BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2002 12:02:13 AM EDT
how long does it take to get your appeal in from FBI
NICS Operation Center ??????
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't received a reply back from them for a challenge I sent last February.  I sent it to:

NICS Program Office
Post Office Box 4278
Clarksburg, WV 26302-4278

However, I sent it without a NICS Transaction Number (NTN), and according to two different people I later talked to with the BATF on the phone, they simply refuse to handle appeals without that number.  Did you include that #?  Because they don't deny me, there isn't a number issued, so I can't include it.  However, I don't get an approval.  So if the dealer I'm buying from isn't paranoid, then I get the firearm after a three day delay.  If they are paranoid, I'm denied the purchase because of the dealers fear of the BATF.  Either way, it means I can't buy a firearm at a gun show.

According to one stat I read on the BATF's web site, less than 1% of the denials they issue are successfully challenged.  So, you can either take that to mean that 99% of the denials are because the person can't legally buy a firearm.  Or, the BATF is illegally denying many of the 99% from buying a firearm, and they are not processing the appeals or the buyers are bothering to challenge it.z
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
zoom do you have the BATF phone number????
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I called several different #'s, and I don't remember which one I got the single helpful response from.  I have the following phone numbers in my notes, 404-679-5040, 1-877-444-NICS, 304-625-2000, 304-625-2222 (which I wrote down beside the # that it was actually the FBI, but the woman who answered the phone was knowledgeable on the subject of NICS appeals), and 304-625-2750.

BTW, I do know one person who successfully fought the BATF and won.  They now approve his purchases instantly!  He did have to submit to fingerprinting and give them his SSN.  The BATF is required by law to reply to the denial appeal within five days.  I remember in that case it took them exactly 50, because he often repeated the phrase "BATF math is 10x."  10x the hassle.  10x the rudeness.  10x the delay.  10x the paperwork.  10x the invasion of privacy, etc..z
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top