Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 6:00:41 PM EDT
Thank you for your e-mail concerning the re-authorization of the Clinton gun ban. NRA is doing everything possible to ensure that the ban expires on September 13, 2004 as Congress originally intended.

We oppose any and all versions of re-authorization with the same tenacity with which we fought when the legislation squeaked through Congress in 1994. We oppose re-authorization as strongly as we fought for repeal of the ban by the U.S. House of Representatives in 1996.

At present two bill have been introduced in Congress which seek to vastly expand the gun ban-H.R. 2038 and S. 1034.

H.R. 2038, introduced by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), does not just "reenact" or "re-authorize" the 1994 Clinton ban. It bans millions more guns and begins backdoor registration of guns.

In the Senate, the Clinton gun ban’s authors, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), introduced S. 1034. The bill is less extreme than McCarthy’s, which they hope will give it a greater chance of passage. Like H.R. 2038, S. 1034 does not merely "re-authorize" or "extend" the Clinton gun ban, it: permanently bans millions of guns and ammunition magazines, including magazines used in the most popular target shooting rifles and conventional handguns; expands the Clinton gun ban by prohibiting the importation of "large-capacity" magazines; and places legitimate importers at increased risk of unfair prosecution for a 10-year felony offense.

I encourage you to contact your U.S. Representative in opposition to H.R. 2038 and your U.S. Senators in opposition to S. 1034, as well noting your opposition to the re-authorization of the current ban. Also, when speaking with your U.S. Senators, please urge them to support S. 659, legislation that will provide protection to the firearm and ammunition industry against reckless lawsuits seeking to bankrupt them. You can call your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121, and your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121.

For additional contact information for your lawmakers (including their district offices) use the "Write Your Representatives" tool at www.NRAILA.org. We have included talking points on both of these bill to assist you in drafting your letter. You may also use the "Write Your Editor" tool to respond to stories in the media on these issues. For additional details on these bills, or to sign up to receive our free Grassroots Alert, please visit www.NRAILA.org or call the ILA Grassroots Division at (800) 392-8683.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact our offices on this most important issue.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Thank you for your e-mail concerning the re-authorization of the Clinton gun ban. NRA is doing everything possible to ensure that the ban expires on September 13, 2004 as Congress originally intended.

We oppose any and all versions of re-authorization with the same tenacity with which we fought when the legislation squeaked through Congress in 1994. We oppose re-authorization as strongly as we fought for repeal of the ban by the U.S. House of Representatives in 1996.

At present two bill have been introduced in Congress which seek to vastly expand the gun ban-H.R. 2038 and S. 1034.

H.R. 2038, introduced by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), does not just "reenact" or "re-authorize" the 1994 Clinton ban. It bans millions more guns and begins backdoor registration of guns.

In the Senate, the Clinton gun ban’s authors, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), introduced S. 1034. The bill is less extreme than McCarthy’s, which they hope will give it a greater chance of passage. Like H.R. 2038, S. 1034 does not merely "re-authorize" or "extend" the Clinton gun ban, it: permanently bans millions of guns and ammunition magazines, including magazines used in the most popular target shooting rifles and conventional handguns; expands the Clinton gun ban by prohibiting the importation of "large-capacity" magazines; and places legitimate importers at increased risk of unfair prosecution for a 10-year felony offense.

I encourage you to contact your U.S. Representative in opposition to H.R. 2038 and your U.S. Senators in opposition to S. 1034, as well noting your opposition to the re-authorization of the current ban. Also, when speaking with your U.S. Senators, please urge them to support S. 659, legislation that will provide protection to the firearm and ammunition industry against reckless lawsuits seeking to bankrupt them. You can call your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121, and your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121.

For additional contact information for your lawmakers (including their district offices) use the "Write Your Representatives" tool at www.NRAILA.org. We have included talking points on both of these bill to assist you in drafting your letter. You may also use the "Write Your Editor" tool to respond to stories in the media on these issues. For additional details on these bills, or to sign up to receive our free Grassroots Alert, please visit www.NRAILA.org or call the ILA Grassroots Division at (800) 392-8683.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact our offices on this most important issue.

blah, blah, blah

That is why they supported gw bush for president in 2000, their choice who said that he would sign a new AWB if it were sent up to him.

Yeah, the conservative bushie..........
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Do any of you really think for a miniute that the NRA did anything to try and stop the AWB of'94.  They are the ones who have said that we don't need any more laws just enforce the ones that are on the books now.  If they were really trying to help gun owners shouldn't they have said that we don't need any gun laws even the ones that are on the books now?  If one of the new bans pass I just want to know, will this finally push "us" over the line to the point of doing something, and I'm not talking about writting a letter.  We keep letting them take our guns until we'll have nothing left to fight with but rocks then it'll be too late.  Just wondering what it's going to take to move us to action to take OUR country back from all these damn politicians.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just joined this year.

I was pretty young in 94’ and all I remember about the ban at that time was seeing all of these cool guns in the newspaper and thinking that I wanted to buy them when I grew up. Since then, I have become very familiar with the AW Ban and reached voting age.

I had been thinking about joining the NRA for a while and finally decided to do it as the sunset got closer. Ironically, watching “Bowling for Columbine,” and my disgust after seeing it, was what finally prompted me to join.

Since then, I have gotten mail and seen much coverage about the AW Ban on the NRA website. I can’t really speak for their past efforts, but right now the NRA is definitely working to make the ban expire. With 4 million members, they can really make a difference in these things. I have also, as the NRA suggested, written my rep’s about this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top