Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/12/2003 1:47:50 PM EDT
Am thinking of joining a Navy Reserve unit. Am in need of some more adventure and would like to serve my Country again. 11 years prior service 3.5 years active, 7.5 years National Guard, US Army , Airborne Infantry and Armor. My father was a Sailor and I have always liked the Navy and am tired of sleeping in the mud! Am a full time Police Officer and was think of the Navy rating of " Master of Arms" , is this Navy Police? Anyone here ever held this rating and can tell me about it? What is a normal weekend drill like , Any and all info about the Naval Reserve needed , Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:13:12 PM EDT
Click here: NAVCOPS Network - U.S. Naval Law Enforcment Membership Network - Est. 1997
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:26:38 PM EDT
MA is the Navy's police or law enforcement. Go for it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:47:42 PM EDT
14+ years in the Navy Reserve and I got to shoot a rifle for qualification ONCE. And it was an M-14. I shot fine, my prone group was actually one big hole. However for some of the folks, all the women and some of the men had never shot a rifle before. Quite a difference when you are expecting M-16s. As an MA you could get assigned to a Security unit of some kind where the shooting may come fairly often. But if you drill out of a local center, you could get cross-assigned. This means that you have an assigned mobilization billet with a unit assigned to another Center but primarily drill with a unit at the local Center. (In that case you may never see a weapon depending on the type of unit. The only weapons I ever saw at Pomona were my and Center CO's personal arms. We used them as training aids and when we had a round the clock exercises. The center was not in a good part of town.) When cross-assigned your mobilization unit should "should" provide training guidance and help you get Active Duty Training at the school or other location that is best for your career development. Your local unit should help in that effort. Often the local unit will try to get you assigned to them. Not all units will have MAA billets, or enough at your rank, which is another reason you might get cross-assigned. You need to fill the TO somewhere. Cross-assignment can be interesting. We had a "youngster" get cross-assigned to us. I was Mobilization Officer and I sent him a welcome to our unit package. A week later Saddam invaded Kuwait and two weeks after that he joined up with us in Japan for 12 months of recalled duty. Good Luck, my last few years I was able to swing two training periods each year in the Philippines, Korea and Japan.
Top Top