Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 9:54:27 AM EDT
I did not want to high-jack someone else's post. So I figured I better start my own and ask this dumb a$$ question. I frequently have to goto the Commie state. And yes I always take a peace keeper. Usually my 1911 45acp, EOtech NV-red dot, & PVS7, for if SHTF. Is this still legal? I heard Kali has a ban on IR NV scopes. So can some one tell me what the current law is and what it covers? Thank you....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#1]
caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/dwc.htm

Sniperscopes

468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My goodness - I didn't realize the PRK was THAT F'ed up!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised Feinstein hasn't gotten them banned on the Fed.gov level.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"sniperscopes" are illegal - which are defined as a night vision device with IR illuminator attached to a weapon.

The goggles are perfectly legal. But not if attached to a weapon.

A night vision rifle scope is legal if attached to the scope with the IR illuminator disabled. I have just lifted one of the leads from the LED on my NVRS and replaced it with the high power Surefire IR flashlight.

IR illuminators are legal. Using the weapon with a NVRS and IR illuminator is legal as long as the illuminator is not attached to the weapon.

Since your goggles are not attached to the weapon they are perfectly legal in my humble opinion.

Thank you. Seems you are knowledgeable. So I take it, I'm OK having an NV Eotech & PVS7's. What about IR laser attached to the weapon, in your state of CA?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top