rates[/b]. See your [i]Bluejacket's Manual[/i] if unsure. The Machinist's Mate rating is generally associated with operating fluids under pressure as in power plant operations, AC&R, hydraulics, etc. There are a few NECs outside of this such as those in actual machine shop operations as found on tenders and in SIMAs. There are more MMs because there is a greater need for them overall than nuke ETs or EMs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I get to go to the interview with Admiral Bowman
View Quote

Why are you interviewing with a flag officer? When I enlisted and took the NFQT, I interviewed with the OIC of the MEPS.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I get to go to the interview with Admiral Bowman
View Quote

Why are you interviewing with a flag officer? When I enlisted and took the NFQT, I interviewed with the OIC of the MEPS.
View Quote

I am trying to get an officer commision as a Nuclear propulsion officer.  To get into the program, you first must meet their academic and physical requirements, then be offered a series of technical interviews, then the final interview with Admiral Bowman.  I've met the academic requirements and passed the PT test, but was disqualified due to a previous knee surgery.  We have appealed for a medical waiver--I expect to hear something by the first of next week.  I really hope I get the waiver because this is something I really want to do.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Admiral Bowman?  It used to be Rickover.

It was fun talking to JO's about their Rickover interveiw.  Pass/fail, no makeup and no excuses.

A question that Rickover asked was "Piss me off," while you were standing at attention in front of a 2/3 star admiral.

One guy started throwing the contents of his desk out the window, and another started messing up his fish tank.

The idea was to weed out the guys who could not think on their feet - damn good idea.  Our best engineering JO was a theology major(!!!!!) and our worst had a 3.8 GPA from MIT with a master's in Nuclear Engineering.  

The 3.8 guy froze during simple drills and had to be prompted by the guys in manuevering.  He eventually got booted out, but spent all his time in the meantime sorting out M&M's by color while all the other JO's were working 100 hour weeks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Reaching back there were two additional RATINGS that were phased out, Interior communications and boiler tech the final ICmen were converted in the early 80's and the BT's before that.  The Navy continues to convert ratings, combining the electrical types and calling all of them ET's, the torpedomen on subs are now MM's with a weapons spin.  All the while standing up new ratings such as the IT professionals to keep the computers running.  No I am not in the personell department, I just have been in all of my adult life (more than half my total life) yes I enjoy the military and will miss it when I am gone.
why is it guns and nukes go together?
TRW
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Admiral Bowman?  It used to be Rickover.

It was fun talking to JO's about their Rickover interveiw.  Pass/fail, no makeup and no excuses.

A question that Rickover asked was "Piss me off," while you were standing at attention in front of a 2/3 star admiral.

One guy started throwing the contents of his desk out the window, and another started messing up his fish tank.

The idea was to weed out the guys who could not think on their feet - damn good idea.  Our best engineering JO was a theology major(!!!!!) and our worst had a 3.8 GPA from MIT with a master's in Nuclear Engineering.  

The 3.8 guy froze during simple drills and had to be prompted by the guys in manuevering.  He eventually got booted out, but spent all his time in the meantime sorting out M&M's by color while all the other JO's were working 100 hour weeks.
View Quote

Yes, its Admiral Bowman now, Admiral Rickover retired I believe.  I've talked to several Nuke officers and none have said anything about being asked to piss the Admiral off.  We were told to just go in, sit down, and keep your mouth shut until he starts asking questions, then just answer the questions.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top