Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 11:28:39 AM EDT
A Howell woman who sued her husband over injuries she suffered in a 2006 traffic accident plans to appeal a jury verdict that awarded her $1.3 million, her attorneys say.

The Asbury Park Press reports that Keila Cengiz, 40, of Howell, was initially awarded $5.3 million on Dec. 13 for her pain and suffering stemming from a 2006 crash her husband caused, but had that the amount was reduced because the jury found her to be 80 percent responsible for her own injuries because she was not wear a seatbelt.

On Dec. 9, 2006, Cengiz was a passenger in her husband’s sport-utility vehicle when Yucel Cengiz lost control and crashed into a car driven by a North Carolina man, before rolling over multiple times, the Asbury Park Press reports.

One of Cengiz’s attorneys, James Maggs, of the Brielle law firm Maggs and McDermott, told the Asbury Park Press that her left leg was ejected through the vehicle’s sunroof and crushed between the vehicle’s roof and the road.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2012/12/nj_woman_sues_husband_over_crash_and_wins_13_million_but_wants_more.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Wat.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
lets see how she likes ZERO...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#2]
As a result, she sued her husband – to whom she is still married – so she could collect from his insurance company.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#3]
She doesn't sound bitter at all.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As a result, she sued her husband – to whom she is still married – so she could collect from his insurance company.

Yeah, it looks to me that they had piss poor car insurance.  Maybe they are trying to recoup from some other insurance source?  Or this is some kind of scam.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it looks to me that they had piss poor car insurance.  Maybe they are trying to recoup from some other insurance source?  Or this is some kind of scam.

Its different everywhere. In Florida I don't think this situation is possible, but I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#7]

On Dec. 9, 2006, Cengiz was a passenger in her husband’s sport-utility vehicle when Yucel Cengiz lost control and deliberately crashed into a car driven by a North Carolina man, because she was nagging him into suicide, before rolling over multiple times, the Asbury Park Press reports.

Fixed it to portray more plausible scenario.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Standard insurance lawsuit.  Nothing remarkable.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I knew this was what it was about before I even clicked. This is actually pretty common. Maybe not husband and wife, but I have friends who have sued friends...and remained friends.  I don't allow them over to my house, though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's typical.  SOP is "sue everyone even remotely connected with the injury."  What confuses me is that I didn't think one was allowed to sue ones own spouse if you were still spouses.  It's a massive conflict of interest - the husband has zero incentive to defend against the suit because is she wind, he wins.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like she thought she should have hit the "pain and suffering" jackpot and the insurance company only gave her actual damages.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]
She doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Hey, somebody had to say it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The Justice system is totally gone a long time ago.

The legal system is totally broken, how the fuck can she sue her husband and get anything, unless he crashed it on purpose and was trying to hur/kill her.

This is a shit happens catagory

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is just wrong.

Only one was crushed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a scam/insurance fraud to me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yea, pretty common way to get the insurance company to cover injuries and such
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Can I be on that next jury?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm assuming they are separated or divorced
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Texas stopped this years ago.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is just wrong.

Only one was crushed.

She must be hopping mad she only got that amount of money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A Howell woman who sued her husband over injuries she suffered in a 2006 traffic accident plans to appeal a jury verdict that awarded her $1.3 million, her attorneys say.

The Asbury Park Press reports that Keila Cengiz, 40, of Howell, was initially awarded $5.3 million on Dec. 13 for her pain and suffering stemming from a 2006 crash her husband caused, but had that the amount was reduced because the jury found her to be 80 percent responsible for her own injuries because she was not wear a seatbelt.

On Dec. 9, 2006, Cengiz was a passenger in her husband’s sport-utility vehicle when Yucel Cengiz lost control and crashed into a car driven by a North Carolina man, before rolling over multiple times, the Asbury Park Press reports.

One of Cengiz’s attorneys, James Maggs, of the Brielle law firm Maggs and McDermott, told the Asbury Park Press that her left leg was ejected through the vehicle’s sunroof and crushed between the vehicle’s roof and the road.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2012/12/nj_woman_sues_husband_over_crash_and_wins_13_million_but_wants_more.html#incart_m-rpt-1

TWat.

FIFY  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is just wrong.
Only one was crushed.

She must be hopping mad she only got that amount of money.

that is not a pedestrian cash award. something is afoot with circumstances of this lawsuit; there must be some ankle we are just not seeing.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Stupidbitchasaurus.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, pretty common way to get the insurance company to cover injuries and such

Yeah, I fail to see any issue.

Normally when you get in a serious car accident you sue the responsible party for any damages.  In this case the responsible party is her husband, but the insurance company would be paying.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Not wearing a seatbelt and wins a million. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, I bet the evening dinner has been pretty awkward lately.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]
she was not wear a seatbelt, 'All your are not wear a seatbelt belong to us.'
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The legal system is totally broken, how the fuck can she sue her husband and get anything, unless he crashed it on purpose and was trying to hur/kill her.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not if they got to a jury.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's typical.  SOP is "sue everyone even remotely connected with the injury."  What confuses me is that I didn't think one was allowed to sue ones own spouse if you were still spouses.  It's a massive conflict of interest - the husband has zero incentive to defend against the suit because is she wind, he wins.

The husband has a duty to assist in the defense of the lawsuit or the insurance company will not cover the loss.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you want coverage you have to sue.  Wife and I were in a wreck.  No serious injuries.  Insurance said if we needed any medical coverage she would have to sue me for coverage.   Itsdone internally, but if your getting paid and the insurance company is making you sue your own spouse, then they kinda get what they deserve.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#33]
no surprise.  They are probably gypsies...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#34]
What does it cost to insure a car in NJ these days...$10K a year?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What does it cost to insure a car in NJ these days...$10K a year?

I pay 900 a year.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't always scam or defraud insurance companies, but when I do, I stick my leg out the window during a multi-vehicle rollover accident.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:19:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't always scam or defraud insurance companies, but when I do, I stick my leg out the window during a multi-vehicle rollover accident.

I don't always scam or defraud insurance companies, but when I do, I jump on a recently crashed bus and start yelling "MY NECK!!! MY BACK!!! I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!!"
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're a lawyer and this is somehow news to you?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wow

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a lawyer and this is somehow news to you?

Not one bit. I was illuminating why it doesn't surprise me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top