Documents and correspondence obtained by the CBC show the NRA has
provided logistical and tactical support to organizations such as the
Canadian Institute for Legislative Action (CILA), established in 1998 to
lobby Ottawa to shut down the registry.

The NRA provides the Canadian gun lobby group with "tremendous
amounts of logistical support," and while the NRA's constitution
prevents them from providing money, "they freely give us anything else,"
Tony Bernardo, an Ontario gun advocate and CILA's executive director,
said in Canadian Firearms Digest in July 2001.

In 2000, the NRA paid $100,000 for an infomercial about what it
called "the Canadian situation" that aired on The National Network in
the U.S., according to Bernardo, who appeared in the video.

It cautioned gun owners the registry was a government plot to find
out how many guns there were in order to seize them and leave citizens
helpless to defend themselves.

Bernardo, a frequent guest on NRA chat shows updating U.S. gun owners
on the fight to kill the Canadian registry, said the NRA was
instrumental in helping him set up his Canadian lobby group, CILA, the
lobbying arm of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA), and a
mirror group of the Institute for Legislative Action, the NRA's lobbying
arm.

Michael Bryant, formerly Ontario's attorney general, said the NRA has been agitating in Canadian political backrooms for years.

"I got elected in 1999 and I became aware soon after of the NRA's
involvement in the debate — not in a huge way, but in a significant
way," he said.

Canadians need to know the role the NRA has played in the gun registry debate, Bryant said.

"For a lot of people in Canada, if they knew that the NRA was part of
the effort to get rid of the gun registry, they would think more about
their views," he said.

"And they would think, 'well, wait a minute, I thought this was
about, you know, wasting taxpayer dollars. The NRA's involved? Really?
That makes me very uncomfortable … '"

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sadly, for all the time I spend in Canada (Outside of Toronto), most Canadians believe the NRA, or any pro-firearm supporters from the states are some cop-killing, criminal friendly, give-everyone-an-automatic-weapon type of lobbying group.

Then again, I've never thought about needing a gun outside an SMLE or shotgun in the areas of Canada I visit.

You screw up there, and the locals burn your house down
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That's SOP for the NRA. They not only support the 2nd Amendment, they're hell-bent on exporting it!

Several years ago, Brazil announced plans to hold a national referendum on enacting a near-total gun ban. When the plans were announced, public support for the ban far outnumbered opposition to it. However, by the time the referendum was actually held, public support for it had withered, and it failed by a wide margin.

What happened? Opponents of the ban traveled to NRA headquarters, and received advice on how to defeat it.

Tactics that are successful in defeating U.S. gun bans are often equally effective in defeating gun bans abroad.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
yep, tony bernardo is on cam&company (NRAnews) fairly often to give updates - NRA has a good relationship w/ them!  

and SAF is building a pro-gun alliance outside the U.S., IAPCAR. read about it here: http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=315

so, yes the evil gun lobby is exporting the second amendment!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The anti gunners want to spread their ideology everywhere, but get upset when we do the same.  Typical liberal bullshit.  I say good for the NRA and the SAF, let's hit back everywhere and in every way we can.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The anti gunners want to spread their ideology everywhere, but get upset when we do the same.  Typical liberal bullshit.  I say good for the NRA and the SAF, let's hit back everywhere and in every way we can.

NRA can spend it's member dollars wherever. SAF, on the other hand, needs to spend it in the U.S., where it matters to me. If I had seen this prior to becoming a life member, I would have spent the money elsewhere. The rest of the world can fix their own problems on their own dime.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Michael Bryant, formerly Ontario's attorney general, said the NRA has been agitating in Canadian political backrooms for years.

"I got elected in 1999 and I became aware soon after of the NRA's involvement in the debate — not in a huge way, but in a significant way," he said.

Canadians need to know the role the NRA has played in the gun registry debate, Bryant said.

"For a lot of people in Canada, if they knew that the NRA was part of the effort to get rid of the gun registry, they would think more about their views," he said.

"And they would think, 'well, wait a minute, I thought this was about, you know, wasting taxpayer dollars. The NRA's involved? Really? That makes me very uncomfortable … '"

That's Scott, he's a dick!

What I really mean is it seems some Canadians get some little man syndrome and are suspicious of anything American.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
At least they are trying to help out Canadians (and their damn bags of milk). Informing the populace that they need guns is the first step.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sadly, for all the time I spend in Canada (Outside of Toronto), most Canadians believe the NRA, or any pro-firearm supporters from the states are some cop-killing, criminal friendly, give-everyone-an-automatic-weapon type of lobbying group.

Then again, I've never thought about needing a gun outside an SMLE or shotgun in the areas of Canada I visit.

You screw up there, and the locals burn your house down

Outside of Ontario, I have found the opposite to be true.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NRA can spend it's member dollars wherever. SAF, on the other hand, needs to spend it in the U.S., where it matters to me. If I had seen this prior to becoming a life member, I would have spent the money elsewhere. The rest of the world can fix their own problems on their own dime.

There isn't any "spending" involved. Foreigners come to the U.S. to get advice on how to defeat anti-gun campaigns - and groups like the NRA gladly provide it. As an NRA member, it doesn't cost you a penny.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't any "spending" involved. Foreigners come to the U.S. to get advice on how to defeat anti-gun campaigns - and groups like the NRA gladly provide it. As an NRA member, it doesn't cost you a penny.

I'm not an NRA member, thus I don't care how the NRA spends its member's money. I am a member of SAF, and if Gottleib chooses to spend member dollars on canadian/german/bumfuckwhereverthatisn'ttheU.S. laws then SAF will see no more money from me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#11]
don't underestimate the importance of spreading the influence - it's a tactic to counter the international warfare brought on by the socialsts and anti-gun, anti-self defense turds, like the UN/IANSA.  building a network of allies is paramount to leveling out international pressures to disarmament - which can actually influence adversarial administrations (UN small arms treaty, CIFTA treaty, the pres of mexico calling for AWB in us in our capitol) just like we have right now...  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
don't underestimate the importance of spreading the influence - it's a tactic to counter the international warfare brought on by the socialsts and anti-gun, anti-self defense turds, like the UN/IANSA.  building a network of allies is paramount to leveling out international pressures to disarmament - which can actually influence adversarial administrations (UN small arms treaty, CIFTA treaty, the pres of mexico calling for AWB in us in our capitol) just like we have right now...  

So I should be on the hook financially for fixing the laws of another country? What you're selling...I ain't buying. They can come here and get all the advice they want, but they need to pay for fixing their own stupidity.

ETA: Mexico has been a shithole since it became an "independent" nation. Until the grand shithead takes responsibility for the problems in his own country, he's not fit to stand in ours.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

At least they are trying to help out Canadians (and their damn bags of milk). Informing the populace that they need guns is the first step.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I dunno if I need guns but I know I need MOAR guns

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I should be on the hook financially for fixing the laws of another country? What you're selling...I ain't buying. They can come here and get all the advice they want, but they need to pay for fixing their own stupidity.

ETA: Mexico has been a shithole since it became an "independent" nation. Until the grand shithead takes responsibility for the problems in his own country, he's not fit to stand in ours.
What makes you think Canadians aren't paying members of the NRA? How do you know the NRA's costs weren't covered by our local pro gun groups?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1.

Encouraging civilian gun ownership in other countries is a good thing - Not only does it foster a sense of personal liberty and self-reliance, but it also helps de-marginalize America as a peculiar nation of  "gun nuts".

The rest of the world needs to become comfortable with the idea of its citizens owning firearms.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#16]
keep in mind that MANY foreigners are NRA members....

just sayin'.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is logic to taking the fight global, if the global antis are all busy fighting the NRA (Or it's proxies) on there own soil, then they will have less ability to try to take our rights away here (Donations to anti gun groups, and lobbying for the un global gun ban.).  It's strategy, the NRA knows that it has the resources to fight globally, but the antis do not, so by making them use up there resources in there own country's they can't use them on us.  It's the same thing Reagan did with the Soviets, he knew we could afford the arms race, and the Soviets couldn't, and that they could only keep up the status qua, so he simply started expanding the Military, which forced the Soviets to expand theres to keep up, but they couldn't afford it so they collapsed.  Now the NRA is doing it with the antis.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, it costs the NRA nothing, but forces the global antis to use resources.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what the NRA is doing, didn't you read the article?, there not spending any money, there just helping however they can.  I.E. some foreign pro gunner comes in to, or calls NRA headquarters , and says "this is what the ants are doing in my country, now how do I stop them?", and the NRA says "OK, here's what you do."
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes you think Canadians aren't paying members of the NRA? How do you know the NRA's costs weren't covered by our local pro gun groups?

Actually it is possible for foreigners to join the NRA, and there are even special instructions on the application for Canadians, and other people abroad regarding the magazine subscription (It costs extra) the last I checked.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it is possible for foreigners to join the NRA, and there are even special instructions on the application for Canadians, and other people abroad regarding the magazine subscription (It costs extra) the last I checked.
I know that, that,s my point.  Plenty of Canadians are NRA members

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#22]
This story is BLOWING UP the news headlines here today.  It was the 2nd national news story they covered today.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what the NRA is doing, didn't you read the article?, there not spending any money, there just helping however they can.  I.E. some foreign pro gunner comes in to, or calls NRA headquarters , and says "this is what the ants are doing in my country, now how do I stop them?", and the NRA says "OK, here's what you do."

Actually, I initially misread it as saying the NRA spent 100k on an ad in bagged milk land. After re-reading, I saw the ad was run in the U.S.. Regardless, I don't care how the NRA spends member dollars unless it affects me negatively, since I'm not paying for it.

The SAF, otoh, I am a member of––and Gottlieb flew outside the U.S. per the linked press release in the fourth post. If he did it on his own dime, or that of whatever the organization is, I don't care. If he flew on SAF member donations, I do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I for one welcome our new NRA overlords.

The anti gun lobby here is extremely well funded by our own tax dollars. We need to push back and any help from the NRA is greatly appreciated. Canada is a case study on how the antis use the divide and conquer scheme to defeat us. A shit canning of the gun registry would be a huge blow world wide against the antis. This is why they are pulling out all the stops as the decision day approaches.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The rest of the world can fix their own problems on their own dime.

We're already doing so, big boy.

And have ALWAYS done, even whitout a 2A backing us like you have.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I wonder how much money the NRA draws in from the Canadians....

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#27]
so they ignore the pleas of members in maryland and use american money in canda

yeah fuck them!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

yeah fuck them!

reading. it is important.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah fuck them!

I read it, time and logistics are costly, they are funded by American shooters.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah fuck them!

I read it, time and logistics are costly, they are funded by American shooters.

Let me put it in perspective for you:

Firearms companies put effort and money in building fine toys that many people would love to own.

Governments on the other hand, put silly or fascist laws denying the citizens legal possession of such items.

The NRA is not only funded by shooters. It may even get funds from mfg. companies.

And if the market broadens, it's good for everybody.

it may even good for you.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

"I got elected in 1999 and I became aware soon after of the NRA's involvement in the debate — not in a huge way, but in a significant way," he said.

"For a lot of people in Canada, if they knew that the NRA was part of the effort to get rid of the gun registry, they would think more about their views," he said.

"And they would think, 'well, wait a minute, I thought this was about, you know, wasting taxpayer dollars. The NRA's involved? Really? That makes me very uncomfortable … '"

That's Scott, he's a dick!
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/southpark/images/8/87/Scottdick.png

What I really mean is it seems some Canadians get some little man syndrome and are suspicious of anything American.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top