Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/3/2002 10:15:13 AM EST
Is it really possible to own a rifle within the confines of NYC? Brief background - I'm a gun aficionado(it sounds better than the concise "gun nut") who grew up in this beautiful yet disgusting city. Gun ownership has been verboten here, so I wanted to get as far away as possible. Well, as luck has it, April comes and the best school I get accepted to...is Columbia!(I applied purely for financial and admissions considerations - I had some pull at this place) So I'm stuck here for four years - good school, good education, horrible gun laws. Cripes! Anyway, I've been going over the gun control provisions of the NYC administrative code - putting this law library to good use. Online, it's summarized [url=http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=56]here[/url] and part is available [url=http://www.nysrpa.org/nyc-admincode.pdf]here[/url] Now, it's common knowledge that it's impossible to get a carry license unless you have good connections or somebody is stalking you and sending you piles of death threats(and even then I suspect it's a crapshoot). This is because the applicant must show "proper cause" for the issuance of the license. Fine, I'm not even 21, and I hope to move out close to my 21st birthday, so I don't really give a hoot about the handgun provisions. But the rifle permit does not require such "probable cause"!!! Section 10-303
a. No person shall be denied a permit to purchase and possess a rifle or shotgun unless the applicant: (1) under the age of eighteen; or (2) is not of good moral character; or (3) has not been convicted anywhere of a felony or of a serious effense; or (4) has not stated whether he or she has ever suffered any mental illness or been confined to any hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness; or (5) is not now free from any mental disorders, defects or diseases that would impair the ability; or (6) Unless good cause exists for the denial of the permit.
View Quote
#6 has me worried. This is really the part I question. Is this clause abused by the PD to deny any and all requests, or is it really possible to own a rifle? I know there's a few NYPD on this board. Waverunner, can you guys help me out here? Thanks in advance, it's really appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:47:14 AM EST
You should not have any problem with obtaining thr required shotgun/rifle licenses. Columbia is a great school and they have a rifle team as well. Under NYS law you may also shoot a pistol at a range under the supervision of an instructor. You might have to shoot at a range in Westchester or Long Island though. I'm sure the rifle team instructors have all the information you'll need to get started. [url]http://www.columbia.edu/cu/rifle/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:08:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By rkbar15: You should not have any problem with obtaining thr required shotgun/rifle licenses. Columbia is a great school and they have a rifle team as well. Under NYS law you may also shoot a pistol at a range under the supervision of an instructor. You might have to shoot at a range in Westchester or Long Island though. I'm sure the rifle team instructors have all the information you'll need to get started. [url]http://www.columbia.edu/cu/rifle/[/url]
View Quote
[:O][:D][^] Whoa. I did not know that. Gotta make a beeline for them come september. Much obliged, sir. These 4 years will be far better than I expected. HoooooooRAH!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:21:02 AM EST
Drop the "sir"! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 1:03:15 PM EST
By the way, would you happen to know anybody currently on the team or affiliated with it? Their site is 7 years old and both individuals mentioned have since moved on - I'm beginning to fear that they may now be defunct - which would explain why I never saw a rifle team listed anywhere in student activities or the athletic website.
Top Top