Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 8:36:50 AM EDT
Anyone watch this show that's on national geographic/history channel (i can't remember which)   they do shows about worst case scenarios.  The other night they were talking about what would happen if one of the volcanoes in Yellowstone erupted.  Said cities like Denver could be covered in 3 feet of ash.  And it could carry all the way to KC and give us inches to a foot.  Millions could potentially die from the blast,inhalation of the rock particles,  and starvation.  It would also absolutely ruin the country's economy.  Pretty much an ultimate shtf situation.  Just thought all of that was pretty informative and interesting.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw that last night. I don't think a lot of people in this country understand, we're just one disaster away from being a 3rd world country, mark my words.  If something big like that ever does happen with all the "City Folks" we have in this country we're doomed. Most of em' can't hunt, can't fish, can't raise a garden for food, don't know the first thing about camping and hiking in the woods. When the welfare check doesn't come it'll be all out anarchey, they'll be looting and murders for food, cities will become waste lands.  When they run out of food in the cities and start working their way out into the country then they'll learn all about country folk and why it's a good idea NOT to piss them off. Country boys can shoot straight for the most part, none of that "ganster" style shooting crap you see on TV.  It's true that this is the Greatest Country on Earth, so long as out technology is in place, take that away and we'll fall flat on our ass, well, the City people will, out here in the Country we'll get along just fine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anyone watch this show that's on national geographic/history channel (i can't remember which)   they do shows about worst case scenarios.  The other night they were talking about what would happen if one of the volcanoes in Yellowstone erupted.  Said cities like Denver could be covered in 3 feet of ash.  And it could carry all the way to KC and give us inches to a foot.  Millions could potentially die from the blast,inhalation of the rock particles,  and starvation.  It would also absolutely ruin the country's economy.  Pretty much an ultimate shtf situation.  Just thought all of that was pretty informative and interesting.  

I'm in St. Louis. I'm safe from that. Not.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm in St. Louis. I'm safe from that.

Yeah right  

You might not be killed in the initial blast, but we'll all be hurting when global temperaturs drop, crops fail, livestock die, and food supplies start to dwindle.  

Then we'll see who's laughing at my basement full of spam!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah right  

You might not be killed in the initial blast, but we'll all be hurting when global temperaturs drop, crops fail, livestock die, and food supplies start to dwindle.  

Then we'll see who's laughing at my basement full of spam!!

I have an Inbox full of spam?  I know it would be really bad and it would effect everyone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, from what they said, the ash cloud will reach  pretty far, in fact from the map it'll reach into middle Tennessee so Nashville will even get some of it.  The hard part will be the "nuclear winter" caused by all the ash that's put into the air.   It'll not be a fun time for most of the world unless you know how to survive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#6]
What do you think is going to happen when the handful of christians in america are gone?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What do you think is going to happen when the handful of christians in america are gone?

I've read that sentence about ten times now, and still have no idea what it means.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

??? elaborate???
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in the suburbs right now, and plan on it for the foreseeable future because of work and the convienence of having everything within 20 minutes driving distance.  One of my future goals is to purchase about 50-100 acres within 2 hours drive (Ozarks, MO area) and at least have a trailer or small cabin on the land that would serve as a weekend retreat for some peace and quiet from the city as well as a place to go need it be permanent.  All of my worldly possessions that are valuable to me could fit in the truck and the rest in the boat to haul down there.  From my childhood experiences growing up with my grandparents splitting time in Kansas City and Stockton, MO I would like to say I'm well equipted to get by,  moreso than most people I know from the city.  Most weekends in the summer are spent fishing and camping and being outdoors.  Lately I've compiled a mass of outdoor gear and odds and ends that would allow me, and my family, to get by unassisted for quite some time.  It just amazes me sometimes that everyone else I know up here is so underprepared for even the slightest emergency.  Even if the lights go out, some people don't have a working flashlight.  After a large scale disaster, natural or man made I don't think society in the city and surrounding suburbs could remain civil for even a week.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just in America?  I thought the rapture was a world wide event. Either way there are a lot of us that think it'll be "mid-tribulation" so you better stock up just in case the Mother Ship doesn't  beam you up on "your" time table.

And yes, I said it, Mother Ship and Beam Up, that's a very real possiblility pard, God could very well be an ET.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#11]
God cannot be an E.T. coming on some ship.  To say so would mean that God is limited. And if he's limited, then He's not God is He?  No offense...just trying to point something out.

chicken
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, volcano story becomes religious debate?
Understandable though.
Might wnat to get your spiritual affairs in order in such a situation.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#13]
hehe

yeah, you'd be surprised how many things have something to do with what you beleive about God.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
God cannot be an E.T. coming on some ship.  To say so would mean that God is limited. And if he's limited, then He's not God is He?  No offense...just trying to point something out.

chicken

Ever hear of a "Cargo Cult"?  Back in the early 30's the people of New Gunnie(sic) worshipped the white people that came to the island and thought they were gods.  5000 years ago an advanced civilization that would have visited our earth would have been looked at as gods to the people of the day.  Humans are a superstitious lot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#15]
no I haven't heard of that
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the basis of a Cargo Cult:
A particular category of social movements in Melanesia over
the course of the 20th century involving:
• colonial populations subject to European power and exposed to new
forms of wealth
• innovation in doctrine and ritual, usually initiated by a particular
prophet or charismatic leader
• syncretism between indigenous and colonial (Christian) religious
symbols and doctrines
• ‘millenarian’ doctrines:
§ promises of a Golden Age of prosperity and power in the
future, often conceptualized as the delivery and distribution
of a cargo of consumer goods
§ overturning of the colonial social order

In a nut shell the primitive people of the area saw the powerful whites as "gods" and worshipped them as such.  They'd build air strips in an effort to attract "gods airplanes" so that they'd land and give them all kind of riches. As these primitive groups learned that the "gods" were simply men the same as them they stopped worshipping them. Have you ever stopped to think why "God" hasn't shown himself in the last 2000 years.  Could it be that we've advanced to the point where we'd see him for what he really is, an extratarestial being, advanced for sure but a living being same as us. Open your mind and stop being so superstitious.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's some more info:
The term cargo cult is a reference to aboriginal religions that grew up in the South Pacific, especially New Guinea and Melanesian islands, initially in the mid 1800s, but most commonly in the years during and after World War II. There was no one Cargo Cult so this proper name is a misnomer—no one who participated in a cargo cult actually knew that they were doing so.

The vast amounts of war material that were air-dropped into these islands during the Pacific campaign against the Empire of Japan necessarily meant drastic changes to the lifestyle of these islanders as manufactured clothing, canned food, tents, weapons and other useful goods arrived in vast quantities to equip soldiers—and also the islanders who were their guides and hosts. When the war moved on, and ultimately when it ended, the airbases were abandoned and no new "cargo" was then being dropped.

In attempts to get cargo to fall by parachute or land in planes or ships again, islanders adopted a shallow version of the same practices they had seen the soldiers, sailors and airmen use. They carved headphones from wood, and wore them while sitting in control towers. They waved the landing signals while standing on the runways. They lit signal fires and torches to light up runways and lighthouses.

The cultists thought that the foreigners have some special connection to the ancestors, who were the only beings powerful enough to spill such riches. By mimicking the foreigners, they hoped to bypass them.

In a form of sympathetic magic, many built life-size mockups of airplanes out of straw, and created new military style landing strips, hoping to attract more airplanes. The cultural impact of these practices was not to bring about the return of the god-like airplanes that brought such marvelous cargo during the war, but to eradicate religious practices that had existed prior to the war.

When Westerners explained to them that the riches came from labor and that islanders would get them as well if they worked hard enough, the cultists couldn't help noticing that, in missions and camps, islanders were doing the hardest work but got the least of the goods.

A similar cult, the dance of the spirits, arose from contact between American Indians and the American civilization in late 19th century. The Paiute prophet Wovoka preached that by dancing in a certain fashion, the ancestors would come back on railways and a new earth would cover the white people.

Some Amazonian Indians have carved wood mockups of cassette players (gabarora from Portuguese gravadora) that they use to communicate with spirits.

Anthropologist Marvin Harris has linked the social mechanisms that produce cargo cults to those of Messianism.

Eventually, the Pacific cultists gave up. But, from time to time, the term "Cargo cult" is invoked as an English language idiom, to mean any group of people making obeisance to something that it is obvious they do not comprehend.

In this sense, they are perhaps best known because of a speech by physicist Richard Feynman at a Caltech commencement, which became a chapter in the book "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!". In the speech, Feynman pointed out that cargo cultists create all the appearance of an airport—right down to headsets with bamboo "antennas"—yet the airplanes don't come. Feynman argued that scientists often produce studies with all the trappings of real science, but which are nonetheless pseudoscience and unworthy of either respect or support.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read that sentence about ten times now, and still have no idea what it means.  

Me too.

Cargo Cult? Is that where those damn cargo pants came from?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know anything about fucking God Martians or Spaceships of Happiness.

What I DO know is that the day Mount Rainier (a dormant, not dead volcano, in case you were wondering) blows, Seattle is GONE off the map.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What I DO know is that the day Mount Rainier (a dormant, not dead volcano, in case you were wondering) blows, Seattle is GONE off the map.

When St. Helens blew there was an ashcloud overcast around the Northern hemisphere for the whole week and longer the closer you approached the blast site. Family took a trip from Missouri to Washington state that Summer and the residue was visibly progressing to deeper and deeper deposits the closer we got. It wasn't really noticeable until mid-Kansas, but I figure if Yellowstone would blow, there'd be a LOT more atmospheric debris and disturbance to rain down over North America.

Make sure you have a good sturdy shovel for when it happens.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When St. Helens blew there was an ashcloud overcast around the Northern hemisphere for the whole week and longer the closer you approached the blast site. Family took a trip from Missouri to Washington state that Summer and the residue was visibly progressing to deeper and deeper deposits the closer we got. It wasn't really noticeable until mid-Kansas, but I figure if Yellowstone would blow, there'd be a LOT more atmospheric debris and disturbance to rain down over North America.

Make sure you have a good sturdy shovel for when it happens.

I think estimates are that if Yellowstone blew, it would be approximately TEN THOUSAND times as violent as the St. Helens eruption.  THe real problem is not the debris, but the drastic global climate changes that would result from the sun being blotted out for years.

Some evidence suggests that mankind might almost have been wiped out last time a supervolcano blew (about 75,000 years ago).

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#22]
ok...I'll have to clarify...

What he's talking about is the rapture.  Christ is coming back after the tribulation(a 7-year period), and sometime(aren't told when) the people who have placed their trust is Christs death, burial, and ressurection(rising from the dead) for the forgiveness of their sins(Gods perfection = we can't get into heaven.  Jesus' death, burial, and ressurection = penalty paid and that we can get into heaven if we simply admit that we have failed to meet God's standard of perfection and that we are separated from Him and transferring your trust from yourself to Jesus Christ.) will be taken from the earth, which is called the rapture. (HOW we will be taken, we aren't told).  Some people believe the rapture will happen before the tribulation(I believe this), others beleive it will happen half way through, and others beleive the rapture will happen directly after it, right when Christ comes back.

What we are told is that God's coming back and showed to John what was going to happen in the tribulation in the book of Revelation(last book of the Bible).  It's hard for a normal joe shmoe to understand it fully without lots and lots of studying the Bible, but go ahead and read it if you want.  
I suggest reading the 4 gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John - witnesses of Christ on earth).  In particular I suggest John.  Two of the gospels were written to the Jews so they talk about some stuff that non-jews would go "what?" to. John I think was written to normal gentiles(that's you and me buddy) so it's easier to see the full picture of what's going on.

[Edit] another thing I didn't mention is that the Bible was written over 1900 years ago in Greek and latin(New Testament) and Hebrew and Aramaic(Old Testament), and what we have today is a translation and might sound a bit "weird". [/Edit]

chicken
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, apparently, that first example (yellowstone) has already happened. some 70++ thousand years ago. I've read some stuff as well as seeing one special one it, and it's very convincing, also explains alot of things. If I remember correctly, it bumped the human population down to only a few thousand.
If you really think about it, it also kind of explains why some regions had far better developed cultures than others (ie: mediterranean and middle east, eastern asia- versus -native americans).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ok...I'll have to clarify...

What he's talking about is the rapture.  Christ is coming back after the tribulation(a 7-year period), and sometime(aren't told when) the people who have placed their trust is Christs death, burial, and ressurection(rising from the dead) for the forgiveness of their sins(Gods perfection = we can't get into heaven.  Jesus' death, burial, and ressurection = penalty paid and that we can get into heaven if we simply admit that we have failed to meet God's standard of perfection and that we are separated from Him and transferring your trust from yourself to Jesus Christ.) will be taken from the earth, which is called the rapture. (HOW we will be taken, we aren't told).  Some people believe the rapture will happen before the tribulation(I believe this), others beleive it will happen half way through, and others beleive the rapture will happen directly after it, right when Christ comes back.

What we are told is that God's coming back and showed to John what was going to happen in the tribulation in the book of Revelation(last book of the Bible).  It's hard for a normal joe shmoe to understand it fully without lots and lots of studying the Bible, but go ahead and read it if you want.  
I suggest reading the 4 gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John - witnesses of Christ on earth).  In particular I suggest John.  Two of the gospels were written to the Jews so they talk about some stuff that non-jews would go "what?" to. John I think was written to normal gentiles(that's you and me buddy) so it's easier to see the full picture of what's going on.

[Edit] another thing I didn't mention is that the Bible was written over 1900 years ago in Greek and latin(New Testament) and Hebrew and Aramaic(Old Testament), and what we have today is a translation and might sound a bit "weird". [/Edit]

chicken

Of course you do realize that NO WERE in the Bible will you find the word "Rapture". I dare you to find it, because it's not there.  What you're talking about is detailed in 1st Corinthians Chapter 15 and talks about the resurection of the dead and the transformation of the living. This is when believers will be "born again" into the Kingdom of God and will receive a new, perfect body. Their reward will not be "heaven" but a new earth that's been purified with fire. Check out the last couple chapters of Revelations for that little tid bit of info.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't see the TV special you're talking about, but the possibility of a volcano erupting in Yellowstone isn't something to laugh about. In fact, if you do a search on it I think there's a few websites-including a Gov't. one-dedicated to it.

IIRC, the bed of Yellowstone Lake has risen 5-6ft in the last few years, and this type of thing is sometimes a precursor to volcanic eruptions.

OTOH, when I talk about it people give me that funny look and kinda move away a little bit.

Time will tell. I hope it ain't in MY time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Of course you do realize that NO WERE in the Bible will you find the word "Rapture". I dare you to find it, because it's not there. What you're talking about is detailed in 1st Corinthians Chapter 15 and talks about the resurection of the dead and the transformation of the living. This is when believers will be "born again" into the Kingdom of God and will receive a new, perfect body. Their reward will not be "heaven" but a new earth that's been purified with fire. Check out the last couple chapters of Revelations for that little tid bit of info.

nope, the word "rapture" isnt found in the bible. What I'm talking about by rapture is when, what you said, the ressuraction of the dead and transformation of the living happens(another part of the NT that talks about it is toward the end of 1 Thessalonians 4).  But thats all. the new earth and heaven isnt part of the rapture.  There are other things that happen between the rapture and other events in Revelation, but I'm not going into all of that.

I'm gonna try to not argu much on this because going into detail isn't good here.  The argument will never end

chicken
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#27]
There's only one answer.  We must drive our SUVs more, use deodorant with CFCs, and mow our lawn before 6:00.  We need to accelerate global warming before Yellowstone erupts and blocks the sunlight.

Pollute!  Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This is the basis of a Cargo Cult:
A particular category of social movements in Melanesia over
the course of the 20th century involving:
• colonial populations subject to European power and exposed to new
forms of wealth
• innovation in doctrine and ritual, usually initiated by a particular
prophet or charismatic leader
• syncretism between indigenous and colonial (Christian) religious
symbols and doctrines
• ‘millenarian’ doctrines:
§ promises of a Golden Age of prosperity and power in the
future, often conceptualized as the delivery and distribution
of a cargo of consumer goods
§ overturning of the colonial social order

In a nut shell the primitive people of the area saw the powerful whites as "gods" and worshipped them as such.  They'd build air strips in an effort to attract "gods airplanes" so that they'd land and give them all kind of riches. As these primitive groups learned that the "gods" were simply men the same as them they stopped worshipping them. Have you ever stopped to think why "God" hasn't shown himself in the last 2000 years.  

Yes I have.  When God came to the earth in the person of Jesus Christ, He changed EVERYTHING.  Before then, the Jews, because of the law, were basically suppose to offer sacrifices and obey the ten commandments.  When Jesus came, He fulfilled the law by being the sacrificial lamb of God.  He paid the penalty for everybodies sins by dying on the cross and rising from the dead, you only need toaccept that gift of forgiveness.  40 days after he rose from the dead, he ascended to heaven(NOTE: on a cloud, NOT a spaceship).  He is waiting for people to come to repentance(change of mind about Jesus). II Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."  Will everyone come to repentance? No.

Could it be that we've advanced to the point where we'd see him for what he really is, an extratarestial being, advanced for sure but a living being same as us. Open your mind and stop being so superstitious.

This a false analogy: comparing Christianity to a Cargo Cult is in no way real evidence against Christianity, and to say that God is an alien is utterly rediculous and is in no way supported by any evidence whatsoever.  Such a proposition simply is pure, and wild, speculation.

-chicken
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#29]
It's ok . You all can come live with me in my bunker I had built for the end of the world ala Y2K . I was dissapointed that I didn't get to use it ! But I knew it wouldn't be long before something else would come along. Hurray!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top