Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/5/2013 5:41:35 PM EDT
Fucking driving me nuts. I cut out fast food, soda, most junk food and eating less. Maybe start doing some aerobic stuff in the morning?? I know I need to do some cardio, but I don't think my weight should be climbing right now. Gonna make a doctor appointment.

Edit question: My rapid weight gain coincides with me going to a clinic to get my testosterone levels increased. My testosterone levels now look good however my estradiol levels skyrocketed. I am now on arimidex to help bring that down. Think that may have something to do with it.

New edit: Bloodwork shows low T4
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Atkins is currently working for me.  I've dropped about 25 lbs over the past 2 months and have another 25lbs to go.

I don't have to starve myself and I cheated over Thanksgiving.  Pizza, potatoes, and desert

Its pretty a easy diet to stick to.   Breakfast is eggs and bacon/sausage.  Lunch/dinner is  meat, cheese, vegetables, over a bed of letttuce.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a smartphone download MyFitnessPal and track everything you eat... It will give you your daily calorie allowance to lose 2lbs per week. If you don't have a smartphone you can do it on your computer, its just much easier to use the phones camera to scan stuff. Also, walking even 10-30 min a day will help a lot.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a smartphone download MyFitnessPal and track everything you eat... It will give you your daily calorie allowance to lose 2lbs per week. If you don't have a smartphone you can do it on your computer, its just much easier to use the phones camera to scan stuff. Also, walking even 10-30 min a day will help a lot.
View Quote

+1 for fitness pal. Be honest and you'll get a real eye opener!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
No need to go to the doctor.Just lower your carb intake.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
thyroid aids
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The older you get the slower your metabalizm() works
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
What's your weight and how many calories are you consuming per day?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fucking driving me nuts. I cut out fast food, soda, most junk food and eating less. Maybe start doing some aerobic stuff in the morning?? I know I need to do some cardio, but I don't think my weight should be climbing right now. Gonna make a doctor appointment.
View Quote

Be sure to check not only your thyroid but your testosterone levels too.

A fitness routine is a must. Cardio is great but you're also gonna want strength training to reach your potential. Remember, lean muscle burns calories.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on my fitness pal. Also, get a dog. Walk dog 6 miles a day. Works wonders.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#10]
You post a lot about lack of weight loss
No one but yourself can make you lose weight

Stop eating so much.

I didn't care for 10 years. And then I did care and lost 45lbs in 3 months. Sure I was hungry. Sure it sucked. But I wanted to lose the weight

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Check into the 17 day diet, I started it Sept 30th and have dropped 31 pounds already and I'm never hungry. More of a lifestyle change on how I eat instead of an actual diet I think.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A fitness routine is a must. Cardio is great but you're also gonna want strength training to reach your potential. Remember, lean muscle burns calories.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take testosterone weekly. My pituitary does not work right so I take growth hormone as well
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
thyroid aids
View Quote

Do you mean thyroid AIDS or the RX synthroid?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
+1 on my fitness pal. Also, get a dog. Walk dog 6 miles a day. Works wonders.
View Quote

I did that. Feels like I'm married again. Just eat better, less portions, and move more.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking about separating the fridge and the stove/microwave into opposite ends of the house, figure it can't hurt.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you considered crystal meth? I hear that just melts the pounds off.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have you considered crystal meth? I hear that just melts the pounds off.
View Quote

Yeah but the meth bumps are a turn off.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Track what you eat. How much are you gaining per week?

If you are gaining a pound per week remove 4000 calories from your weekly diet and do some moderate exercise, you will start losing at the same rate.

Eat good food too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:02:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Probably genetics. That's what it is most of the time.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I use Lose It.  I'd say use it or one of the tracking programs to see exactly what your caloric intake is.  Its very handy for tracking and will tell you how many calories you should be consuming to maintain your current weight or how many you should consume to hit a target weight.  Just because you cut out the stuff you think is bad, your calorie intake might still surprise you.   Especially if you drink beer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:06:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Thyroid.  Go get your level checked and get back to us.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:08:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I lost 70lbs over a summer by eating a bowl of oatmeal & fruit in the morning and a salad & sammich for dinner. Took my vitamins too. I could do over 100 pull ups, and I did sit ups through the entire duration of the original Lord of the Rings DVD. I was 130lbs, which was actually about 20lbs underweight, but I felt great.

...I think I'm @ 10 pull ups and maybe 50 sit ups right now. 210lbs.

Thyroid. Go get your level checked and get back to us.
View Quote

This. Most likely due to Iodine deficiency. Maybe start taking some iodine supplements? Seaweed caps or something.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:08:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Probably genetics. That's what it is most of the time.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/kaik78/IMG_16037735712586_zpsed7969d8.jpg
View Quote

I hate that bullshit answer
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#24]
This is true:

Quoted:
The older you get the slower your metabalizm() works
View Quote

Hove you noticed an increase in age?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#25]
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/8-ways-to-burn-calories-and-fight-fat

When you exercise, you use muscle. This helps build muscle mass, and muscle tissue burns more calories -- even when you're at rest -- than body fat. According to Wharton, 10 pounds of muscle would burn 50 calories in a day spent at rest, while 10 pounds of fat would burn 20 calories.

"The most effective way to increase metabolism and burn more calories is by aerobic exercise and strength training. Both are important," Megan A. McCrory, PhD, a researcher with the School of Nutrition and Exercise Science at Bastyr University, says in an email interview.

Strength training becomes especially important as we get older, when our metabolisms tend to slow down. One way to stop this is to add some strength training to your workout at least a couple of times a week. The largest muscles (and therefore the largest calorie burners) are in the thighs, abdomen, chest, and arms.

At the end of the day...eat less, move more.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:23:40 AM EDT
[#26]
1.  Eat less animals
2.  Eat more plants (raw)
3.  Sit less
4.  Move more

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Take a look at the Super foods diet.
It will cut your carbs, sugar, and red meat.

I don't have weight issues, but decided to try this out to lower my blood sugar and cholesterol.
I have lost about five pounds with this, never missed it.
My wife is on this diet for weight loss.

You also need to get out and move, run, walk, and weights.
I do all of the above.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I take testosterone weekly. My pituitary does not work right so I take growth hormone as well
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too much estrogen not enough thyroid or a combo would be my guess.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

When you exercise, you use muscle. This helps build muscle mass, and muscle tissue burns more calories -- even when you're at rest -- than body fat. According to Wharton, 10 pounds of muscle would burn 50 calories in a day spent at rest, while 10 pounds of fat would burn 20 calories.

"The most effective way to increase metabolism and burn more calories is by aerobic exercise and strength training. Both are important," Megan A. McCrory, PhD, a researcher with the School of Nutrition and Exercise Science at Bastyr University, says in an email interview.

Strength training becomes especially important as we get older, when our metabolisms tend to slow down. One way to stop this is to add some strength training to your workout at least a couple of times a week. The largest muscles (and therefore the largest calorie burners) are in the thighs, abdomen, chest, and arms.

View Quote

But what if he doesn't want to get huge lifting weights?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Cut the liquor?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was the problem with my dad.  Last year, he just wasn't losing the 15 pounds like he typically did when spring rolled back around.  His doctor told him he could exercise for 2 hours a day and he wouldn't lose the weight.  Once they got it balanced it, he dropped it in no time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:38:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Do you drink?

Have you had your sugar checked?

Have you had your thyroid checked?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:38:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cut the liquor?
View Quote

Don't drink
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:54:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Decrease input - Increase output. More fruit and vegatables. Cut the red meat, bread, beer, and processed food. You will lose weight...quick.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's not.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Decrease input - Increase output. More fruit and vegatables. Cut the red meat, bread, beer, and processed food. You will lose weight...quick and become a lot healthier .
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:01:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Decrease input - Increase output. More fruit and vegatables AND RED MEAT, CUT THE bread, beer, and processed food. You will lose weight...quick.
View Quote

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I have dropped almost 40lbs since August.

6'1 and went from 284 to 247.

All I have done is: quit having alcohol around the house to drink ( rum whiskey beer whatever - yes have drinks when out socially ). The soft drinks / pop obviously were mixers to drinking - all GONE. I drink nothing but water when at home. Eliminated all taters bread rice from diet. All chips and other snacks GONE. I am watching portion control now as well.

I do not starve myself. I eat healthy meals with meat fish chicken - lots of veggies. I have a big salad at least once a day. I snack on baby carrots apples and bananas. I keep Yoplait lite yogurt around for a sweet desert snack. I eat peanuts pistacchios to satisfy the snack cravings.

I just started an exercise program this week and I expect another 25lbs to be gone by Valentines Day. My goal is 210

Losing weight is a cinch if you really WANT to lose it.

You simply eat less - DON'T eat what you know is bad for you and up your exercise / activity level.

Buying a bunch of videos and gimmicky bullshit devices will make your wallet lose weight.

best of luck
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
1.  Eat less animals
2.  Eat more plants (raw)
3.  Sit less
4.  Move more

View Quote

5.  Take more frequent dumps

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Eat less, poop more.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#41]
growth hormones?  how old are you, I think I remember you being late 30s or so.  this could be part of the problem, little late to be trying to grow any taller
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Sparky, whenever anyone starts an I-wanna-lose-weight thread here (including yours), there's always a huge group of people telling the OP to quit with the dead carbs (breads, cereals, oats, corn, rice, wheat, sugar, pasta, potatoes, etc.) and to increase their intake of meat, eggs and low-carb, high-nutrition vegetables. The OP hardly ever responds to these suggestions. Why is that? Is it because you've tried it and it failed or is it because you don't think it could possibly work? I bet it's not the former.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#43]
OP don't listen to anyone telling you to eat less animals, if anything eat more animals and eggs, greens and less carbs also eat 500 less calories a day than your maintenance calorie amount.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#44]
get genetically tested - you'll be surprised.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
growth hormones?  how old are you, I think I remember you being late 30s or so.  this could be part of the problem, little late to be trying to grow any taller
View Quote

I am 43 and growing taller has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I've lost 15 lbs with the thyroid pills.
I also don't fall asleep by merely closing My eyes for 5 seconds.
A real life changer for this old Feller!

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#47]
How much salt are you consuming?  Sodium causes you to retain water.  If you are exercising, muscle is denser than fat.  Watch your waistline, not the scale.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. When you track everything you eat you usually find out that you were not being as healthy as you thought you were.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I finally went vegan, my best pal had tripple by pass and started vegan and I decided to try it. I have lost about 38 pounds, I am 58 and my weight had been going up for quite a while.
Also it helps alot to write down everything that you eat, keep a small note book or use your smart phone, there are apps for that. This way you can track your calories. Also it helps to avoid processed foods, our bodies don't seem to like those as much as non processed foods.
www.forksoverknives.com
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#50]
post a pic of that big ass bowl of fried rice you had a few months back.

could eating like that be the problem?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top