Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 9:08:04 AM EDT
Heading down to VA to visit the folks...is it worth the 1 1/2 hour trip ???also do they hound you for money every 2 seconds like through the mail and e-mail...Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The museum is a must see.  I took my dad there when he came down to visit.  They don't hound you at all.  You are left to wander and drool throughout the museum.  The have a nice little gift shop there with some good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#2]
great, thank's
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah.  Good place to visit.

BTW - they have a shooting range in the basement.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#5]
It's outstanding. It was the centerpiece of a road trip I took with the boys a couple of summers ago. Well worth seeing. There is stuff in there you can't even imagine. Look for the revolver-mounted billy club "bayonet." A very high-quality museum apart from the subject matter. Also, the gift shop is great. They don't hound you for money, but they have lots of great stuff in the shop: books you won't find anywhere else, nifty NRA  "accessories,"  swords, stuff on sale, et c.  Definitely worth the trip.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

also do they hound you for money every 2 seconds like through the mail and e-mail...Thanks

No, they don't ask for money once.  THere's a couple boxes you can contribute to, if you like.

Don't worry, you'll spend some bucks in the store.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Great museum! Free too! They have a donation box but they also have some free stuff too like magazines. Give yourself lots of time if you want to really look at some of the guns.
I spent a few bucks in the store too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope to be taking a trip there soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Funny you should ask, I was just there a week ago!  To use the range in the basement you need to take a little firearms safety test.  The range is crowded on weekends.  The museum is not huge but it is really, really well done.  They civer the whole history of American firearms.  Right now they have great Thompson stuff in the Ruger Room.  The museum is one of the better museums I have ever seen--a huge amount of stuff well-labelled in a small but very comfortable space.  For me it is between 45 mins. and an hour to drive there in hairy DC traffic.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]

The have a nice little gift shop there with some good stuff.

So, if I come to visit, I should bring a signed FFL?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Worth the trip for sure, GO.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Oh yeah.  Good place to visit.

BTW - they have a shooting range in the basement.

The shooting range is in the back of the building below the parking lot (ground parking). You got to be a NRA member to shoot there and plus you have to pass that written test too.

$15.00 for an hour

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to quibble, but I don’t believe you actually have to pass the written test for the range.  My recollection is that they just explain everything you answered incorrectly.

Anyway, if you’re interested in also visiting the range, note that it has rather screwy hours.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Well if you want to see just about every gun ever made its worth it.

BRONZ
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Just to repeat what everyone else has stated - the NRA Museum is fantastic!  I live about 20 minutes away from the museum and visit it for an hour or two every couple of months.  I don't think there have been many times when i walked out of there without at least getting a book from the gift shop.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I just happened by the Museum when I was in the DC area and got to spend 15 minutes in there before it closed

Had to catch a plane later

But what I saw as I ran through the place looked great

My advice spend more than 15 minutes it will be worth it

BTW I drive more than 1-1/2 hours per day to go to work so it is worth it do drive there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top