Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 3:28:47 PM EDT
What would be the state of the RKBA in the US today if the NRA did not exist? How mant states would have shall-issue? Would we be better off, or worse off than we are now?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Now, now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
We would definitely be worse off without the NRA.  I am a paying member, but I do feel that they are not doing enough to restore our gun rights.

I will be 100% satisfied with the NRA when I am able to own an M16 for under $2,000.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Now, now.

You're right. I'm sorry. I did that "fact" thing again, didn't I? I'll be good, I promise.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We would definitely be worse off without the NRA.  I am a paying member, but I do feel that they are not doing enough to restore our gun rights.

I will be 100% satisfied with the NRA when I am able to own an M16 for under $2,000.

Why the arbitrary amount?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
There would be no ARFCOM because civilians would not be allowed to own ARs.  CCWs would not exist because handguns would be banned.  The NRA is far from perfect, but without them, the liberals would have had every gun in the U.S. melted down, years ago.

ETA:  next post is 556
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now, now.

You're right. I'm sorry. I did that "fact" thing again, didn't I? I'll be good, I promise.

No Team Yugo privledges for a month. Give the keys back to Aimless.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

There's your next nightmare. We get in a position to repeal the '86 MGB (it could be done without congressional involvement), and +90% of present NFA owners start giving Schumer & co. money to stop it; they start buying TV & radio ads about "blood in the streets."  Bet me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, they have done good work.  I believe we would have gun registration and confiscation al la Great Britain without them.  

We need them.  

But, they are also deserving of fair criticism.  

They are not aggressive enough.  They make too many concessions for political expediency.  They are too measured.  They waste too much money.  They are a bureacracy and are a little too disconnected from the membership.  

For those who demand more of an organization before they will contribute, I don't fault them.  For those, groups like the GOA are a good fit.  Every person has their own fitness standard.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now, now.

No Team Yugo privledges for a month. Give the keys back to Aimless.

He must have left the Yugo in C'ville when he visited here, cause he was in a Honda IIRC.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's your next nightmare. We get in a position to repeal the '86 MGB (it could be done without congressional involvement), and +90% of present NFA owners start giving Schumer & co. money to stop it; they start buying TV & radio ads about "blood in the streets."  Bet me.

that's exactly what would happen, I've seen enough class III snobs to know it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why the arbitrary amount?

Seems like a fair price as opposed to the inflated prices caused by the 86 ban.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
In this scenario where there is no NRA, would the members be in JPFO instead or just not in any pro-gun org?
Because JPFO is no compromise and we might be better off if there was no luke-warm RKBA org and the people were in JPFO instead.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, you can't argue with the point that we would have lost our toys years ago without the NRA. Therefore, I'll keep my membership.
That being said, I do think they could be doing better. Not to slight the hunters or other groups, but in these times the NRA needs to concentrate on the RKBA, not other "social" programs. I wouldn't get all the "send $$$ now" stuff in the mail if they're priorities were straight. I even called them asking to be put on a reduced mailing status. That would even save $$$ in postage. Although such a status DOES exist, I still get as much crap as ever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, you can't argue with the point that we would have lost our toys years ago without the NRA. Therefore, I'll keep my membership.
That being said, I do think they could be doing better. Not to slight the hunters or other groups, but in these times the NRA needs to concentrate on the RKBA, not other "social" programs. I wouldn't get all the "send $$$ now" stuff in the mail if they're priorities were straight. I even called them asking to be put on a reduced mailing status. That would even save $$$ in postage. Although such a status DOES exist, I still get as much crap as ever.

I'll try to find the number again, but I assure you, there is a "no junk mail" program, and it works. I get nothing but "contact your congresscritter/legislator" mail & calls. Nothing else!

Also, in the last couple of years they have gotten serious about teaching the hunters that we must hang together, or assuredly hang separately. Almost every issue of American Hunter and American Rifleman has an article either pulled straight from First Freedom, or a serious piece explaining that after "our" EBRs are gone the next target is the "man killing sniper rifle" Fudd uses to hunt elk.

Whether it is laudable ideology or just economic self-preservation, the NRA has recognized that all gun guys must stand together, whether they are Asscrack Militiamen or semi-annual Sporting Clays shooters, and they are educating the non-political, non-ideological shooters & collectors to that fact.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#15]
We would be worse off with no NRA, but much better off with a more agressive NRA. You can support someone or something without blindly supporting every action they make you know.

It's new to some her but NRA and GWB occassionally make mistakes. Very big mistakes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]
What ifs are about guessing. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I finally got an email from them tonight about it.  Typical  blah blah bullshit.  I wasn't to impressed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In this scenario where there is no NRA, would the members be in JPFO instead or just not in any pro-gun org?
Because JPFO is no compromise and we might be better off if there was no luke-warm RKBA org and the people were in JPFO instead.

Hey as much as I would love to see the Pink Pistol membership grow with all you people leaving the "luke-warm NRA"......WE ALL WOULD BE SCREWED WITHOUT THE NRA!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We would be worse off with no NRA, but much better off with a more agressive NRA. You can support someone or something without blindly supporting every action they make you know.

No, they don't know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I will never understand the apathetic "I will give money to them when they do [XXXXXX]" crowd.

How about joining and THEN trying to make a change or a difference?

I think too many are simply too damned cheap to ante up the $35 it costs to join and make up excuses to avoid paying.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
It's worth $35 a year to me just to know that the BGs will be looking at Fairfax, Virginia when the first counterattack is launched.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#24]

How mant states would have shall-issue?

SC doesn't have one.  If the NRA hadn't campaigned so hard against it, we might have had one.  The NRA did a lot in their fight against the local gun rights group that worked to get our current concealed carry law passed.  If it wasn't for the NRA, we would have had a much better set of CCW laws.z
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Listen, I just paid my $24.00 to become a bronze team member here and I am just waiting for it to become active. BTW, how long should it take, a day or two? Anyway, back to the subject. Next week I'm going to go ahead and give the NRA $35.00 and become a member. Satisfied?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#26]
If every gun owner belonged to the NRA there would be no question about anti-gun laws, they simply would not be introduced. I don't like everything they do but they're the big kid on the block as far as pro-gun organizations go. If you want the NRA changed, join and elect officers that will enact changes and be more aggressive. If you won't pony up and join, STFU.

My 2 cents.

NRA life member.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What would be the state of the RKBA in the US today if the NRA did not exist? How mant states would have shall-issue? Would we be better off, or worse off than we are now?

Lets not cloud this issue with facts

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Listen, I just paid my $24.00 to become a bronze team member here and I am just waiting for it to become active. BTW, how long should it take, a day or two? Anyway, back to the subject. Next week I'm going to go ahead and give the NRA $35.00 and become a member. Satisfied?

Actually- it's not so much "satisfied" but - well, I'll keep this light - "Great!"

Welcome aboard, twice over.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I finally got an email from them tonight about it.  Typical  blah blah bullshit.  I wasn't to impressed.

If it's the one regarding the NOLA gun consfication, then I completely agree with you.  The NRA, once again a day late and a dollar short.

No doubt we would be worse off without the NRA, but they could do better.  I think I'll send my contribution to GOA  next time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey as much as I would love to see the Pink Pistol membership grow with all you people leaving the "luke-warm NRA"......WE ALL WOULD BE SCREWED WITHOUT THE NRA!!!!  

Unless JPFO or GOA had the same numbers.  It's not about the particular org (except in terms of how much the org is willing to compromise), it's about the membership (voters) that are people in the org.
If those people were in some other org, it would be just as effective.  Maybe more-so because it might be a no compromise org.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top